Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

the blob 28th September 2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 185549)
I haven't read the comics either, I'm afraid. It would be pretty good if Del Toro was a closet Fulci fan, though. :D

I don't think there's anything closet about it. He's been interviewed for the new BU Zombie release. :)

Baseball Fury 28th September 2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 185545)
Was the sand nazi in Mignola's comics? I haven't read them. If not then I wouldn't be surprised if Del Toro had Freudstein in the back of his mind... this would please me immensely if it was true :nod:

Kroenen is in the comics, yeah. He's not full of dust though, he was just a Nazi scientist who got all kinds of messed up, hence the get up, as far as I can remember!

DryJack 28th September 2011 11:41 PM

Talking of Nazis, I just watched "The Devil's rock". Thought it was pretty good. In the vein of "The outpost" and "The bunker". The Demon was pretty cool and there was enough gore to keep me happy.

nekromantik 29th September 2011 01:53 AM

Just seen Chromeskull: Laid To Rest 2

Was a pretty good sequel to the very good Laid to rest.
Its not as good as the first but still entertaining and had some really kool kills and gore.
It had some trouble with the MPAA and I can tell from one or two scenes why :lol:
I remember the first movie getting a NC17!

mercury 29th September 2011 10:41 AM

Watched Heat last night. Great film, which I like alot....that is until the ending which isn't how I would've ended the film:tsk:

Baseball Fury 29th September 2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 185654)
Watched Heat last night. Great film, which I like alot....that is until the ending which isn't how I would've ended the film:tsk:

What was wrong with the ending?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th September 2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 185558)
Charlton Heston was so wooden in The Big Country he had splinters. All he seemed to do was lean on fences, until his big fight with Peck of course.

I don't think he was overly wooden, it's just that his character was pretty two-dimensional when compared to those played by Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons and Burt Ives.

Shaw13 29th September 2011 12:28 PM

Just seen Erasherhead: Wacky, weird wonderful with some of the most disturbing imagery I've ever seen. It's probably my favorite Lynch film now, Blue Velvet as a not too distant second.

Rik 29th September 2011 03:46 PM

Watched the Shameless BD of Cannibal Holocaust today, looked absolutely stunning and as I posted elsewhere earlier, the muskrat edit is hardly noticeable. Followed it with Shamelesses DVD of Phantom of Death, bit slow at the start but I thoroughly enjoyed it, a fairly decent thriller with good performances and some really well shot set pieces.
The postman brought me the BD of the Friday the 13th remake from Lovefilm today so I think I'll give that a watch tomorrow, not expecting much from it but I still want to watch it to make my own opinions on what I'm told is a load of crap.

Violence is Italian Art

James Morton 29th September 2011 03:51 PM

What films have you seen recently?

my French dvd of PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE
De Palma's Faust inspired comedy horror

Phurious 29th September 2011 04:05 PM

Quickly watched The Other Side Of The Wall documentary which is an extra on the Possession disc I picked up today.

An insightful look at a truly unique film, although Daniel Bird's monotonous narration was a bit myeh at first, but it grew on me, particularly when he swears - I never fail to smirk when academics have to quote their subjects :lol:
I particularly enjoyed the bit when Zulawski 'claims' to forget the name of Wajda's Palme D'Or winning Man Of Iron (which beat Possession in 1981 - although Adjani won best actress):
"Man of... er.... (to the interviewer) what was it? Iron?" - Priceless :nod:

Nemesis 29th September 2011 08:24 PM

Saw Watch me when I kill (aka The cat's victims) - I really, really liked this one - it had a strong lead, terrific soundtrack and some great kills. An underrated giallo.

PaulD 29th September 2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 185860)
Saw Watch me when I kill (aka The cat's victims) - I really, really liked this one - it had a strong lead, terrific soundtrack and some great kills. An underrated giallo.

I watched this yesterday too, after having bought the dvd months ago. I second everything you say, especially the soundtrack - very Goblin-lite but in a good way!

Nemesis 30th September 2011 09:08 AM

I had it lying around for a few months too :lol:

I don't know why but somehow I had to immediately re-watch it after the first viewing - I don't do that very often (occasionally I may re-watch within a few days or weeks), but it really made an impact on me.

I remember when I first saw the Shameless trailer for it - it looked quite terrifying with the kills featuring prominently. It actually made me want to wait a bit before getting it. With hindsight, even though it was a brilliantly made trailer, I think Shameless should have gone with the International trailer to promote it - it gives away a lot less.

