Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 180424)
Kyle I know u loved Kidnapped :)

Meh - it was pretty good. Urban Explorer was better though. :laugh:

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 07:32 PM

I watched Midnight and Pieces today. Pieces is an absolute classic. Absurd dialogue and lashings of gore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 180426)
I watched Midnight and Pieces today. Pieces is an absolute classic. Absurd dialogue and lashings of gore.

" Baaastaaard! BAAAASSSTTTAAAARDD!"

Oscar worthy stuff right there.

nekromantik 11th September 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 180425)
Meh - it was pretty good. Urban Explorer was better though. :laugh:

different types of flicks tho so kidnapped was awesome for what it was :)

Sam 11th September 2011 08:08 PM

Edge of Terror - very average and unremarkable thriller but watchable enough. The blurb on the back runs through the whole plot - beginning, middle, end, the lot :lol:. In fact, if you do come across this, save yourself a couple of quid and just read the back!

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:00 PM

Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 ad - a brilliant film Kyle.

Was the Kidnapped you watched the Bava affair or the Michael Caine Scottish movie?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 180447)
Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 ad - a brilliant film Kyle.

Was the Kidnapped you watched the Bava affair or the Michael Caine Scottish movie?

Daleks is hillariously bad. I think I need to see more Doctor Who films after watching that one!

Kidnapped was a new home invasion film, Demdike - it's pretty good as that genre is concerned. Kidnapped (2010) - IMDb

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 180450)
Daleks is hillariously bad. I think I need to see more Doctor Who films after watching that one!

Kidnapped was a new home invasion film, Demdike - it's pretty good as that genre is concerned. Kidnapped (2010) - IMDb

Kidnapped looks interesting, wonder if its as good as Them.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 180453)
Kidnapped looks interesting, wonder if its as good as Them.

You liked Them? Sorry Dem, but I wasn't keen on that film - just seemed so cliched, although the ending was pretty neat. I'd say Kidnapped was about as good as the Mother's Day remake (if slightly less) and just shy of the quality of Inside

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 180456)
You liked Them? Sorry Dem, but I wasn't keen on that film - just seemed so cliched, although the ending was pretty neat. I'd say Kidnapped was about as good as the Mother's Day remake (if slightly less) and just shy of the quality of Inside

Inside is the best horror of the 21st century in my opinion. That gives Kidnapped quite a lot to live up to.:lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 180456)

I really like Them and pretty much every home invasion film, so I'll definitely check out Kidnapped, so thanks for the recommendation.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 180457)
Inside is the best horror of the 21st century in my opinion. That gives Kidnapped quite a lot to live up to.:lol:

:laugh: Ok, maybe it's not THAT good - thought I'm sure Nek would disagree. Here's a scale :laugh:

-------Fight For Your Life-------------Kidnapped -------Mother's Day------------------Inside

Awesome-------------------------------------------------------- Super freakin' awesome

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 180458)
I really like Them and pretty much every home invasion film, so I'll definitely check out Kidnapped, so thanks for the recommendation.

I hated The Strangers - truly abysmal.

The victims had so many chances to escape and/or turn the tables on their assailants it was untrue.

nekromantik 11th September 2011 10:12 PM

Kyle I am disappoint!!

Mothers Day remake was good but not as good as Kidnapped. I not seen original though.
Them I loved as well as Strangers but Kidnapped is better then both.

I just seen Messiah of Evil :)
Now this is one odd movie but as it was unfinished it makes sense :lol:
The ending was made up by Technicolor as they ran out of money and could not shoot anymore, the ending they wanted to shoot explained everything about the story.
Thought it was pretty surreal but cool.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th September 2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 180461)
I hated The Strangers - truly abysmal.

The victims had so many chances to escape and/or turn the tables on their assailants it was untrue.

I wouldn't say The Strangers was abysmal, but it was a fairly mediocre film -I think I spent most of the movie being distracted by the size of Liv Tyler's lips!

Demoncrat 12th September 2011 11:29 AM

Watched The Troll Hunter....can honestly say i really liked this...was worth the wait....yes, its flawed but some great set pieces, great entertamiment if you just "go with it" :lol:

Hellraiser with comm, ok, informative enough etc (Barker and Laurence etc), will check out his solo one during week. been a while since ive watched Pinhead & co's first outing, sigh it seemed a bit more clunky than i remembered, still hae a soft spot despite all its compromises....

also been watching True Blood 3....michty me, the wee quine from The Piano has grown up all right....:laugh:

Pete 12th September 2011 01:14 PM

Not been online for a while due to computer problems (which was down to my own clumsiness) so I caught up with some of the stuff I haven't watched:

