Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179018Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
I watched Assault on Precinct 13 again last night, an awesome film.

Today I was stuck in doors so found time for Wolverine, Gangster Squad and ShadowDancer. The latter, which I missed at the Edinburgh Film Festival last year, is particularly recommended. A very effective thriller about an IRA informant set around the time of the Good Friday Agreement.

and finished the evening with another look at Carrie one of only a handful of successful Stephen King adaptations. Will try to catch the remake if it plays the local Kino.
Shadow Dancer I liked a lot. Reminded me of the time when all I watched were realist Grittish films....ah, happy days.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I can only watch it for about twenty minutes before getting really annoyed at it and switching it off. It's just all over the place and feels like awe it'd acid trip of a film... And not in a good way.
NBK is nothing like tripping btw cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd December 2013, 04:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the second half of the Amicus documentary, great stuff very enjoyable. This one ran almost two hours but it flew by. The last few minutes were dedicated to the late and great Peter Cushing. A/V wasn't as bad as I had initially thought. Would love to get some Amicus titles on Blu-ray!
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Might watch a film called fido with billy Connelly has anyone seen it, anygood?
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:03 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I liked it as it was somewhat different.
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Might watch a film called fido with billy Connelly has anyone seen it, anygood?
Loved it.

One of my favourites of the century so far.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fido

A wonderful bit of whimsy. When the world is overtaking by zombies the zombie wars break out giant fences are constructed around city's to keep the zombie hoards out, a company called zomcom develop collars to domestic zombies. Years late Helen Robinson gets a zombie played by billy Connelly to help around the house,which forms a friendship with her young son, lots charm and wonderful ideas in this film, with the young boy and billy Connelly both given fantastic performances. It's almost like a Steven speilberg movie, with how charming and whimsy it is at times, just replace E.T with a zombie and you get the idea. Definitely one that makes you feel better and gives you a warm feeling and puts a smile on your face. I would recommend those who haven't seen it give it a go. 10/10

Edit

Next up the howling, which stupidly got the DVD version by mistake but might just keep until there is a uk release of it on blu

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd December 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE HANGOVER III. Some slapstick moments made me laugh out loud and a few scenes with Alan, I found oddly touching. Other than that, it's the same old same old. Worth a rent if you liked the others.
Old 3rd December 2013, 02:44 AM
Cult Addict

Watched the old Bela Lugosi flick 'Murders in the Rue Morgue', it was ok But not particularly impressive. Bela's a kinda freakshow type bloke with a gorilla who is given over to ranting about how we are all descended from apes, much to the disgust of the locals, and when he's not doing that he's abducting women.
He's injecting his victims with gorilla blood for some bizarre reason that i'm still not sure of.
Not a great film though the end was ok and it had some nice photography in places and seems to be partly influenced by 'Dr Caligari'. 5/10

Next was 'The House where evil dwells', a early 80's cheesy haunted house story starring Susan George and Doug Mcclure which i found quite disappointing.
A couple and their daughter move to japan into a house where a bloke killed his wife and her lover. Soon spooky(ish) happenings begin occurring, masks fall off walls, their daughter sees a screaming blokes face in her soup(?), and the couple keep getting taken over by the spirits who live in the house(who make them do stuff against their wills).
This could have been interesting but the ghosts all stand around being dull and are presented as normal people but a bit faded and blue.
The only scenes of interest are the initial murders, the final scenes that suddenly go a bit kung fu briefly, Susan George getting 'em out and a bizarre scene where the couples daughter is terrorised by crabs, who knew crabs could climb trees(?), even this quite creepy scene is ruined by weird overdubbing of the Japanese ghosts voices making strange noises.
This was directed by Kevin Connor who gave us the great 'From beyond the grave' and 'Motel hell' and the enjoyable 'At the earths core' and ' before time' films. I'd say watch those instead. 5/10
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:37 AM
Cult Addict

America 3000.

After Arena and eliminators this one is something of a disappointment. This one is from Cannon films rather than charles band and is set in a post apocalyptic wasteland where men and women are at war with each other. They need to learn how great shagging is so the war can end.
Had this been an unrated/r-rated sleaze fest with tons of violence and gratuitous nudity then it would probably work but it seems pitched at the teen comedy crowd instead so it doesn't. The voice over doesn't work either... Still Arena and Eliminators make the disc worth buying.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!