Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 9th September 2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 179781)
A prime example of a remake being far superior to the original

Violence is Italian Art

i have a radio version of "who goes there?", and Mr Hawks version... i like all 3 as they are all different in approach IMO

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th September 2011 11:27 AM

I watched Mark of the Devil (and with the commentary) last night and it may seem a similar film to Witchfinder General, but this is more about the continental approach to dealing with 'witches' with the emphasis on the torture. It's a really nasty film, but in a good way based on real events, with lines from documented witch trials and with real torture equipment from the time.

It's a really interesting watch so, if you like Witchfinder General, it's definitely worth a look.

Rik 9th September 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 179801)
I watched Mark of the Devil (and with the commentary) last night and it may seem a similar film to Witchfinder General, but this is more about the continental approach to dealing with 'witches' with the emphasis on the torture. It's a really nasty film, but in a good way based on real events, with lines from documented witch trials and with real torture equipment from the time.

It's a really interesting watch so, if you like Witchfinder General, it's definitely worth a look.

I've never seen this, which disc would you recommend Nos?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th September 2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 179806)

The R1 Blue Underground DVD Is the best around and the one I have. i think it's OOP but you can buy it from Amazon Marketplace.

Rik 9th September 2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 179813)
The R1 Blue Underground DVD Is the best around and the one I have. i think it's OOP but you can buy it from Amazon Marketplace.

Cheers Nos, I'll look into it, it's one of those films I've wanted to see for ages but never got round to it.

platostotal 9th September 2011 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just watched the WB dvd of THE WILD BUNCH(see cover below) great film but... It has a really weird transfer that seems way too oversharpened, halo's a plenty, cured it a bit by dvd and tv's sharpness to -10, won't spoil your enjoyment, but was noticeable to me. Got it dirt cheap so I'll get the blu later.

James Morton 9th September 2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 179806)

There's a new R1 Blue Underground of MARK OF THE DEVIL new and wrapped on ebay for £10+

James Morton 9th September 2011 12:34 PM

What films have you seen recently?

Fulci's FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE
saw it again but I'm selling it
not a great western, despite some gory bits

Rik 9th September 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 179826)
There's a new R1 Blue Underground of MARK OF THE DEVIL new and wrapped on ebay for £10+

It's on my watchlist, and I've seen it slightly cheaper on Amazon by the same seller

gag 9th September 2011 04:42 PM

Just watched
The Church ..Soavi never seen it before thought it was ok but thought the whole entire ending was a little let down and rubbish..

Rik 9th September 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 179878)
Just watched
The Church ..Soavi never seen it before thought it was ok but thought the whole entire ending was a little let down and rubbish..

I really enjoyed this the first time I saw it(on VHS, kindly borrowed from the library by my worried looking Sicilian Catholic mother), fast forward about 10 years and I bagged a copy of the ABUS DVD for a small amount on eBay. The ending is a bit rubbish, but overall I think it's a good film and you can clearly see Argento's influence in certain scenes, just a shame the disc is bare bones

Violence is Italian Art

Rik 9th September 2011 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished watching this Attachment 20515 my favourite adaption of one of my favourite pieces of Gothic literature. Robert Englund is fantastic in this, the Phantom make up looks amazing, the score is beatiful and the photography of the set pieces is well shot. Highly recommended if you haven't already seen this, I first saw it about 20 years ago when it was shown on Sky TV. The disc itself is pretty poor though, it's a flipper with widescreen on one side and full on the other, with only a trailer added. Film 8/10, Disc 3/10. This is definitely due a UK release!

Next up is my first viewing of Argento's The Stendhal Syndrome (Arrow):popcorn:

pedromonkey 10th September 2011 12:58 AM

just finished watching Zombieland as my brother had never seen it before, he really enjoyed it and i enjoyed it even more this time around.

Rik 10th September 2011 09:56 AM

Really enjoyed Stendhal Syndrome so I thought I'd end my nights viewing by watching another Argento film recorded from the Horror Channel, Terror at the opera. Hadn't seen this for years, it was in Italian with English subs, and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I think I'll pick up the Arrow Video DVD sometime.

Violence is Italian Art

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th September 2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 180013)
just finished watching Zombieland as my brother had never seen it before, he really enjoyed it and i enjoyed it even more this time around.

