Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2013, 08:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Rare evening off #3

Texas Chainsaw (2013)

Blimey! I know I'd been led to believe that this was bad, but...

Makes me want to go and re-watch the Michael Bay produced version!!!!

Leatherface as a victim, and then a hero!!!

NO!!!!

And no - this isn't alcohol talking
I've not seen it yet.
Old 4th November 2013, 09:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I've not seen it yet.
Hope you enjoy it more than I did

Rare night off #4
Bikini Girls On Ice (2010)

Am about 45 minutes into it, and I am wondering if I'll make it to the end

Shoud have gone for a better last title, like '2-headed Shark Attack'!

Strangely enough, the alcohol is not making bad films any better, like it used to do

Maybe I need to drink more to get back into the habit!!!!!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th November 2013, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Hope you enjoy it more than I did

Rare night off #4
Bikini Girls On Ice (2010)

Am about 45 minutes into it, and I am wondering if I'll make it to the end

Shoud have gone for a better last title, like '2-headed Shark Attack'!

Strangely enough, the alcohol is not making bad films any better, like it used to do

Maybe I need to drink more to get back into the habit!!!!!!
You've no chance Suzi.

Despite its potentially great title it really is a shite film.A real struggle to get through.

By the way i loved Two Headed Shark Attack.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"A Moose once bit my sister, you know"
Now if you think that I've been to the zoo you're in the wrong forum! I had to watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" since finding it the other week. As I said in the "First date Movies" thread some time ago I saw this the first time it came out, umpteen times since and, more recently (durr), a couple of nights ago. This film does not grow old because there are no references in it to make it age! A sublime comedy which, when analysed, is actually a series of short sketches stitched together around a common theme, just what Python did best!

As my scoring system is a little "Pythonic" I'll give it 23 fish out of 10 comfy chairs!

Last night, with some trepidation, I decided to watch "The Final Programme" (1973). Last viewed when I was 14 years old with a gang of like-minded individuals who were all heavily into the writings of Michael Moorcock! Would it stand the test of time? Would it, like some other old favourites, not live up to my memories of it? Would I still like it?

My fears have been proven to be just fears! I loved it! The film looks great after all these years and, in my opinion, is just as watchable. Based on the book, "The Final Programme", by Michael Moorcock it takes the hero, Jerry Cornelius, on a journey from his father's funeral to the end of the "long age of darkness!" Set in a post apocalyptic world, that looks incredibly seventies,"The Final Programme" is a colourful sci-fi jaunt set to crappy comedy music that gets quite irritating. The needle gun battles between Jerry Cornelius and his brother, Frank, are pretty hectic but the final fight between Jerry and Miss Brunner's "lover", Dimitri, is so camp and lame you'll just have to laugh out loud.

"The Final Programme" bears a strong resemblance to the Moorcock penned novel but misses a lot of the humour, sleaze and violence of the book. I suppose that it is difficult to capture the essence of such an iconic writer as Moorcock in 86 minutes of celluloid! Jon Finch plays the role of the wise-cracking "English Assassin" very well and Jenny Runacre's "Miss Brunner" is funny, strangely alluring and dangerous. Look out for a small crowd of well-known supporting actors including; Geoge Coulouris, Julie Ege, Sterling Hayden and Patrick Magee, amongst others,

"The Final Programme" has it's faults and is DEFINITELY "of it's time" but it is a cracking film which does not tax the viewer for too long. Anyone interested in Moorcock, aspects of the 1970s, psychedelia, ambiguous sexualities and pulp fiction should enjoy this camp sci-fi romp.

Me? I'm biased and give it a cool 19.8/10

Monster Magnet
Old 5th November 2013, 09:19 AM
Cult Addict

Last night me and her watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (The Gary Oldman version)
A distinctly British film about a retired agent from the Department of Extremely Boring British Intelligence Etc. Or D.E.B.B.I.E for short. Who is called out of retirement in order to investigate his former colleagues when it is suspected one of them may be leaking boring information to the Russians in order for them to be more boring.
I fell asleep twice and it was still going. In the end I gave up and went to bed. And I wasn't particularly sleepy to start with.
Highly recommended as a sedative.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Last night me and her watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (The Gary Oldman version)
A distinctly British film about a retired agent from the Department of Extremely Boring British Intelligence Etc. Or D.E.B.B.I.E for short. Who is called out of retirement in order to investigate his former colleagues when it is suspected one of them may be leaking boring information to the Russians in order for them to be more boring.
I fell asleep twice and it was still going. In the end I gave up and went to bed. And I wasn't particularly sleepy to start with.
Highly recommended as a sedative.
My mate felt the exact same way about it, personally I felt it was a really decent piece of thriller with a stand-out cast (yes even Tom Hardy with that ridiculous hair style). The book is a lot better to be fair.
troggi likes this.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"A Moose once bit my sister, you know"
Now if you think that I've been to the zoo you're in the wrong forum! I had to watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" since finding it the other week. As I said in the "First date Movies" thread some time ago I saw this the first time it came out, umpteen times since and, more recently (durr), a couple of nights ago. This film does not grow old because there are no references in it to make it age! A sublime comedy which, when analysed, is actually a series of short sketches stitched together around a common theme, just what Python did best!

