All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2013, 12:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Convict 762 (1997)

Another from the Mill Creek 10 Movie Pack.

An all female long haul spaceship crew unwittingly come face to face with a serial killer when they have to refuel at a penal colony.

Far better than the previous Final Encounter, Convict 762, again has great effects but this time allies them with a decent story of murder aboard the confines of a dark space craft. As a reference point its along the lines of Alien without any monsters, well not alien ones anyway. The all girl crew are typical stereotypes which we've seen too many times before but the fun is seeing them get killed off in this claustrophobic sci-fi thriller. The always watchable, yet ultimately hammy, Billy Drago and Frank Zagarino play two similar stowaways one of whom is the titular convict 762. The plot's who-dunnit and which of them is the serial killer scenario actually became far too predictable in its unpredictability, but on the whole this wasn't too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg convict-762-913785l.jpg (60.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 14th November 2013, 12:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I've not seen that many TBH. I do have Shameless's Flavia the Heretic, but I'm yet to make it to the end, despite trying 3 or 4 times in the last two years
That makes two of us. Christ it's dull.
Rik and troggi like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th November 2013, 02:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
That makes two of us. Christ it's dull.
Dull true, but a naked nun inside a disembowled cow...it's top spanky round my house!
Old 14th November 2013, 03:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

All the movies I've watched during my city's international film festival,fewer this year because I was a bit ill

Old 14th November 2013, 03:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've have seen it three times and still don't like it, but it's still worth watching. At least you can make up your own mind.
Why would you watch a film you don't like three times?
troggi likes this.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:03 AM
Cult Addict

Well said, i'll watch anything once,( well almost anything) but if it dont hit the spot it's outta here. Having said that there's so many film's that i've appreciated more on a second viewing, then again there has to be something intruiging that makes a film worth that second viewing.
i'm just rambling now, it's that goddamn Demon drink again folks.
troggi likes this.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Why would you watch a film you don't like three times?
I've tried (and failed) to watch and like Shaun of the Dead 3 times (well, 2 and a half). There are certain films that so many people seem to rave about that you almost convince yourself that you must have not been in the 'right mood' when you first watched it, so you give it another chance. There are bound to be some who go a step further and give things a further chance. Plus there is the 'friend influence' where sometimes you're forced to watch something you've maybe seen before and not liked due to a mass consensus.
Old 15th November 2013, 01:04 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've tried (and failed) to watch and like Shaun of the Dead 3 times (well, 2 and a half). There are certain films that so many people seem to rave about that you almost convince yourself that you must have not been in the 'right mood' when you first watched it, so you give it another chance. There are bound to be some who go a step further and give things a further chance. Plus there is the 'friend influence' where sometimes you're forced to watch something you've maybe seen before and not liked due to a mass consensus.
I know exactly what you mean. I saw War of the Worlds twice at the cinema and again at home and still don't understand the critical acclaim and popularity. The same goes for Titanic, which I also saw twice at the cinema, watched recently at home and own on BD. I watch it when it watch all the Best Picture Oscar winners, but it's not the most pleasurable way to spend three hours.
troggi likes this.
Old 15th November 2013, 03:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
WOW! I'm glad I'm not the only person here that doesn't like Sean of the Dead!

I've actually got to admit to trying to watch film I don't like multiple times in order to like it because society or whoever, thinks I should like it. Inception, The Shining and Dr. Strangelove are three examples of films I've tried watch g more than once and either failed to like it of failed to make it to the end.

Speaking of which, I am going to give ADR. Strangelove one more chance tonight.
troggi likes this.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Last couple of films I saw were two of Hammer's near the end of their (then) demise.

These were.....

Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell.

I really enjoyed this one. The expected great performance by Cushing, decent looking sets and visuals, excellent support from the rest of the cast - in particular the guy who plays the monster and gives the character great empathy - and some great individual scenes that show just how mad the baron has become - oooh, kidneys! - all make it in my opinion the second best Hammer Frankenstein film, bar Curse.

Overall 8/10.

I then watched The Legend of The 7 Golden Vampires.

I also really enjoyed this one as well. The mix of kung fu and horror made it a interesting watch. The two elements were handled well together with some energetic kung fu scenes and vampire 'melting' scenes keeping the film going at a good pace. The character of Vanessa Buren played by Julie Ege, despite not a particularly impressive performance, was also interesting as she, arguably, unlike a number of examples of women in more traditional hammer horror, isn't essentially a damsel in distress. Cushing again, gives a great performance. I felt the visuals in this film in particular were very striking and colourful - almost Bava-esque - and this also really helped to keep me engaged.

Overall 8/10.

Like this? Share it using the links below!