Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2013, 06:59 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Dude, at this point, I must ask (and this I would ask of Mr. Teardrop as well), but all this obscura found at the cinematic junkyard, are they charity store pick ups, random rentals or downloaded contraband ? I'm just asking cos funds are tight enough at this end to make each purchase count - meaning, I'd never take a chance on something risky like Hostel III, I'd only see it if it turned up on TV...
Netflix though I was buying this type of stuff cheap in supermarkets as a semi-project of looking at the mainstream dvd market for my own amusement.

I also stand by my post the other day that these film and viewing them at home makes me and others like me the true heirs of the grindhouse/exploitation cinema of old. Any f*cker can watch a good film but it's a test of character and your mettle to sit through the cinematic bottomfeeders of the dvd world looking to find a pearl.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I also stand by my post the other day that these film and viewing them at home makes me and others like me the true heirs of the grindhouse/exploitation cinema of old. Any f*cker can watch a good film but it's a test of character and your mettle to sit through the cinematic bottomfeeders of the dvd world looking to find a pearl.
Yep, absolutely, and I tip my hat to you and your fellow sewage workers. Me, I bail out after 10-20mins of something not cooking...
troggi likes this.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Yep, absolutely, and I tip my hat to you and your fellow sewage workers. Me, I bail out after 10-20mins of something not cooking...
But what if the most amazing thing happened at the 21 minute mark?
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
But what if the most amazing thing happened at the 21 minute mark?
I'd find out about here I guess...I hope...
Old 15th September 2013, 07:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So as mentioned earlier I saw:

The Dirties an interesting if flawed take on the high-school massacre genre this time set up as a found footage mockumentary (or at least thats how the makers are selling it). I have some problems with thus and prefer my own reading which I will elaborate over on my diary thread in due course.

World's Greatest Dad I really thought 20minutes in that I wasn't going to like this. But I should have had more faith as the film completely changes in tone becoming even darker. It was really interesting to see so many of Goldthwaits films in a single weekend. With the exception perhaps of Willow Creek there is a strong theme being developed in his work - again something I will return to on my diary thread. For those who are interested the film is available on Blu and it gets a firm recommendation from me.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:47 PM
Cult Addict

The Howling: Reborn- Not sure what to make of it. Honestly, it's the next genuinly "good" movie after the original (still one of the best Werewolf movies of all time IMHO). But it lack's the star power of the second (Reb Brown, Christopher Lee et al) or the bat shit insanity on par with Troll 2 Howling 3: The Marsupials. It's also not as forgetable as all the other instalments. It is quite bland however, and stincks of post Twilight "Oh look! Werewolfs can still be taken seriously" syndrome. I'll probably give it another spin in the company of any of the afformentioned some other time, but it's not high on my reccomendation or revisit list. Prop's to the effects department and director for using MEN IN SUIT'S or CGI! So it get's my respect for that at least.
PaulD and troggi like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 15th September 2013, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Freezing: Season 1 (2011)

"Earth in the near future has become threatened by other dimensional beings called the NOVA. The only way to defeat these creatures has turned out to be by using genetically altered girls (Pandora's). They are paired up with boys (Limiters) who are granted the ability to undo the freezing effect cast by the NOVA, hence allowing the Pandora's to fight freely against them. Bridget is one such Pandora and is the best in her class, however due to her aphephobia does not have a limiter. Despite all the warnings, Kazuya Aoi decides to be her Limiter and friend." (Imdb)

A naughty scifi action anime series that seems more concerned with the rivalry between female students and the trauma of it's lead character than with alien invaders.

To be honest I had no idea what to expect from this one...I read many people liked it but the short amv's I watched certainly didn't prepare me for this one.

This is unashamedly naughty and gory but also seems written for girls,as most of the episodes deal mostly with typical female feelings and problems?

Strange but I really liked this one.

I've read there's a second season coming,bring it on!

Last edited by bdc; 15th September 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 15th September 2013, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Dude, at this point, I must ask (and this I would ask of Mr. Teardrop as well), but all this obscura found at the cinematic junkyard, are they charity store pick ups, random rentals or downloaded contraband ? I'm just asking cos funds are tight enough at this end to make each purchase count - meaning, I'd never take a chance on something risky like Hostel III, I'd only see it if it turned up on TV...
It's a good point, and it's always interesting to see the lowest of the low sluice out on Amazon at twenty quid or something ridiculous like that. Take the last lot I reviewed - this isn't a plug, but everything barring 'The Jar' was from Lovefilm. I'd dearly love a copy of "Curse of Pirate Death", but these days I'd spit on the hand that tapped the fifteen sovs it'd take to lay that one on me. But, being a bit of a knob, I remember spending almost £30 five years ago on 'Invitation to Hell' (a truly renegade spatter-mark of cinematic residue) back when I didn't give a **** about booze or money. These days, whilst I still occasionally buy new releases and stuff I'm pretty sure I won't have a shot at in a while, I tend to limit myself to said streaming subscription, cheapo seconds on Amazon and E-bay, and whatever I can scavenge from local charity shops, which isn't much.
Old 15th September 2013, 09:20 PM
Cult Addict

CROWSNEST. More found footage nonsense that like the characters' car is going nowhere. On the plus side it has some really noisey music on the car stereo at the start of the film and excessive shots of ferns as characters run around with cameras pointed at the ground. I like ferns.
PaulD and troggi like this.
Old 15th September 2013, 09:44 PM
Cult Addict

TOWER BLOCK.

Mainly something of a letdown as the revelation of the killer was no great surprise. The films about a sniper terrorizing a tower block and I suspect the director was going for something 'Carpenter-esque' but end up with 'Carpenter-light' That said at the right price its still worth a watch. The director is ruthless enough to not give a f*** which character he kills and that gives it a certain charm that made me not turn it off.

DEMONIACS.

A Tale of Wreckers who cause shipwrecks for the loot. Two young girls survive and are raped and tormented by the villains. They manage to survive and come back for a supernatural revenge against the villains. Somewhat different than a lot of Rollin fare this is still one of those love them or hate them kind of deals. It has a lot of his trademark symbolism and occultism running through it. Certainly worth a try for the curious.

Like this? Share it using the links below!