Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponga View Post
Memories of Murder

This movie directed by Bong-Joon-Ho and for my opinion it's
one of the best Asia film of all time! Before I see I know it's
good movie...but after I've finished it...this movie better than
my expected.

Present day I think Korean filmmakers are the best in Asia.They combine mainstream-film with art-film together and that make it's original!

Highly recommend!
Ponga, high-five! I think this is one of the finest movies made, wordwide, this millennium!
Old 17th November 2009, 09:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
HA I saw DARK AGE on VHS way back in the day .It as on the shelf with GREAT WHITE DEATH and TIGERSHARK.GWD had the most misleading cover and TIGERSHARK had a shoddy half ass black and blue cover.I wish I knew what happened to the GWD and DARK AGE tapes?
Yes I can remember Tigershark if it's the one starring Mike Stone who should've been the lead in Enter The Ninja originally.
Old 17th November 2009, 09:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Like I said saw TIGERSHARK on VHS back in the day and then later on DVD and yowza what a difference!
Old 17th November 2009, 12:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I asked the BBFC sometime ago why the Mummy was rated 15 in 2002. This is what they said:

The version that was submitted in 2002 was identical to the previous video version so we weren't allowed to downrate it (a film has to be somehow different in terms of content or ratio - to allow a down rating). As for the PG on the audio commentary, that was probably a mistake before we introduced our current policy of not allowing commentaries to go out at lower categories than features. As to why it was rated 15 (1989)- there was no 12 at the time and it was considered too scary for PG.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:32 PM
Ex-member

Interesting Angel. Shows just what a farce the whole BBFC set-up is.

"The Wolf Man" - (1941)
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvwolfman.php

With the very groovy looking (and actually valid) re-make coming up I took another look at the 'Universal' original.

Thanks to the truly superb scripting and then revolutionary folklore creation by Curt Siodmak The Wolf Man has in fact become the most culturally influential of all Universal's monsters.

Lon Chaney he does everything that needs doing as far as essaying a likeable character caught in a web of tragedy.
But his general hulking physicality and distinctive drawl do not remotely work as far as him being a credible, (estranged or not) son of the slight, very English, very sophisticated, Claude Rains.
As The Wolf Man though, Chaney does a wonderful job and his bulk and physicality are a bonus here.

Claude Rains yet again does a wonderful job as the intelligent, caring, grounded father.
And the unforgettable Maria Ouspenskaya helps to create one of Universal's most iconic non-monster characters as the wise but mysterious foreteller of doom.

For all it's classic status I have to say though that the design of The Wolf Man is for me the least successful of make-up legend Jack Pierce's creations.
The dog snout nose and rather comical bouffant hairdo that the Werewolf sports have dated badly and take away some of the viciousness of the creature, despite the effective looking fangs.

A few logic holes in the plot, but basically thanks to the otherwise effective screenplay, wonderful monster lore, good support characters, wonderfully atmospheric sets and cinematography, tight direction and genuinely effective and tragic lead character, "The Wolf Man" manages to retain much of its classic status historically speaking, and also manages to be an enjoyable fright film in its own right.

I'd still put this behind "Dracula", "Frankenstein", "Son of Frankenstein" and especially "The Invisible Man", but The Wolf Man manages a very respectable placing in Universal's classic monster canon.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:40 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
The version that was submitted in 2002 was identical to the previous video version so we weren't allowed to downrate it (a film has to be somehow different in terms of content or ratio - to allow a down rating). As for the PG on the audio commentary, that was probably a mistake before we introduced our current policy of not allowing commentaries to go out at lower categories than features. As to why it was rated 15 (1989)- there was no 12 at the time and it was considered too scary for PG.
Strange explanation. To be honest I don't think it should have been rated 15 in the first place. It was only an uncut 'A' when it first appeared back in 1933.

How do you rate Bride Of Frankenstein, 42nd?
Old 17th November 2009, 12:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
How do you rate Bride Of Frankenstein, 42nd?
I was just going to ask that! Beat me to it!
Old 17th November 2009, 12:51 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I was just going to ask that! Beat me to it!

Hmm.....Not sure.
I'll have to watch it again (I'm slowly going through some of the 'Universal' films), but as far as I remember I disliked the campy/parody aspect and thought that utterly stupid 'people in jars' sequence was a turkey.

But I have to admit I can't fairly judge it until I pop my peepers over it again.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Many regard it as the be-all and end-all classic of the Universal years, but watching it again recently I find it pales in comparison with the original Frankenstein (and many other Universal films to be honest). The last 15 mins are brilliant but the humour descends into pure daftness and seems completely out of place. The air of menace from the first film is totally missing and even the murder of Hans during the monster's revivial, which should have been a powerful moment, is completely invalidated by the appearance of the incredibly irritating Una O'Connor.

Herecy I know but still......
Old 17th November 2009, 01:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm all about The Old Dark House. A superb film. Ernest Thesiger has me in hysterics every time I see it!

I wish I knew what 1932 American audiences made of Charles Laughton's accent!

Like this? Share it using the links below!