All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2013, 01:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Willow Creek -

The one and only film I saw at the Frightfest, I'm ashamed to say. I go every year, but this year due to funds tied up in a holiday and an - IMO - rather underwhelming line-up, I decided to be strict and pick one film. I chose this low key feature, relegated to the smaller discovery screen, directed by Bobcat Goldthwait - stand-up comedian and director of God Bless America and World's Greatest Dad, although most commonly known for his performance as 'Zed' from the Police Academy films.

It was so so. My two companions were more taken with it more than I was, as it's yet another found-footage film, closer tonally and stylistically to The Blair Witch Project, only given a Bigfoot spin. How much you buy into it will depend how much you still buy into the convention because, like TBWP, this eschews the manic energy of films like Rec or Evidence, and instead takes the minimalist approach: strange sounds in the night and disturbed campsites being two common motifs associated with the genre. What it does have going for it is a sense of humour and two likable leads who are a pleasure to be in the company of. And in fairness it proves that a single 18 minute or so shot of two people looking scared shitless in a tent as they listen to eerie sounds outside is still pretty unnerving.

Goldthwait hasn't done anything even remotely original with the format, but Willow Creek is not without its pleasures. It's not a bad film by any stretch, but the over-familiarity and complete adherence to genre conventions will no doubt result in direct to DVD obscurity, which is where it deserves to find its home. Still, as expected, he was a great raconteur and I enjoyed hearing him talk about the film as much, if not more, than the film itself. And I walked out of the screening only to meet Terry Gilliam outside and get an autograph, so a good afternoon was had.
I was also at this screening and really wanted to like the movie more as a massive fan of Bobcat and his movies but i am getting a little tired of the found footage genre but i certainly enjoyed it more than most due to the likeable characters and humour.
It was certainly better than all the movies i saw at Frightfest that day except for Cheap Thrills which was bloody great.

I will say he is one of the nicest celebrities i have had the pleasure to meet. I spoke to him on the opening night and he even asked for my name and offered to reserve a ticket for me to the screening as seats were limited as only shown in a small screen.
Plus meeting Terry Gilliam and getting a photo opportunity with him was an unexpected bonus.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th August 2013, 01:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

D'oh! Three of us in one room and no meetup . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 28th August 2013, 01:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
I will say he is one of the nicest celebrities i have had the pleasure to meet. I spoke to him on the opening night and he even asked for my name and offered to reserve a ticket for me to the screening as seats were limited as only shown in a small screen.
Plus meeting Terry Gilliam and getting a photo opportunity with him was an unexpected bonus.
I actually got Bobcat to sign my copy of God Bless America, as I love that film, and he was indeed charming. He said "No one in America has seen this film", which is more than a slight exaggeration I'm sure (it's on Netflix for god's sake, and my blu is a US release) but I can imagine the scathing social critique wasn't as well received over there.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th August 2013, 03:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Was it Beyond Atlantis ?

Wes, you're a genius! To be able to find that from the sketchy details I gave shows an encyclopaedic knowledge of dodgy films. I tip my hat to you, "Guru of the B movie!"
Wes likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 28th August 2013, 07:57 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

EVIL ALIENS...perhaps the only film that exists or will ever exist with both The Wurzels and the Beast Himself, The Master Therion...Aleister Crowley on the soundtrack. It's worth watching for that mind frazzling audio weirdness alone.
Wes, PaulD, Susan Foreman and 3 others like this.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
EVIL ALIENS...perhaps the only film that exists or will ever exist with both The Wurzels and the Beast Himself, The Master Therion...Aleister Crowley on the soundtrack. It's worth watching for that mind frazzling audio weirdness alone.
Well, I'm intrigued... is this the same bit of audio that turns up on a thousand DIY Industrial tapes ?
troggi likes this.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Happiness of the Katakuris" (2001)
Takashi Miike's musical extravaganza featuring unfortunate deaths, song and dance undead and a Great Grandfather with an unerring aim! If I could find any sense in this film I wouldn't love it half as much. There are times in life when it is best to just let go with the belly laughs, watching "Happiness of the Katakuris" is one of those times. 18/10 for the errant nephew of our Queen!

"Clive Barker's Book of Blood" (2009) Good ideas, well acted, good story, decent dialogue, very good visual and audio effects, so what's missing? Damned if I know but it left me flat even though it seemed the ideal choice of film for 03:00 in the morning. 10/10 for Robin Hood's chin and winkie!

"The House by the Cemetery" (1981)
Someone needs to give that kid a lollipop or something to really whine about. Maybe the reason he won't shush is that they've told him that he's George Osborn's love-child. 15/10 or 19/10 if they manage to sacrifice the blonde kid!

Monster Magnet
Old 28th August 2013, 08:06 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Well, I'm intrigued... is this the same bit of audio that turns up on a thousand DIY Industrial tapes ?
It's "I've got a brand new combine harvester". Is that big in the industrial scene?
Old 28th August 2013, 08:07 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"The House by the Cemetery" (1981)
Someone needs to give that kid a lollipop or something to really whine about. Maybe the reason he won't shush is that they've told him that he's George Osborn's love-child. 15/10 or 19/10 if they manage to sacrifice the blonde kid![/SIZE][/FONT]

It's a truly appalling choice of dubbing on him isn't it? I rwwtzhed A Blade in the Dark yesterday and he crops up at the start too. He's in a few Italian horror/exploitation films.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
It's "I've got a brand new combine harvester". Is that big in the industrial scene?
It was until false idols like Nine Inch Nails moved in and killed it for me...

Like this? Share it using the links below!