As my scoring system is a little "Pythonic" I'll give it 23 fish out of 10 comfy chairs!

Last night, with some trepidation, I decided to watch "The Final Programme" (1973). Last viewed when I was 14 years old with a gang of like-minded individuals who were all heavily into the writings of Michael Moorcock! Would it stand the test of time? Would it, like some other old favourites, not live up to my memories of it? Would I still like it?

My fears have been proven to be just fears! I loved it! The film looks great after all these years and, in my opinion, is just as watchable. Based on the book, "The Final Programme", by Michael Moorcock it takes the hero, Jerry Cornelius, on a journey from his father's funeral to the end of the "long age of darkness!" Set in a post apocalyptic world, that looks incredibly seventies,"The Final Programme" is a colourful sci-fi jaunt set to crappy comedy music that gets quite irritating. The needle gun battles between Jerry Cornelius and his brother, Frank, are pretty hectic but the final fight between Jerry and Miss Brunner's "lover", Dimitri, is so camp and lame you'll just have to laugh out loud.

"The Final Programme" bears a strong resemblance to the Moorcock penned novel but misses a lot of the humour, sleaze and violence of the book. I suppose that it is difficult to capture the essence of such an iconic writer as Moorcock in 86 minutes of celluloid! Jon Finch plays the role of the wise-cracking "English Assassin" very well and Jenny Runacre's "Miss Brunner" is funny, strangely alluring and dangerous. Look out for a small crowd of well-known supporting actors including; Geoge Coulouris, Julie Ege, Sterling Hayden and Patrick Magee, amongst others,

"The Final Programme" has it's faults and is DEFINITELY "of it's time" but it is a cracking film which does not tax the viewer for too long. Anyone interested in Moorcock, aspects of the 1970s, psychedelia, ambiguous sexualities and pulp fiction should enjoy this camp sci-fi romp.

Me? I'm biased and give it a cool 19.8/10
TFP is just one of those films, the more I watch it, the more I wonder "How the flip did they get this made?" but then as a Bed Sitting Room fan maybe I should just thank my blessings cough.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th November 2013, 11:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Next Door (1994, Tony Bill)

James Woods and Randy Quaid are neighbours. JW is a middle class college professor, RQ is a butcher at the local packing plant. What starts as a middling dispute over a lawn sprinkler turns into a tooth & nail battle for survival.
A surprisingly sour little TVM (??? adult language proliferates, so IMDB is playing me here I think), with Woods playing against type as the academic. Quaid though, sheesh, at points you will think he's wandered in from a completely different film imo.
Sadly it all boils down to the maxim that violence solves everything, but don't let this put you off.
I can only wonder what Jess would have done with this story.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th November 2013, 02:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Vampire Journals (1997).

Zachary, a wayward vampire out for revenge against his own kind finds himself trying to protect an innocent girl from the powerful vampire Ash and his deadly coven of the undead.

Vampire Journals is one of Charles Band's Full Moon productions and stars Jonathon Morris, best known as Adrian Boswell from eighties tv classic Bread. Don't let this put you off though as Vampire Journals is pretty enjoyable. I used to have this on vhs and together with 1992's Tale of the Vampire ,had always wanted it on dvd. The film i remembered was bloody and choc full of nudity. Luckily watching Vampire Journals 16 years later i was pleased to find my memory didn't lie. Blood is spilt, heads roll and necks are bitten frequently, the film also has a couple of orgy scenes and other titilating sequences. Director Ted Nicolau, a veteran of Full Moon straight to video rubbish clearly knew his stuff by 97 and made the film look quite impressive despite its impoverished budget.

The film benefits from its East European locations with many scenes playing out in some rather posh mansion houses with characters that look to have been swiped from classic horror productions of the sixties, giving the film a nicely polished Gothic feel to it. The acting isn't always wonderful and the film could really do with a Cushing, Price or Lee to give it gravitas, but on the whole Full Moon have done a good job with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6b588edc795467ecdfcc079ffc7eb778.jpg (93.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 5th November 2013, 05:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
My mate felt the exact same way about it, personally I felt it was a really decent piece of thriller with a stand-out cast (yes even Tom Hardy with that ridiculous hair style). The book is a lot better to be fair.
Thriller? If it had been about Alan Titmarsh being hired to look for an actual mole in the gardens of British Intelligence headquarters that would have been more thrilling.
We were both wide awake when we stuck it on. 3 hrs later I nodded off. Woke up after half hour or so and went and made a cup of cheswick and sat down to try again. Lasted another 2 hrs then nodded off again. Woke up about an hour later to find the missus fast asleep on the other end of the sofa and Gary Oldman still meandering around the most boring locations I've ever seen In a film looking for his bloody slippers or whatever he was up to.
trebor8273, troggi and SCM like this.

Last edited by J Harker; 5th November 2013 at 05:20 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!