Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

No one lives ,

Wondering if its a film worth watching ?
Because the title gives it away as in everyone dies so you know how it ends, or if anyone survived then wasn't the title false advertising mmmm..

I'm watching as it as I type this ....
troggi likes this.
Old 23rd July 2013, 02:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Easy Rider (1969) Vanishing Point (1971)

Two classic, extremely influential films, both essentially road trips discovering America and both seen as a free spirited reaction against the values of society. Two films with fantastic photography and even better soundtracks. Vanishing Point being more of a spectacular road chase movie than the laid back Easy Rider. Each film has its heroes meeting oddball characters on their journey.

Much has been written about both films and their portrayals of American life and values, yet not so much how i see them. To me both films, Easy Rider in particular, are bittersweet tragedies verging on horror. Sure, neither film features chainsawing wielding psycopaths or homicidal rapists on the hunt for young women, but neither film ends well for the characters we come to love as the films progress.

Easy Rider in particular ends so matter of factly its downright disturbing. Our riders Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda both gunned down, basically for having long hair and riding motorcycles, which the locals in the American south didn't approve of. Its this sequence, the murder of free spirit which is genuinely horrifying has has a greater feel of despair and horror than the majority of fear films that set out to achieve these ends.

In the case of Vanishing Point's Kowalski, he takes that much speed and other drugs during his high speed pursuits his faculties are clearly twisted as the inevitable conclusion nears with his task near completion. Our other reference point in the film - Super Soul - brilliantly portrayed by Cleavon Little - receives a beating almost unnecesarily from the locals which jars the viewer into reality from all the high speed fun.

Easy Rider and Vanishing Point - horror films because they fail to conform to what possibly the viewer and certainly society see as the norm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easyrider1poster7-13-11.jpg (43.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vanishing_point_xlg.jpg (94.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd July 2013, 04:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Near Dark. It has been a while and I may have detected some clunk after all this time, but it still beats the donkey piss out of The Least Boys

IMO.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd July 2013, 04:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watched Near Dark. It has been a while and I may have detected some clunk after all this time, but it still beats the donkey piss out of The Least Boys

IMO.
YES!!!
Old 23rd July 2013, 04:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

IMO.
Near dark is the better movie but I find lost boys a lot more fun but both are a million times better than those twilight movies.
troggi likes this.
Old 23rd July 2013, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm not rising to the bait here

I watched the DC of the Wicker Man earlier today, can't wait to see this classic in HD, especially the poor quality inserts on the DVD upgraded for the first time
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd July 2013, 05:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched the DC of the Wicker Man earlier today, can't wait to see this classic in HD, especially the poor quality inserts on the DVD upgraded for the first time
Ditto. Yeah, some of those inserts are rotten, especially when it happens within the same shot. I wonder when we'll get news of any newly unearthed footage . . . ?
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Ditto. Yeah, some of those inserts are rotten, especially when it happens within the same shot. I wonder when we'll get news of any newly unearthed footage . . . ?
Hopefully soon
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Looking forward to the alternate ending where Howie manages to pilot the Wicker Man like a Pacific Rim Jaeger, and uses it to kill all the townsfolk and walk across the sea to freedom . . .
Rik, Demoncrat, trebor8273 and 3 others like this.
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Looking forward to the alternate ending where Howie manages to pilot the Wicker Man like a Pacific Rim Jaeger, and uses it to kill all the townsfolk and walk across the sea to freedom . . .
Dammit SJ, where's the SPOILER TAGS around that post, cancelling my pre-order now the endings ruined for me

Like this? Share it using the links below!