All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2013, 07:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)

I've owned this film for three years and always put off watching it. A bit of madness on my part because its an absolutely terrific film. It tells the tale of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, and stars Charlton Heston, James Stewart, Betty Hutton, Cornel Wilde, Gloria Grahame and Dorothy Lamour.

In addition to the stars the film also features the real B&B / RB circus of the time, with its complement of 1400 people, hundreds of animals, and 60 carloads of equipment and tents. The actors learned their respective circus roles and participated in the acts.

The acts are phenomenal and really exciting to watch especially Wilde and Hutton on the high trapeze. Cecil B. DeMille's direction is flawless and he ensures a two and a half hour film flies by in a script full of drama, passion and excitement.
I love this movie! It used to be on telly regularly as I was growing up but it never seemed to be that long, I can't even remember going to the loo while it was on, certainly not when I was sat in the living room any way!

Monster Magnet
Old 14th August 2013, 07:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
A night of B movie thrills...

The Alligator People (1959)

Devil Girl From Mars (1954)

The Astounding She-Monster (1957)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not seen either of those. I wish you'd write some mini reviews to accompany your lists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Me too!
Yeah throw us a crumb, mate! I hope Dave Boy doesn't think we're ganging up on him and being big bullies 'cos I'm not, don't know 'bout the others though cos they only speak t' me t' tell me off, an they only let me 'ave one sip o' water ev'ry three days, an...no! Don't 'it me again, Mah-thter!

Monster Magnet
Old 14th August 2013, 08:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"The Beyond" (1981)
Recorded earlier from the Horror Channel. Many more people have waxed lyrical upon this masterpiece of rigatoni horror cinema and I will not dare to add my insignificant remarks to the experts. What I will say is "fantastic, a treat for the eyes, ears and that blancmange-y bit inside processes all the noises and sights!"

Monster Magnet
Old 14th August 2013, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Intruder

Another classic that I had never seen, really enjoyed this lots of gore and great kills, the killer is totally off his rocker and the scene with head was one of many highlights. Great picture quality ang region free will have to pick up some more synapse releases. 9.5/10
Old 14th August 2013, 10:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Kick-Ass 2 - 3.5/5

Very enjoyable sequel, probably funnier than the first one.
troggi likes this.
Old 14th August 2013, 10:48 PM
Cult Addict

Bullettothehead.jpg

This got pretty slated on its theatrical run and its easy to see why. Its fairly generic, adds little new to the mix in terms of plot twists. I still liked it however.

Firstly it has an asian actor as the central protagonist who doesn't fill the predictable hollywood stereotypes which is new enough on its own to make the film interesting.

Secondly Stallone is great as the gruff world weary hitman.

Thirdly, unlike a lot of hollywood tat, this one isn't afraid to lay on the brutality. There's plenty of messy deaths and brutal fights and the film doesn't pull its punches for the dreaded pg-13.

Fourthly, Walter hill can still direct action, and this is still very much a Walter hill film. It has the gruff world weary voice over (not overused and coming only really at the end) plenty of Booze and sudden violence. Even the score is classic Walter hill territory.

Honestly the film did more to drag me back to the days of VHS rentals from the local corner shop than either of the Expendables movies ever did. There are no knowing nods or winks to camera and as a result it feels far more like a late eighties early nineties direct to video action film as a result. Leering evil villains, unsympathetic antiheroes... as generic as it is the film is a really fun 90 minutes.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 15th August 2013, 12:52 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"The Beyond" (1981)
Recorded earlier from the Horror Channel. Many more people have waxed lyrical upon this masterpiece of rigatoni horror cinema and I will not dare to add my insignificant remarks to the experts. What I will say is "fantastic, a treat for the eyes, ears and that blancmange-y bit inside processes all the noises and sights!"

Am interested to know what your "x"/10 rating would be for this one, troggi.
troggi likes this.
Old 15th August 2013, 02:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Am interested to know what your "x"/10 rating would be for this one, troggi.
Me too, it's my favourite of the Fulci zombie type films.
troggi likes this.
Old 15th August 2013, 03:01 AM
Cult Addict

Watched 'Spider baby' with my daughter at the weekend, she paid attention throughout (hardly texted at all), which was a good sign and seemed to find it quite funny. When it finished i asked what she thought and she said 'it was ok'.
More than ok in my mind, it's a classic.
Love the weird atmosphere, the girls creepy but funny performances and their uncle and his new girlfriend are brilliant too ( sweet and endearing but entertainingly kooky). Lon Chaney gives a nice performance too.
In my mind it's a forerunner to Texas Chainsaw with it's totally bizarre family and seems ahead of it's time.
It's been a favourite of mine for a few years now. At the moment i still have the image entertainment disc but am quite tempted to upgrade to the Arrow disc, maybe when i have a bit more money because theres always so many films that i want but haven't got a copy of at all.
Old 15th August 2013, 06:41 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Watched 'Spider baby' with my daughter at the weekend, she paid attention throughout (hardly texted at all), which was a good sign and seemed to find it quite funny. When it finished i asked what she thought and she said 'it was ok'.
More than ok in my mind, it's a classic.
Love the weird atmosphere, the girls creepy but funny performances and their uncle and his new girlfriend are brilliant too ( sweet and endearing but entertainingly kooky). Lon Chaney gives a nice performance too.
In my mind it's a forerunner to Texas Chainsaw with it's totally bizarre family and seems ahead of it's time.
It's been a favourite of mine for a few years now. At the moment i still have the image entertainment disc but am quite tempted to upgrade to the Arrow disc, maybe when i have a bit more money because theres always so many films that i want but haven't got a copy of at all.
If you only have the image disc make sure to keep hold of it if you upgrade. The Arrow version, like the Dark sky is the longer directors cut and has different bonus material. Its worth the upgrade though.
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!