Did he know about the cameo and, if not, did he think it was as cool as just about everyone else did (and still does)?

enterthehero 10th September 2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 180054)
Did he know about the cameo and, if not, did he think it was as cool as just about everyone else did (and still does)?

That's what made the film for me! When I saw bm on the gates I was thinking who's bm, and when I finally saw I was so happy lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609178,-0.268944

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th September 2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enterthehero (Post 180058)
That's what made the film for me! When I saw bm on the gates I was thinking who's bm, and when I finally saw I was so happy lol

Same here -- I couldn't figure out who BM could be and, when he appeared, the grin on my face was huge!

platostotal 10th September 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 180037)
Really enjoyed Stendhal Syndrome so I thought I'd end my nights viewing by watching another Argento film recorded from the Horror Channel, Terror at the opera. Hadn't seen this for years, it was in Italian with English subs, and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I think I'll pick up the Arrow Video DVD sometime.

Violence is Italian Art

I really need to watch STENDHAL again, I didn't like it at all years ago, but it gets good marks on here so I'll grab it and give it another go.

platostotal 10th September 2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 179825)
Just watched the WB dvd of THE WILD BUNCH(see cover below) great film but... It has a really weird transfer that seems way too oversharpened, halo's a plenty, cured it a bit by dvd and tv's sharpness to -10, won't spoil your enjoyment, but was noticeable to me. Got it dirt cheap so I'll get the blu later.

I should add that it's a very early dvd, halfway thru you get a spinning disc icon and have to flip the disc over, ha ha ha. holy laser disc batman. the remastered SE 2 disc set is the one to go for.

pedromonkey 10th September 2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 180054)

he didn't Nos and it came as a great surprise as i didn't tell about it before hand. I however was more impressed with Emma Stone's....well Emma Stone's everything. great fun film though..

Prince_Vajda 10th September 2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 180071)
I should add that it's a very early dvd, halfway thru you get a spinning disc icon and have to flip the disc over, ha ha ha. holy laser disc batman. the remastered SE 2 disc set is the one to go for.

The bonus on this release is also top-notch!

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 179781)
A prime example of a remake being far superior to the original

Violence is Italian Art

Not really sure about that.

Considering when each film was made Hawk's original is outstanding.

Rik 10th September 2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 180094)
Not really sure about that.

Considering when each film was made Hawk's original is outstanding.

I haven't seen it for over 20 years, maybe I should give it another shot seeing as I was probably only about 11 or 12 when I first saw it, I think I remember enjoying it though

antmumford 10th September 2011 02:31 PM

Yesterday I watched The Spy Next Door so now I've finally seen all his films. It was actually an ok film, I know its aimed at a kids audience and that really shows in the cartoonish characters and inept acting but it had some good moments too. I just do hope Jackie doesn't go down that route again though.

This morning I watched The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael and I have to say it wasn't the best option for first film if the day, especially as Kelly was semi watching it with me. All I can say is that is some disturbing stuff, the final scene wipes the floor of the Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer home invasion scene. It was very well shot with some good long single take tracking shots but don't think I'd watch again just because of the rather shocking finale, its hard to watch.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

pedromonkey 10th September 2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 180115)
Yesterday I watched The Spy Next Door so now I've finally seen all his films. It was actually an ok film, I know its aimed at a kids audience and that really shows in the cartoonish characters and inept acting but it had some good moments too. I just do hope Jackie doesn't go down that route again though.

my bro and i really enjoyed it, made it even more better with the fact that the villain is Sporticus off of Lazy Town..

Ant, wait till monday because Shaolin is out and it has Jackie in it. Really great film too..

antmumford 10th September 2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 180129)
my bro and i really enjoyed it, made it even more better with the fact that the villain is Sporticus off of Lazy Town..

Ant, wait till monday because Shaolin is out and it has Jackie in it. Really great film too..

Yeah I know, can't wait. It looks like a great film but I won't be able to buy it until next pay day, I'm skint.

pedromonkey 10th September 2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 180135)
Yeah I know, can't wait. It looks like a great film but I won't be able to buy it until next pay day, I'm skint.

man that sucks, i only saw it because i was sent the review disc. It's a very epic film and Andy Lau is brilliant.

antmumford 10th September 2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 180136)
man that sucks, i only saw it because i was sent the review disc. It's a very epic film and Andy Lau is brilliant.