ATOR (DVD) - Joe D'amato does CONAN, not bad.
ATOR THE INVINCIBLE (VHS) - Great fun, better than the first
CRUISING (DVD) Excellent thriller, good performance by Pacino
DOUBLE TARGET (VHS) - Typically brilliant Mattei goodness
TENEMENT GAME OF SURVIVAL (DVD) - Nasty but fun, not surprised it was banned over here for a while
TOP LINE (VHS) - Decent sci-fi thriller with Franco Nero
DAYS OF HELL (DVD) - Forgettable italian action movie
FEAR CITY (DVD) - One of Ferrara's better films
THE ADDICTION (DVD) - Ok, but very pretentious
NEXT OF KIN (DVD) - Atmospheric Aussie horror
MANIAC COP 3 (DVD) - Better than I thought it would be
THE GATLING GUN (DVD) - Interesting spaghetti western with some nice gothic touches
DJANGO SHOOTS FIRST (DVD) - Didn't fancy it but turned out to be very enjoyable
THE INTRUDER (DVD) - Superb race relations drama from Roger Corman with a great performance by William Shatner
ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO (DVD) - Dull blaxploitation movie which wastes a good cast (Fred Williamson, Jim Brown, Richard Roundtree, Jim Kelly and Joe Spinell)
THE TOMB OF LIGEIA (DVD) - Decent if unremarkable Corman horror.
INTRUDER (DVD) - Great slasher
KILLER FISH (DVD) - Enjoyably silly horror from the always reliable Margheriti
LISA AND THE DEVIL (VHS) - Superb Bava horror
BARON BLOOD (VHS) - Some decent scenes but not Bava's best

pedromonkey 12th September 2011 01:22 PM

watched Slaughter High last night, wow this was a bad film, enjoyable but bad, even the writer and director said it was bad. Dialogue was awful, the lighting was wrong and it seemed like a Troma film. Worth a watch for Caroline Munro though...

napalm-in-the-morning 12th September 2011 01:49 PM

Cop with James woods on DVD. Really good and another film that's bound to get a pointless remake some time soon.

Slippery Jack 12th September 2011 04:42 PM

Strange Behavior
Wow, this is a weird one! A slasher/mad scientist hybrid, shot in Australia, set in Illinois, written by Bill ‘Gods & Monsters’ Condon, music by Tangerine Dream, and exec produced by David Hemmings! A very odd mix of stuff here, where standard horror tropes take on a dreamlike, Lynchian vibe – a scene where the partying teens suddenly break into a semi-choreographed dance to ‘Lightnin Strikes’ by Lou Christie was straight out of Inland Empire! The first half is mostly slasher, with one scene in particular delivering the goods in terms of nastiness. I’m not sure the surge into mad scientist territory in the second half totally worked, and a Scooby Doo style villain reveal fell completely flat. But more than enough good stuff here to heartily recommend, especially if you like your slashers with a heavy dose of weird.

nekromantik 12th September 2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 180595)
Strange Behavior
Wow, this is a weird one! A slasher/mad scientist hybrid, shot in Australia, set in Illinois, written by Bill ‘Gods & Monsters’ Condon, music by Tangerine Dream, and exec produced by David Hemmings! A very odd mix of stuff here, where standard horror tropes take on a dreamlike, Lynchian vibe – a scene where the partying teens suddenly break into a semi-choreographed dance to ‘Lightnin Strikes’ by Lou Christie was straight out of Inland Empire! The first half is mostly slasher, with one scene in particular delivering the goods in terms of nastiness. I’m not sure the surge into mad scientist territory in the second half totally worked, and a Scooby Doo style villain reveal fell completely flat. But more than enough good stuff here to heartily recommend, especially if you like your slashers with a heavy dose of weird.

I thought it was a good flick
:rockon:

platostotal 13th September 2011 01:33 AM

Saw DRIVE ANGRY and loved it, has a GRINDHOUSE feel to it, very good all round, gory, funny and sexy(Amber Heard is a force of nature) great villians too, even Cage is fun, a double bill with PLANET TERROR will do me fine.

James Morton 13th September 2011 12:37 PM

What films have you seen recently?

THE KILLER INSIDE ME - garbage
THE CRIMSON RIVERS - very good French thriller with Jean Reno and Vincent Cassell

platostotal 13th September 2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 180784)
THE KILLER INSIDE ME - garbage
THE CRIMSON RIVERS - very good French thriller with Jean Reno and Vincent Cassell

CRIMSON RIVERS is great, it has a sequel but haven't seen it, it would make a good match with LEON or the like, maybe even RONIN for a Reno double. A Blu of CRIMSON RIVERS should be eyewateringly good, goes from dingy urban to snowy mountain top scenery. Top film indeed.

mercury 13th September 2011 04:01 PM

Recently watched:

The Thing
Slaughter High
Grindhouse trailer classics
Stigmata
Vampire's Suck....Just like the film:lol: I usually like spoof movies, because the make fun of lots of movies while sometimes focusing the main plot on one. This film doesn't do this and as so is crap and....why am I still talking about it:censored:

enterthehero 13th September 2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 180717)
Saw DRIVE ANGRY and loved it, has a GRINDHOUSE feel to it, very good all round, gory, funny and sexy(Amber Heard is a force of nature) great villians too, even Cage is fun, a double bill with PLANET TERROR will do me fine.

