Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2013, 09:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vippo View Post
@Troggi, that is a massive box of Sci-Fi films!.
Yes and I'm only a third of the way through. It sometimes feels a bit like a chore to tell the truth because of the bad quality of most films!
trebor8273 likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 19th August 2013, 11:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Yes and I'm only a third of the way through. It sometimes feels a bit like a chore to tell the truth because of the bad quality of most films!
God knows how long it will take me take get through the five similar box sets I have!
troggi likes this.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
So what went wrong?

I think the simple answer is no one was around to suggest changes to Lucas and he had enough money to put whatever brain farts came to the surface without anyone saying "sorry George, this idea is actually pretty shit" or "no George, those characters come across as racist caricatures" The original Star wars was shot on a tight budget by a young director who could actually listen to people and was constrained by a tight budget. Hell, look at what he did to the originals when he had the budget and the ability to go back over them in the film making Photoshop studio. After watching the Animated Clone wars series and seeing what the setting could be like without the bearded clams interference it makes me wish he had simply handed his notes to a director like Lawrence Kasdan and said go to work, meanwhile using that insane amount of money he has to start a fund to finance and distribute low budget independent films. I seriously don't think he should be let near a film as director or writer ever again.
That, and the fact that the films didn't need to exist in the first place. The story of Anakin's turn to the dark side works better if you don't see it as far as I'm concerned and these prequels (as many others) are guilty of over-explaining everything and tying everything up in neat little coincidences. Plus, there's a severe lack of dramatic tension since the outcome of everything is already known. "Oh, Yoda is fighting Christoper Lee! Whoever will win? My bets on the little green dude who features in the subsequent films". The prequels do get progressively better but the third one is still a turd.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
That, and the fact that the films didn't need to exist in the first place. The story of Anakin's turn to the dark side works better if you don't see it as far as I'm concerned and these prequels (as many others) are guilty of over-explaining everything and tying everything up in neat little coincidences. Plus, there's a severe lack of dramatic tension since the outcome of everything is already known. "Oh, Yoda is fighting Christoper Lee! Whoever will win? My bets on the little green dude who features in the subsequent films". The prequels do get progressively better but the third one is still a turd.
This, and the fact that the Star Wars films were a one off (three off) cultural phenomenon which somehow captured the hearts and minds of the world. There was a certain magic to them that could never be reproduced twenty years later.

The same goes for the Indiana Jones films.
Old 19th August 2013, 01:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

Hell i'd also level the same charges at Stanley Kubrick, eyes wide shut is probably the most self indulgent and over long of his films but I still keep coming back to it time and time again. he basically got carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wanted and it shows.
That's because he filmed the moon landings for NASA! After that Kubrick could do no wrong!!
Old 19th August 2013, 03:44 PM
Cult Master

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - American remake

Well, I say I watched it. I think I lasted about 50 minutes before I turned it off (just after the anal rape scene)

All I can say is...'I'm glad this was remade because I'm too lazy to read films, and I love remakes where all the complex issues are spelled out in BIG LETTERS so I don't have to figure anything out myself!!!!'

Note - This is irony. I hate remakes which give everything on a plate, without the viewer having to work and figure things out
troggi likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th August 2013, 06:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
God knows how long it will take me take get through the five similar box sets I have!
I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or jealous of you!

Monster Magnet
Old 19th August 2013, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The hand

Can see why it gets a bad rap, but enjoyed it. 6.5/10

This night I will possess your corpse

Fantastic even better than at midnight I will take your souls, amazing imagery with a unique style and the scene where he gets dragged to hell is a surreal and psychodalic masterpeice. 10/10

Dr terrors house of horrors.

Nothing more than I can say than 9.5/10

Up next Is The Haunting (1963)
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dude, let us know what you think of The Haunting. I'm dying to see it again after reading The Haunting of Hill House a few weeks ago. A real creepy read...
troggi likes this.
Old 19th August 2013, 07:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Dude, let us know what you think of The Haunting. I'm dying to see it again after reading The Haunting of Hill House a few weeks ago. A real creepy read...
Will do, just started enjoying it but some of the actings a bit amateurish and hammy!
troggi likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th August 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!