Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched the special features on 'Mulholland Drive', which were excellent.
Then, this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Anyone seen the Jackie Chan film 1911?
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Anyone seen the Jackie Chan film 1911?
Not yet, had the Blu in my collection since day of release but just not got round to it. Must correct that asap
troggi likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:38 PM
Cult Addict

Black magic rites

Absolutely demented euro horror that plays like a fevered sexual nightmare. Set in a gothic castle somewhere in the Italian alps, plot and character development take second place to surreal imagery, satanic rites, Vampirism and lots of grubby sex euro-horror style. The soundtrack is excellent, the opening sets the pace....

I can't help imagine this is something like EQUESTRIAN VORTEX from the Berberian sound studio would have been like. Amazing use of color and rapid editing make it a difficult film to get into but an ultimately rewarding one imo.

(it looks the dogs b******s on Blu-ray btw!)

The Living dead girl

As you can tell i'm still going through those redemption blus one by one. Not seen this one before but glad I watched it. A bunch of fly tippers decide to stick some cans of toxic ooze in a crypt, while their at it they decide to do a bit of grave robbery, as Barry Norman would say 'and why not'.

An earthquake tips over some of the waste and reanimates a young girl who swiftly dispatches the grave robbers in a bloody and brutal fashion that would not seem out of place in an Italian splatter flick. She gets ups and begins to wander through the countryside then through her ancestral home.

Her old love turns up on the doorstep and quickly tries to clean things up. She's hoping the whole being dead thing is an inconvenience and that the blood and flesh of the living might bring her back to normal.

Despite the gore on display, Living dead girl is a very lyrical and beautiful piece of cinema. Perhaps not as surreal as some of his films the tragic obsession of the woman for her dead love is well played and the ending is genuinely haunting and very well executed. Like all the Redemption Blus it looks great.
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:49 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Last American Virgin for the first time. Loved it.. but that ending, I almost want to say I don't understand it.
It's the same ending as Lemon Popsicle, of which The Last American Virgin is a remake, and is based on writer/director Boaz Davidson's teenage years. The Gary/Benz character is based on him and that's what really happened to Davidson.
troggi likes this.
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Giant insect monster movie. Highly enjoyable. The giants this time around are locust. No stop motion here, these are real locust, super imposed onto the landscape as the army tries to take them out. Classic. (1957)
Demoncrat, keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 23rd September 2013, 02:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crash (1996, David Cronenberg) It having been years since I watched this....guess what? It's still a disappointingly flat adaptation IMO.

Stayed up to watch Quatermass II. A paranoid masterpiece.

Will watch something for the NY month TONIGHT!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Giant insect monster movie. Highly enjoyable. The giants this time around are locust. No stop motion here, these are real locust, super imposed onto the landscape as the army tries to take them out. Classic. (1957)
I haven't seen that for years. Cool cover art!
Dave Boy likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

BYZANTIUM. Purchased purely on the picture of Gemma Arterton on the back cover of the dvd, this is actually a rather good film that deals with loss, belonging, mother daughter relationships and vampires. Set in a bleak and dated looking Hastings, there are echoes of Rollin, with strange images on beaches and fairground action scenes. Arterton is excellent as a brassy whore willing to sacrifice everything for her child whilst Saoirse Ronon is fantastic as the blank faced daughter. There are some great images in the film and a good use of architecture, especially in decay. Recommended.
Old 24th September 2013, 07:25 AM
Cult Addict

Red Room.

Four people enter a competition where they play a 'king' game in a red room, the winner gets 10 million yen. The person who draws the king gets to order two of the other contestants (by number so they don't know who it is) to do whatever they want. What starts with mild and silly torment gets progressively nastier as the film goes on and is really nasty viewing. Its not overly gory just really f*****g twisted with a nasty streak a mile wide. That said, those with a taste for edgier, more transgressive material might want to seek this out.

Like this? Share it using the links below!