All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2013, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Anyone who goes into this film hoping for great art is going to be severely disappointed, but those wanting Die Hard at the White House, well that is just what you get.

North Korean terrorists attack then take over the White House in a breathtakingly spectacular opening third, it really is fantastically fun carnage and truth be told the film never actually betters it for the remaining two thirds. Thats when the Die Hard parts kick in as Gerrard Butler playing a secret service agent finds himself alone in the White House with only terrorists to slaughter.

The bad guys being North Koreans may seem like the stereotype of the month but i really don't care, if someone's going to try and kidnap the President it may as well be them.

Sure it ticks all the boxes and has cliche's to die for but there's a dearth of this type of movie at the moment and for those reasons Olympus has Fallen gets my vote every time.

Can't wait to see White House Down as well after SShaw's review above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olympus_Has_Fallen_poster.jpg (79.1 KB, 2 views)
Rik, Invid Ninja, troggi and 1 others like this.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict

JEKYLL AND HYDE.

Watched the entertaining but unremarkable Michael Caine version of JEKYLL AND HYDE. Not on parr with the excellent JACK THE RIPPER but worth a look still....

jekyll and hyde 01.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-09-07-23h00m36s84.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-09-07-23h01m02s92.jpg
Rik and troggi like this.
Old 8th September 2013, 05:55 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Anyone who goes into this film hoping for great art is going to be severely disappointed
I hope that wasn't a dig at me!
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 8th September 2013, 06:12 AM
Cult Rookie

Old 8th September 2013, 06:55 AM
Cult Addict

pain And Gain (2013)- I've said a lot of bad things about Michael Bay on these here pages. And for my money, I still don't like his guts, targeting children with mysogynistic, boring, overly long and nationalistic dog shite (Transformers and Pearl Harbor et al). But THIS is the Bay I can stomach. When he's making a hard R action film with all of the above factors ramped up to 11 in such a way it can only be a laugh. And that's where P&G succeeds. It's a violent and sleezy little film that knows exactly what it is and doesn't apologies. Probably one of the better movies I've seen at the cinema this year. 8/10 for The Rock who is hilarious in this?
Invid Ninja and troggi like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 8th September 2013, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Rolling Thunder' - one of my favourites from the early VHS days, and it didn't disappoint. The transfer was pretty ordinary though. (Shout Factory BD).

'Battle Royale' - first viewing, and what a film! Was on our World Movies channel, so pq was ok, but I'm certainly going to pick up the Arrow set and watch again. Not sure why it took me so long to get around to watching it - loved it!
keirarts, troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th September 2013, 10:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Omen remake-really enjoyed this I have to say. Good performances and a really great Marco Beltrami score. Non reliance on too much gore was a nice touch. Nice to see Giovanni
Lombardo Radice also. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Really good 8/10
troggi likes this.
Old 8th September 2013, 01:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) At least they've cut down on the excessive lens flare effect! I enjoyed it, though but I don't agree that its the worst Trek ever! That particular honour goes to 'Star Trek V' quickly followed by the first one! (Did I just have a Sheldon Cooper moment?)

Spider-man (2002) too much CGI but it didn't really need a reboot...Did it?

from 1942:
The Ghost of Frankenstein Although the previous entry 'Son Of Frankenstein' is probably technically better I enjoyed this one more!
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror "Now Holmes...You promised!"
Sherlock Homes and the Secret Weapon More dastardly Nazis and with Moriarty too!
The Battle of Midway Patriotic music! Death to the Japs! V for victory....Guess the genre!

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post364360
Old 8th September 2013, 01:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) At least they've cut down on the excessive lens flare effect! I enjoyed it, though but I don't agree that its the worst Trek ever! That particular honour goes to 'Star Trek V' quickly followed by the first one! (Did I just have a Sheldon Cooper moment?)

[/url]

There was little wrong with JJ abrahams Star Trek films. They injected some much needed mainstream credibility into the franchise without trashing the established continuity. Unfortunately for some people Star Trek should always be the Next gen take on the setting and anything that deviates from that is unacceptable. They don't seem to realize that until these films came along the franchise was dead in the water (barring some kickstarter funded dvd project) the continuity was bogging everything down and scaring off new fans and frankly Trek had long since become stale. The rot for me set in with the god awful deep space 9, I remember switching over to Babylon five and getting depressed at how much better the young upstart show was.
Old 8th September 2013, 01:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The vampyr
One word amazing 9.5/10

Vault of horror

Not as good as tales from the crypt. My favourite stories have to be the first and the last one 7.5/10

Evil dead two

My favourite of the movies. Equal parts horror and slapstick comedy 9/10

Now watching one of my blind buys Chinese ghost story.

Agree with what was said about new Star Trek as a life long Trekkie the franchise need this but sadly their are those fans who are stuck in 1966 and no matter how good something is they will still hate it. Mind I disagree on deep space nine it is my favourite out all the shows, granted it started poor but once Worf appeared and the dominion war started it just got better and better.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!