Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2013, 01:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CHRISTMAS EVIL:

I wanted this to be great but it was terrible. It makes Silent Night Deadly Night seem like an out and out classic
Old 27th December 2013, 01:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
CHRISTMAS EVIL:

I wanted this to be great but it was terrible. It makes Silent Night Deadly Night seem like an out and out classic
It is an out and out classic in my book

SNDN is alright...
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 27th December 2013, 02:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I thought they were both excellent, but Brandon Maggart (maybe got his name wrong) makes Christmas Evil the winner in my opinion.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 27th December 2013, 05:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Refn's work and Only God Forgives continues his winning streak for me. Saying that, it's not quite up there for me with either Bronson or Drive.
For me, it's right up there with Valhalla Rising and Fear X as my personal favourites of his. Probably my favourite film of 2013 . . .
keirarts and Invid Ninja like this.
Old 27th December 2013, 05:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Valhalla Rising
Old 27th December 2013, 05:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Hell yeah. Mads is the man . . .
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th December 2013, 05:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Hell yeah. Mads is the man . . .
If all the shots of Mads gazing at the horizon were removed it'd be the length of a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

All that staring and he never noticed the tarmaced road either.
Old 27th December 2013, 05:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Have you seen Only God Forgives? You'd bloody love that. It's basically the Ryan Gosling Staring Variety Show. Top stuff . . .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th December 2013, 05:58 PM
Active Cultist

A Flipside afternoon for me with mixed results -

Sleepwalker - Not really for me, more Play For Today agitprop than horror movie. No real suspense at all, however to be fair it is well acted and directed - maybe it'll improve on second viewing. The extras include Insomniac - genuinely one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through, and a really engaging interview with Saxon Logan, who seems a sound guy (made me feel guilty for not enjoying his work more!)

Schlaken the Painter - now you're talking, not one but 3 excellent little pieces here. The main feature is a slow burner but well worth it for the creepy atmosphere and ghoulish suitor character (who could be the brother of that hag in the A Drop of Water segment of Black Sabbath). The cracking essay in the booklet made me appreciate this film even more - there's a fair bit going on. Also included is a nightmarish take on The Pit on the Pendulum (sans happy ending) and my favourite of the lot, a short film called the Pledge about 3 scumbags trying to get their highwayman buddy's carcass off the scaffold and reinterred in a Lords tomb. There's a really authentic archaic atmosphere here helped by a brilliant soundtrack by none other than Michael Nyman. Overall one of my favourite Flipsides so far.
Old 27th December 2013, 07:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

About to watch burial ground, the most disturbing thing is not the zombies it's that kid!! Creepy little bastard!!

Edit
Burial ground

A completely unlikable group of people, get trapped in a old house by a hoard of zombies, as they are all so unlikable you don't care for any of them and I couldn't wait for the zombies to get a hold of them especially the creepy little bastard. Some decent zombie effects but the picture quality does drop dramatically in some places but think this is the best this film will ever look 7/10

Next up either the prowler or murder obsession ( Italian version as it says it longer on back)

Last edited by trebor8273; 27th December 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!