Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2013, 09:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

ABC's of Death. Works better on the smaller screen. The extras also look interesting - I have only watched D for Dog Fight and T for Toilet so far (along with P for Pressure they are my favourite chapters).
troggi likes this.
Old 20th August 2013, 02:04 AM
Cult Addict

martyrs.jpg

Just finished watching 'Martyrs', must say that i thought it was very good.
I'd heard differing opinions of the film but tried not to hear too much about what actually happens in the film.
Heard it was very harsh and brutal, and it is, but i didn't feel at any time that it was exploitative or overly gratuitous.

It is hard to sit through at times, but the two main female performances raised it above the crowd for me,i thought they gave very good performances.

I generally dislike modern torture style horror films but this was centred around the effects of captivity on the victim and therefore had to have difficult scenes to make us aware of the impact it has on the victim and the villains of the piece are in no way glorified.
In the villains there is more reasoning and motivation than i expected which makes them seem even more chilling, they have a purpose. (even if it is pretty warped.) I will not go into detail but i did not expect this element.

The film was well made and quite creepy in a few of the earlier scenes, and i was impressed by the amount of dread the director created.
The plot takes a few twists that i did not expect and kept me gripped throughout.

I think a lot of the reason it has it's haters is that the film is very serious and doesn't try to just entertain us but provoke thought and it seems very realistic in its violence.
Not a film i can easily recommend because it is quite an ordeal at times, but i am glad i watched it. I'm sat here thinking about it now writing this and i can tell it's one of those films i'll be thinking about for a while ( this in my mind is a good thing.)
Hard to recommend but if your'e looking for something a bit challenging i would say go for it. 8/10
Old 20th August 2013, 09:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The haunting 1963

Very effective and chilling haunted house story, only downside for me was the amateurish acting of some of the cast. 8/10
troggi likes this.
Old 20th August 2013, 09:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was distinctly mediocre without any of the attention to detail, engaging central characters or emotional impact of the Pixar films. I think Cars is probably the weakest Pixar film but it's head and shoulders above Planes which just doesn't have the Pixar magic.
Fair enough Nos. Funny thats almost the exact criticism I'd level at Pixars latest effort Monsters University. In fact I think they've been off there game for a while, since Up really.
Maybe I went into Planes with low expectations given how dull I found the Cars films to be.
troggi likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 20th August 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 20th August 2013, 09:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I didn't think much of 'The Brood' when i first saw it many years ago, but revisiting it made me appreciate it much more now i'm older. I really liked it last time i saw it although 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films.

Watched 'Cosmopolis' the other day, i started it the first time but only got half an hour into it and decided to go to bed instead, it's filled with dense complicated dialogue that put me off( i'd had a few beers by this time).

On my second attempt i was sober and paid attention, i found it interesting but a little dull (mainly because the lead character spends most of the time in his car), i can see how it fit's into Cronenberg's world, being about the decline of a career and in consequence mental disintegration, and the protagonist breaking down the barriers of his rigid overly structured life. (or something like that)
I think it's worth a watch if you're in the right mood, but don't know if i'd actually go so far as to recommend it to anyone. 5/10 for me

I know Cronenberg's older and most people mellow with age, but i wish he would go back to his horror/sci-fi roots. It's sad to see him making mediocre drama films when he is capable of creating really twisted and visionary work.

Totally agree he can make some twisted and bizarre films , cosmopolis tried watching twice just haven't took to it each time, wasn't over keen on crash but still enjoyable none the less, even enjoyed Eastern Promise, there was something about history of violence I felt you was short changed with but can't quite put my finger on it , think 2nd half was sort of rushed and was over before it you know it, type of film that would have worked better it was eg another half hour longer felt like the hour and half was just a tadge to short, I think the only film of his I haven't seen yet is a dangerous method
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th August 2013, 09:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Attachment 117753

Hard to recommend but if your'e looking for something a bit challenging i would say go for it. 8/10
Great review nos! It sounds like the sort of film that I would normally avoid but would probably watch now that I have been forewarned!
nosferatu42 likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 20th August 2013, 10:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
That, and the fact that the films didn't need to exist in the first place. The story of Anakin's turn to the dark side works better if you don't see it as far as I'm concerned and these prequels (as many others) are guilty of over-explaining everything and tying everything up in neat little coincidences.
A good point Paul, never really thought of that but a lot of the original trilogies magic came from the mythology behind it that you never saw. The new trilogy is actually the product of Lucas's obsession with tampering and CGI. It's also worth noting that to tell the origin story well some very good actors (and a much better director for that matter) would be required to play Anakin and seeing as by default they would have to be child actors it was always going to be touch and go whether it would work.
PaulD and troggi like this.
Old 20th August 2013, 10:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The other thing about the prequel trilogy which is annoying is that if watched in order by someone just getting into Star Wars without any prior knowledge of the series, the most spectacular twist is ruined and all the drama of The Empire Strikes Back is sucked away.

Vader: "No, I am your father!"
Viewer: "well, obviously. We saw Luke's birth in the third film"
Lucas: *facepalm*
Susan Foreman and troggi like this.
Old 20th August 2013, 10:38 AM
Cult Addict

Hadn't considered that either. On the topic of the drama of Empire it's interesting to note that Empire is generally considered the best of the original trilogy and therefore the best of the six films and also the one old Georgie had the least involvement in. The other thing I find with the new trilogy, certainly with Phantom Menace anyway is how blatantly it was made to appeal to kids and make oodles of money from the merchandising and also hook in the kids with little regard for fans of the old films. But lets be honest Lucas is essentially an entrepreneur with a good idea that he's milked the bollocks off.
keirarts, trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 20th August 2013, 10:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ghastly Ones (Andy Milligan). Some Victorian (?) types end up in Milligan's house for high jinks and swirling cameras. Notoriously BANNED in the UK because some people can't tell the difference betwixt a dummy and a real body. Would make a great double bill with The Cabin In The Woods

Hired To Kill (Nico Masterakis, 1990) Brian Thompson (WHO? oh, him from The X Files....) is a man on the edge. Sent into a cliche ridden jungle with only a gaggle of hotties to keep him company. In reality, there are a crack fighting force sent to blow Oliver Reed's chin into the next world for the crime of being "liberal". Was too busy laughing like a drain to pay attention. Must make mention of the script which, whilst peppered with anti-american sentiments, is unintentionally(?) hilarious. Recommended!!

(The) Black Cobra (Stelvio Massi, 1987) A lacklustre presentation (fuzzy print) didn't detract too much, though in the nighttime scenes, twas hard to make out the "action" at times. Fred Williamson saves Eva Grimaldi from some nasty bikers. He isn't exactly a saint himself!! Yes, it's a late entry poliziotteschi, bit dull but quite violent, must find me a better print methinks!

Undead. Hated the ST, total misfire etc. Other than that, I enjoyed this rather mish mash genre film, and would recommend it to undemanding zombie fans.

The Ouija Experiment aka The Realm (Israel Luna, 2011). As PA ripoffs go, this was far better than The Sigil etc. Some idiots get hold of a Ouija board. guess what happens? As even I am getting bored with FF films, as they always break their own rules eventually, i'l only say that it's a great way to get rid of unwanted guests haha.

The G String Horror. (Charles Webb, 2012) more FF shenanigans in a haunted strip club. People never learn, do they? more of a fake doc than actual FF (it has "reconstructions" etc), this reasonably interesting premise dissolves in the director's own glee at what he hath created. Bit dull, to be honest.

Also watched few episodes of Hammer House Of Horror. Eeh, they don't make 'em like they used to......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!