Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2009, 07:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
just watched this

90 minuetes of excellent mindless entertainment. plays like an updated female version of The Wild Ones, with lots of catfights, nudity, mobsters , even a seduction of priest

i do recommend seeking this on out

sounds great, i love a bit of pinky violence
Old 12th November 2009, 09:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I just watched Don't Answer the Phone for the first time and thought it was pretty good. There was a bit of audio hiss here and there though on the BCI disc, but other than that the sound and pic quality was good. The score's pretty mad too - very synthy!
Old 12th November 2009, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Glad you liked it B-E. The guy who plays the killer is great and i love its seedy atmosphere.

Cool Score.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 12th November 2009, 11:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just watched Madman, which I have never seen before. Splendid fun! Camp as its own setting, ridiculous, wonderful fun. And a woman who looks like Michael Berryman in a curly wig...quality.

Now either Don't Answer The Phone or Cold Eyes Of Fear...not sure which...
Old 12th November 2009, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cold Eyes is good but watch Dont Answer the Phone first.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 13th November 2009, 12:53 AM
Ex-member

"Drag me to Hell"

Nice to see our Sam getting back to his whacked-out horror roots with a fine little film that manages to mix his hyper-kinetic, slapstick, horror violence (though no real gore sadly) and sticky fluid throwing with top notch FX work and high tech gloss.

Nicely played by all, this is packed with memorable moments, but perhaps it does blow its load too early with the truly stunning, laugh out loud funny, gross, exciting, creepy as hell car park fight scene, as our heroine, Christine, fights off the rampaging power of a pissed off old Gypsy woman with a grotesque eye and even worse dentures.
This is easily one of the finest moments in Raimi's career.

From then on we have some good and well crafted scares and smackdowns as Christine's 'dragged to Hell' possible fate gets nearer.
Raimi astutely plays these fright scenes for (for the most part) black comic laughs and the chance to pile on the slapstick violence.
This ensures the incidents become purely entertainment, instead of seriously delivered false scares, which would have been a huge and costly mistake as the plot has explicity told us that actually...she's not in the slightest bit of real danger yet.

Fans of his early work will relish the muck, filth, vomit, goo and blood plastered all over these scenes as well as the 'Three Stooges' level of bodily abuse.
And almost all the effects are expertly rendered and imaginative.

And if it wasn't for one easily avoidable cock-up near the end involving far too much (needlessly and easily avoided) fuss being made about something happening that should barely have got any coverage at all...The film would also have ended as effectively as the journey to that ending most certainly was.
The ending itself is perfectly fine...Raimi just blew the possible effectiveness of it by foolishly telling us pretty much what was going to happen 10 minutes or so before.

There were also a few other niggles.
Much is made of Christine's bashed up lip in one sequence, only to have said bashed up lip in the very next scene (in huge close-up no less) then shown to be absolutely unmarked in any way! Boy, frozen peas are a miracle cure!

We are also informed about the Seer who Christine goes to visit offering to refund money paid for her aborted fortune reading.
Yet, in one continuous scene, all the Seer ever does is take hold of the credit card, walk into a room, turn the light off and sit down at the table to do the reading.
Unless the guy is not just a palm reader but also Human credit card reader...he never took any money!

The film also has some plot hiccups as far as huge jumps in the narrative go, which makes me think a number of bridging scenes were cut.
For example Christine goes from walking out of a dinner, to a bust up at the Indian Seer's shop, to her trying to gather money together to pay for help when all of a sudden her boyfriend comes in and says he has paid the Seer!
But as far as we are shown the boyfriend was never with her during any of these scenes, she has had no contact with him and has no idea at all about the need for money or what it's for.
And seeing as only Christine can see and hear what she does...there is actually no sense in her uber-sceptical boyfriend suddenly becoming uncertain about what he believes.
It seems some kind of rushed editing of screenplay or actual footage shot was the order of the day.

Al this aside though..."Drag me to Hell" was a nice return to his roots for Raimi and, although disappointingly low on gore, it delivers tons of fast paced, slam bang supernatural violence, laughs and thrills.
Old 13th November 2009, 02:58 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I did watch Don't Answer The Phone.

Thoroughly unpleasant and really quite depressing - I liked it a lot. Fascinating depiction of the rapist/murderer's personality and of a world generally suspicious of and hostile to women. An accomplished slash...er...strangler flick IMO. Great soundtrack too, though it was obtrusive on occasion.

Glad to have seen it finally. Thanks Loops.
Old 13th November 2009, 07:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Inside"

Another slice of extreme gore and violence from France that has a few WTF moments mixed in the with genuine shocks. A little bit more fleshing out of the characters rather than getting the flesh out of the characters would have made this a little better. Still this is a gore movie worth catching as long as a thrill ride is all you are looking for. 3/5

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 13th November 2009, 08:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Tried to watch House of the dead yesterday, don't worry I didn't buy it, was on the telly so my 'how bad is Uwe Boll' curiosity kicked in.
Didn't get past 30 mins of it. Loved the random flashes of the game just to remind you that its a movie of the game.

Another from my 'to watch' pile was Doomsday.
Really enjoyed it, one of the most unoriginal movies ever but great fun. Loads of decent gore in it too
Old 13th November 2009, 11:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched Chan-wook Park's Thirst last night, sombre, beautiful, funny and very, very bloody.

Little too long for its own good but a return to form after his mediocre I'm a Cyborg.

Like this? Share it using the links below!