Loved the Bido interview - really informative and you could tell that he was passionate about his work. Will watch the Wilson Bros fact track in a few days.

Otherwise, a magnificent job from Shameless :clap:

Will get the Bloodstained shadow at some point in the future.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2011 09:13 AM

It's been ages since I saw Watch Me When I Kill and his thread makes me want to watch it again, and soon!

Phurious 30th September 2011 09:25 AM

Watched/listened to the commentary of The Hidden last night.

Inexplicably Jack Sholder is accompanied by a not very talkative Tim River's Edge Hunter.
Sholder isn't exactly a raconteur and he sometimes sounds a little condescending towards the audience, but there were some pretty interesting anecdotes and he didn't pull any punches when discussing the less talented actors who were involved.
It was pretty cool watching the film after so many years and I think it holds up really well, particularly the first alien transfer effect.
So with Tim Hunter on the commentary, Kyle Maclachlan in a key role and Chris Mulkey as one of the early antagonists it was somewhat of a Twin Peaks who's who, before that show even existed!

Prince_Vajda 30th September 2011 09:26 AM

Watch Me When I Kill is one of the best flicks ever released by Shameless. A classic giallo! :nod:

Greetings!

platostotal 30th September 2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 185946)
Watch Me When I Kill is one of the best flicks ever released by Shameless. A classic giallo! :nod:

Greetings!

Agreed, I have it as THE CAT'S VICTIMS, will upgrade to Shameless soon, when there's a break in their releases, too much good stuff keeps coming out, damn their good taste.

Demoncrat 30th September 2011 11:40 AM

Red State. saw this under the impression that it was Smith's take on horror, ahem, never believe what you read it seems, nevertheless it was certainly something different from silent bob, mates loathed it for unknown reasons, ie 3 minutes into it he was moaning (hmm). i can see why its been slated in US though.....surprise of the week!!

Horrible Bosses....hahahaha i liked it, bit formulaic, and Spacey on "loathsome" autopilot but despite that, laughed a lot and thats what you want from a comedy surely.

also watched Charlie Sheen's "roast", really to see if any of them had the gumption to take this piss out of the Guinea Pig debacle, but sadly not, best one ive seen yet though....

Cannibal Ferox..what can i say about this that hasnt already been said? thought i had let it slip pass me at the time, but the iguana incident gave me deja vu so hmmm, brutal brutal film, the ultimate "they deserve what they get " scenario IMO.

Norwegian Ninja tonight wheee!

Mojo 30th September 2011 06:52 PM

Cat O' Nine Tails
No doubt this will get mixed reviews but I thought it looked great. Not my favourite Argento, but a nice addition to the Arrow collection.

More
Late 60s hippy / druggie flick from BFI starring Mimsy Farmer. Good film and a great ( if underused ) soundtrack from the Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. Excellent pq.

:)

Baseball Fury 30th September 2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 185945)
It was pretty cool watching the film after so many years and I think it holds up really well, particularly the first alien transfer effect.
So with Tim Hunter on the commentary, Kyle Maclachlan in a key role and Chris Mulkey as one of the early antagonists it was somewhat of a Twin Peaks who's who, before that show even existed!

I watched it quite recently, and I thought exactly the same thing!

gag 30th September 2011 07:06 PM

Not film wise but has any 1 seen oddities on disc real time ? i think a few people on here would enjoy it... its about a shop that sell only wierd and strange things ...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th September 2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 186148)

More
Late 60s hippy / druggie flick from BFI starring Mimsy Farmer. Good film and a great ( if underused ) soundtrack from the Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. Excellent pq.

:)

Completely agree, Mojo. :nod:

I received the BFI BD the other day. Haven't watched it yet, though.

bdc 30th September 2011 07:26 PM

Still need to pick this up...

Mojo 30th September 2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 186159)
Completely agree, Mojo. :nod:

I received the BFI BD the other day. Haven't watched it yet, though.

BFI are continuing to release some great stuff. Have you ever seen Private Road?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th September 2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 186170)
BFI are continuing to release some great stuff. Have you ever seen Private Road?

No I haven't - is it any good?

I want to pick up Schroeder's The Valley (Obscured by Clouds) at some point.

Plus: Deep End, Institute Benjamenta, and Requiem for a Village are all on my radar.

Mojo 30th September 2011 07:50 PM

Private Road is excellent, BE ( imo! ) I originally saw it on Channel 4 donkeys years ago and loved it from the off. It's also got a great soundtrack - and the pq on the BFI release is stunning. One of my favourite non horror films of all time.

