All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2013, 01:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

House of 1000 Dolls (1967).

I'd never heard of this little seen film until Mediumrare released it earlier this year in the UK.

A couple on holiday in Tangiers run into an old friend searching for his wife who he believes was kidnapped by white slave traders.

This Harry Alan Towers production is a nicely made film, its exotic location work giving the impression of a big budget film. The film is more thriller than horror and reminded me of other Towers films such as The Girl from Rio. The film utilizes the talents of a major horror star of the decade, in this case its not Towers usual star Christopher Lee but Vincent Price. The role of Manderville the magician, a seedy character who it seems is at the centre of the kidnapping ring seems written for Price and suits him down to the ground.

Whilst it could never be considered high octane, the film has a pacy feel to it with one or two decent set pieces as well as the usual whippings and torture to add a bit of titillation.

If anyone picks up this dvd innstore don't go off the stills on the back of the box. They give the impression of a ropey picture quality and that really isn't the case with this nice 2:35 letterbox print.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House_of_1_000_Dolls-993529967-large.jpg (96.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th November 2013, 01:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Neon Maniacs (1986)

Despite a, from what I can tell, reputation as a so bad its good film I actually found this to be a legitimately good 1980's horror. I loved all the different mutant creatures and how they gave each one its own identity and character. The performance from the central teenage characters I also found to be quite impressive and so I was digging for them throughout the film.

Sure it is as cheesy as hell but considering its a 1980's horror film and when so many of them have that cheesy quality surely it should be considered a genuine positive? It knows what it is and gets on with it at a good pace.
Old 17th November 2013, 01:56 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

The last 20 movies I've watched...

Some great stuff here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28.jpg (106.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 17th November 2013, 04:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

This week was Tigon British Film week!

Hannie Caulder (1971) Not a bad little western
Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968) Hmmm! Did nothing for me although it did have Barbara Steele in a nice shade of green!
Au Pair Girls (1972) Boobs and Pu**s ahh 70's chicks!
Blood on Satan's Claw (1970) A film I haven't seen since I was a kid and I had forgotten all about it except for the scene where Linda Hayden strips off, I do remember that!
Witchfinder General (1968) Liked it
Virgin Witch (1972) "OOHH Renee!" Vicki Michelle
Zeta One (1969) What a piece of S**T! James Robertson Justice apparently was ashamed to have starred in such a film...I can understand why! Also Charles Hawtry playing the same old role he does in every movie he's made!
Come Play With Me (1977) A comedy that frankly wasn't funny.
Black Beauty (1971) After 'Au Pair Girls', 'Virgin Witch', 'Zeta One' and 'Come Play With Me' imagine my dissapointment when I realised this movie was about a horse!

Not Tigon....but only because I didn't realise it wasn't
Tales That Witness Madness (1973) Another I haven't seen since I was a kid! Not bad!

Anyway I'm getting a little jaded on the movie front so I going to take a break for a while!
Old 17th November 2013, 05:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Zeta One (1969) What a piece of S**T! James Robertson Justice apparently was ashamed to have starred in such a film...I can understand why! Also Charles Hawtry playing the same old role he does in every movie he's made!
I think Zeta One is great, camp, fun. Whats not to like about it?

As for Robertson Justice, he's best known for playing Sir Lancelot Spratt, so he can't really complain about bad films.
mr 420 and troggi like this.
Old 17th November 2013, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

i monster

amicus telling a dr Jekyll and mr Hyde. OK but done better many time before, but as usual great performances for Lee and Cushing. 7/10

The outing aka the lamp

a enjoyable bit of cheese, about a DJinn is released after a old woman who is its keeper is killed. it ends up in a museum where the curators daughter and and some friends, end up spending the night and fall victim to the djinn. we have some very imitative deaths and some dodgy looking special effects. 7/10

Alienator

rip off of terminator. after a prisoner escapes a prison station, he makes his way to earth, the commander of the prison(jan michael vincent) sends a indestructible bounty hunter(female bodybuilder Teagan). a group of campers and a forest ranger get caught up in the bounty hunters, hunt for the convict. i think hawk was right Jan did seem to be pissed while making this, half the time it looked like he had trouble standing 6.5/10

cyclone
Teri Marshall(the lovely Heather Thomas from the fall guy, what lovely memories i have of her watching the fall guy as a teenager) avengers the death of her boy friend (Jeffery combs) on the motorbike he invented. Martin Landu also stars as the bad guy 7.5/10

eye of the tiger

wonderful bit of 80s cheese with Gary Busey taking on a biker gang after they attack his family, killing his wife and injuring him and his daughter. Busey takes them on with a cool truck that he gets from a person he help in prison and Yaphet Kotto. we also have a corrupt and useless sheriff who will do nothing, as do the townsfolk. we have busey interrogating a man with a stick of dynamite were the sun don't shine and Kotto dropping gernades and dynamite from a bi-plane wearing goggles and a scarf, while listen to James Browns gravity . whats not to like. 8/10

next up watching terrorvision
Old 17th November 2013, 06:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Todays films were

Fin which is an effective end of the world story available from Spain with English subtitles.

The Fields her on the German Blu-Ray. You can read more about my thoughts on this film over on my Diary thread.

and The Last Days another Spanish film which is available on bluray in Spain with English subs.
troggi likes this.

Last edited by SShaw; 17th November 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 17th November 2013, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey again today, this time with kids and without the interrupting phone call in the middle like the last time I watched it the other week.
I think I enjoyed it more second time round and can't wait to take Number 1 Son to watch the next instalment in a months time
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th November 2013, 07:21 PM
Cult Addict

Just about to watch a DVD-R transfer of Deranged on YT before I decide if I want to get the BD in the upcoming Arrow winter sale (assuming there is one). If I can squeeze it in i'll watch motel Hell again to for a full double bill of american sleazy quasi-slashers.

DVD and BD collection
Old 17th November 2013, 07:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Monsters University with my two daughters. Best fun I've had in ages. Two girls had a blast too. Looks amazing on blu
Rik, trebor8273 and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!