As always :)

Slippery Jack 10th September 2011 06:41 PM

The Case of the Bloody Iris
AKA What Are Those Strange Drops of Blood on Jennifer's Body? ...:lol:

My first step into the world of non-Argento Gialli! No great shakes, but I did find stuff to like, mainly in the odd quirks and strange vein of humour (not all of it intentional). I thought director Guiliano Carnimeo made a decent stab (ha!) at bringing some style to the sub-standard material – lots of jaunty, stylised camera angles and some interesting location choices. I enjoyed seeing the crowded city streets here, in contrast to Argento’s largely uninhabited Rome. The casual attitude to death I found pretty amusing – it takes four separate murders before Jennifer thinks it best to move out of her apartment building. More chuckles in the form of the camp photographer, who both looked and sounded like Woody Allen! (does every Giallo feature a flamboyant gay stereotype?).

Very little going on plot wise – the mystery element is barley there , and the final killer reveal feels completely random from the bizarre mix of suspects. Set pieces were ok – a daylight stabbing in a crowd must’ve been seen by Argento. Saxon’s death scene in Tenebrae feels very similar. Less successful is a crowbarred-in sexploitation scene, featuring a live sex/wrestling show! It smacks of a scene filmed solely to include in the trailer to draw in the punters – needless to say it does nothing to advance the plot! All in all, watchable, but nothing special.

antmumford 10th September 2011 09:54 PM

Throughout the day I have watched:

They Wait - Surprisingly well made and scary, a good Poundland purchase.

Sherry Baby - Saggy Maggy as brilliant as ever, quite a depressing film though.

Taxi 3 - Bloody brilliant fun. I love all the Taxi films, they really make me laugh. I just really take to French humour. Can't wait to get Taxi 4 now, its a series that would continue until my dying day if I had my way.

I'm just pressing play now to watch Prince of Darkness for the first time.

pedromonkey 10th September 2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 180253)
Throughout the day I have watched:

They Wait - Surprisingly well made and scary, a good Poundland purchase.

Sherry Baby - Saggy Maggy as brilliant as ever, quite a depressing film though.

Taxi 3 - Bloody brilliant fun. I love all the Taxi films, they really make me laugh. I just really take to French humour. Can't wait to get Taxi 4 now, its a series that would continue until my dying day if I had my way.

I'm just pressing play now to watch Prince of Darkness for the first time.

did you like the Cameo at the beginning Ant? Love the Taxi films, some of the best non hollywood car work done. any idea if they've sub'd the 4th film yet?

antmumford 10th September 2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 180260)
did you like the Cameo at the beginning Ant? Love the Taxi films, some of the best non hollywood car work done. any idea if they've sub'd the 4th film yet?

Oh yeah it was awesome and completely unexpected too. Do you mean has it got English subs? If so then yeah I think it does, don't know, why were there problems or something?

pedromonkey 10th September 2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 180261)
Oh yeah it was awesome and completely unexpected too. Do you mean has it got English subs? If so then yeah I think it does, don't know, why were there problems or something?

yeah that's what i ment, i have all three so far but really want the 4th, hopefully there's a Korean disc somewhere with english subs...

antmumford 10th September 2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 180265)
yeah that's what i ment, i have all three so far but really want the 4th, hopefully there's a Korean disc somewhere with english subs...

I know its not accurate but according to lovefilm the UK optimum release is French language and English subs but I guess that's not right then?

James Morton 11th September 2011 11:39 AM

What films have you seen recently?

SOLDIER BLUE - classic violent western
FEMME FATALE = underrated and brilliant De Palma thriller with sexy Rebecca Romijn
the twists are unexpected

Paul@TheOverlook 11th September 2011 12:08 PM

I think Femme Fatale is a cracking film too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 02:38 PM

Thanks for mentioning Taxi 4 guys.

Just ordered the Optimum disc from Amazon - £4.99

pedromonkey 11th September 2011 03:47 PM

went hardcore last night and watched the frankly terrifying HOP, actually was pretty funny kids film given a more dirty edge thanks to Russell Brand's voice as E.B the easter bunny.

back to the blood tonight though with Slaughter High and Terror At the Opera me thinks

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 07:22 PM

Here's the last 20 films I've seen in order. A little OCD? Perhaps.

nekromantik 11th September 2011 07:30 PM

Kyle I know u loved Kidnapped :)