Deep End is terrific, too.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th September 2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 186180)
Private Road is excellent, BE ( imo! ) I originally saw it on Channel 4 donkeys years ago and loved it from the off. It's also got a great soundtrack - and the pq on the BFI release is stunning. One of my favourite non horror films of all time.

Deep End is terrific, too.

Thanks Mojo - I'll add it to the ever-growing wish list! ;)

re.form 30th September 2011 10:28 PM

Been awhile since I posted.

All 5 original Planet of the Apes. All good, except the second one, which hasnt aged well and seemed a bit naff.

Shock Labyrinth. A bit cack, to be honest.

Texas Gladiators 2020. Glorious rubbish.

Exterminators of the year 3000. As above. Glorious.

Cabin Fever 2. Hated the first one. Strangely, I enjoyed this one more. The director wanted his name of this but wanted it on the borefest that was House of the Devil? A very strange form of snobbery in my book.

Shaw13 1st October 2011 12:10 AM

Watched Heathers tonight. Hilarious, immensely quotable script and Christian Slater (and eyebrows) in full force. Perhaps the ultimate cult film of the 80's.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st October 2011 08:16 AM

Dementia 13 - A decent thriller from a pre-Godfather Coppola. The film has received many releases over the years, most of them shoddy. I picked up The US BD recently (despite some poor reviews). Even though the quality isn't great, I fear that this is the best the film will ever look due to the nature of the materials and its public domain status. Certainly an improvement over my old Elstree Hill DVD anyway.

The Reptile - Top tier Hammer from John 'Plague of Zombies' Gilling, with a decent story from Hammer regular Anthony Hinds. The Optimum DVD is decent, but I'd love to see them remaster this one in HD.

Phurious 1st October 2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 186221)
Been awhile since I posted.

All 5 original Planet of the Apes. All good, except the second one, which hasnt aged well and seemed a bit naff.

OH no! Beneath The Planet Of The Apes is my favourite. It's so daft that I can't help but love it. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st October 2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 186221)
Exterminators of the year 3000. As above. Glorious.

Liked this one a lot. A complete rip-off of the Mad Max films (just replace gasoline with water), but lots of fun.

Gojirosan 1st October 2011 09:38 AM

Attack The Block.

Best action film I have seen in years. Hollywood should hang their heads in shame that they cannot make action SF a fraction as well with all their resources.

Very, very, very highly recommended.

antmumford 1st October 2011 10:02 AM

Went and saw The Dead last night at the Duke of Yorks Cinema in Brighton. The Director Howard J. Ford was there to introduce the film along with the lead actor Rob Freeman, which was amusing (they were almost killed on several occasions filming this, held at gun point, mugged, held for ransom etc. etc.)
Some other crew members and the directors family and friends were all there too which was nice.
Was a fantastic zombie film though, soooo good. One of my all time favourites and definitely the best and most original zombie film of the last 10-20 years. The cinematography was gorgeous where it was all shot on completely unfilmed terrain in Africa. Nice and gorey too and had a surprising amount of jumpy scare moments which made Kelly fly out of her seat on a few occasions (to the sniggers of the people behind).
It comes out soon on BD so without a doubt I'll picking this one up. :popcorn:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st October 2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 186245)
OH no! Beneath The Planet Of The Apes is my favourite. It's so daft that I can't help but love it. :)

Beneath the Planet of the Apes is my favourite of the series and, though this may sound like blasphemy, is better than the first.

mercury 1st October 2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 185676)
What was wrong with the ending?

I'm a De Niro fan. And I felt his character was unbeatable in this film. But that's just me:)

Shaw13 1st October 2011 03:34 PM

Black Christmas today, it IS the formula for all slashers to come and yet even now is stupidl entertaining and still capable of a good scare.

mercury 1st October 2011 06:28 PM

Watched Cyrus last night. Was ok and did have a few laughs. Sadly though it was nowhere near as funny as it should've been considering John C Reilly and Jonah Hill star. On the plus side Marisa Tomei is still looking good at 46:nod:

Prince_Vajda 1st October 2011 09:48 PM

- High Plains Drifter: one of Clint's best films. Atypical, but an extremely compelling and entertaining Western. Film stills will follow tomorrow in the respective thread!

- Vampyr: a fantastic experience! A very early Horror movie, beautifully shot - see the "Post Your Favourite Film Stills" thread for some stills - a review of this will follow tomorrow!

Greetings!