Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2013, 04:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wrong Turn 2 - A great effort from Joe Lynch. I love this sequel. Great gore, nice helping of T&A, and some funny moments. Stand out for me is Henry Rollins. I think he's great in this. Opening scenes are a hoot. I couldn't wait for the very annoying blond to get her just desserts. Makes me wanna watch the first movie again
Old 16th December 2013, 06:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching Ghost Rider for the first time and it was better than I expected, probably add it to my collection at some point

Anyone know if the sequel is any good?
No. First one is a decent film. Second one is bad. Not even good bad. It's just awful, boring as hell.
There's not many films I just give up on but Spirit of Vengeance was one of them.
Old 16th December 2013, 07:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Finally finished watching RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ (2008)

My puzzled feelings when watching this 6 episode mini-series just show I'm a complete novice to modern anime I guess.

First episode was ok but I had to struggle through some of the others (they serve a purpose though) and then at the end of episode 5 things finally started to become interesting.

Anyone else seen this?

I hate the opening theme song with a passion btw.

keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 16th December 2013, 07:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Finished last night with a second helping of Animals a rather odd Spanish coming of age story about a boy and his teddy bear, recommended but currently only appears to be available on Spanish DVD.

I started this evening with my first Christmas film the Dutch Santa Claus film Sint which I rather like, this time on UK DVD.
Old 16th December 2013, 08:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sweet Vengeance (2013)

In the western town of Sweetwater, a fanatical preacher, a rogue sheriff and a classy former prostitute collide in a blood soaked tale of murder and revenge.

I really enjoyed Sweet Vengeance, it was a film i'd been looking forward to seeing and for once wasn't left wanting more.

For the first twenty minutes i felt the film was trying to be too provocative and clever for its own good, however with the proper introduction of Ed Harris's dingbat sheriff the storyline settled down and evolved into a rather tasty out for revenge western. Stylistically more on the lines of the spaghetti movement or later Hollywood pieces such as The Missing and Seraphim Falls rather than the classic American western of old. In fact having said that its a film which uses colour really well, especially January Jones's beautiful purple dress, startling against the yellows and browns of the classic western environments.

The film has an excellent cast, the already mentioned Ed Harris, Jason Isaacs as the crazed preacher and Madmen's Jones as the landowner whose murdered husband is at the centre of the plot. I've seen Jones in a couple of films recently and this is the first one where she's actually been given something meaty to do, her killing spree in the final twenty minutes is as brutal and well performed as any i've seen, Calamity Jane she ain't. Isaacs as the prophet Jason is downright disturbing at times, his nefarious actions eventually bringing him the unwanted attention of both Jones and Harris.

Sweet Vengeance has some fantastic stand out scenes - Harris crucified upside down for one and Jones, standing naked in the river, turns round, 45 in hand, casually killing her pursuers with ruthless efficiency, for another.

Intelligent, hard hitting and brutal, Sweet Vengeance is highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ENfl6Uv.jpg (60.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th December 2013, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In honour of the passing of the great peter o'toole watched Lawrence of Arabia and high spirits.
Old 17th December 2013, 02:02 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sweet Vengeance (2013)
Like Seraphim, I just put this on my Lovefilm rental list as high priority, so shall report back when I've seen it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Bela Lugosi is put into a trance by his 'dead' wife and commits murders. Enjoyable Poverty Row horror. Bela in his robotic like trance is well acted.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Bela in his robotic like trance is well acted.
It's how he played every role.
Mojo likes this.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonights film (to get me in the mood for Christmas) was the Spanish home invasion flick Kidnapped. A film I first saw at Fright fest and which I picked up on blu in a recent trip to Madrid. Recommended for those of you who like your films to be brutal, uncompromising and dark.

Like this? Share it using the links below!