I thought this film was ****ing awesome, i agree that it would be good viewing followed with planet terror,deathproof,machete or hobo with a shotgun.

Rik 13th September 2011 08:44 PM

I watched Parasomnia on the Horror Channel last night, I really enjoyed it, very creepy and made me jump at least once, which is rare for me! I'd recommend it seeing as it can be picked up for a couple of quid online

Violence is Italian Art

Make Them Die Slowly 13th September 2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning (Post 180538)
Cop with James woods on DVD. Really good and another film that's bound to get a pointless remake some time soon.

Excellent film based on a James Ellroy novel, shame the other two books in the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy weren't made into films with Woods in them.

Pete 13th September 2011 09:07 PM

I hear Woods is now in the care of 'Top men' ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 13th September 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 180925)
I hear Woods is now in the care of 'Top men' ;)

I have no idea as to what that means.:o

Pete 13th September 2011 09:16 PM

I guess you don't watch Family Guy?

Make Them Die Slowly 13th September 2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 180928)
I guess you don't watch Family Guy?

Now and again but not enough it seems. Is this a good place to say that your avatar is disturbingly sexy.

nekromantik 14th September 2011 12:14 AM

Just seen Stand by me.

Very well made flick and the acting by the kids, esp River was awesome.
So sad that he aint no longer with us :( he had so much potential.
First time I saw this and it is indeed a great flick.

pedromonkey 14th September 2011 12:25 AM

watched Never Back Down 2: The Beat Down tonight, was pretty good MMA flick directed by Black Dynamite himself. Some good fight scenes too.

when that was finished i was flicking through the channels and ITV1 hard Land Of The Dead on and BBC2 had Tootsie on, Having seen LOTD countless times i decided on Tootsie, Dustin Hoffman was absolutely brilliant in it and i can't believe he never won the oscar. Great Sidney Pollack film.

gag 14th September 2011 04:12 AM

At the moment watching lock stock the tv series and
Death note the manga series
The films are exactly like the manga series which i found a tadge pointless you had thought they been slightly different..

gag 14th September 2011 04:54 AM

Also watched the night warning
I heard so much about this etc that i was half expecting to much from it ..Not film wise more of gore etc and be honest it was very slim on that department...Quite enjoyed the film otherwise even tho its a bit on the slow and not realy much happening side..

I even remember i had this on video ppre cert as well under title butcher baker nightmare maker what happend to it i havent a clue lost it years ago long before dvd comes out..prob some one lent it and forfot all about it...Bit of a bummer realy cos it meant to be worth a few a quid.

Phurious 14th September 2011 11:12 AM

Watching Whoops Apocalypse at the moment. It's kind of funny, but terribly dated with some of the jokes going over my (reasonably young) head.

Watched Phase IV last night. A really unique and odd film that wasn't quite dystopian, but fits well into that whole bleak feel of 70s sci-fi.
Great use of macro photography instead of Them!-like special effects for the ants.
Brilliant sound design and music elevated the whole expereince too, which was necessary as the performances were somewhat akin to the androids in Westworld.
It's a real shame Bass didn't hit the directors chair again as this seemed to be the beginning of what could have been a very interesting career as a director. Saying that though, it's not too bad being remembered as the designer of some of cinema's most iconic imagery.

Slippery Jack 14th September 2011 11:54 AM

Put in For a Few Dollars More, just to find a clip for a quiz I'm working on, but ended up watching the whole bloody thing (again). Still my favourite Leone Western, the economy of the storytelling is just thrilling. It's just classic scene after classic scene - can't beat Van Cleef lighting his match on Klaus Kinski's hunchback :cool: . . .

James Morton 14th September 2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 180971)
Also watched the night warning
I heard so much about this etc that i was half expecting to much from it ..Not film wise more of gore etc and be honest it was very slim on that department...Quite enjoyed the film otherwise even tho its a bit on the slow and not realy much happening side..

I even remember i had this on video ppre cert as well under title butcher baker nightmare maker what happend to it i havent a clue lost it years ago long before dvd comes out..prob some one lent it and forfot all about it...Bit of a bummer realy cos it meant to be worth a few a quid.

i've got the dvd-r of NIGHTMARE MAKER and have to say I was disappointed with it
why it was banned is beyond me

pedromonkey 14th September 2011 12:12 PM

Watched Ironclad last night, didn't really expect much from it to behonest then all of a sudden it becomes 12th century english Magnificent seven and really brutally violent version. Very fast paced medieval action film, with a lot of blood and carnage that had some pretty good performances. Well impressed by it.