Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2013, 12:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I just finished watching the first season of Rosario + Vampire on US Netflix and it was one of the most enjoyable Anime's i have seen in a while.
bdc and keirarts like this.
Old 31st December 2013, 03:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
A couple of days ago I stumbled into a former co-worker who's a big manga/anime fan.
He knows I used to watch lots of old school anime when I was younger but seemed amused when I told him about my experiences with newer anime shows.

I had him laughing out loud when I told him the first newer anime I watched was Highschool of the Dead (he knows I like horror/scifi).
My liking of Freezing came to no surprise to him as well.

I told him how I had recently finished watching Mnemosyne (which I thought was so-so except for the beginning and end) and FMP? Fomuffo (which was "lighter viewing" and had some fun episodes like the Bunta-kun ones and the deadly virus one)...but that these were not really the type of anime series I was looking for.

He told me I needed more naughtiness!

So I asked him which ones were good as I was basically blind buying.

He told me to come over to his place and there (to my amazement) we watched the first episode of all these series:

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? aka Is This a Zombie?
Girls und Panzer (I asked him specifically to watch this one as it intrigued me)
Rosario + Vampire
High School DxD
Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls
To Love Ru
Kanokon

I really enjoyed watching the first episode of all of them (Kanokon was maybe a bit too much though! ) and was able to get a feel of these series now.

For instance High School DxD reminded me in certain aspects of Freezing.

He told me to come over again soon and we would watch some more first episodes (Kampfer is already planned).

My favourites from the bunch would probably be these but they're all enjoyable imho.

Is this a zombie is hysterically funny. It got a second series which gets even more depraved (but in a light hearted way.) Kampfer I can guarantee as one to enjoy. Sadly not enough episodes but transgender humor and twisted sentient kids toys are only part of the fun!
bdc likes this.
Old 31st December 2013, 04:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DIE HARD 2 - 1990

Classic movie. Love watching movies from the 80's and 90's and spotting familiar faces from some of my favourite horror flicks. Just spotted Richard Domeier from the classic Evil Dead 2 and Don Harvey from Creepshow 2
Pete likes this.
Old 31st December 2013, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default what have you seen

While everybody is looking forward to the future ive been looking into future past,er yeah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Time Machine (1960) 2.jpg (104.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg this_island_earth_poster_03.jpg (97.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 31st December 2013, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Lone Ranger – A confused, overlong, rambling mess. I couldn't work out who the target audience was, where the energy, excitement or interest was supposed to be and how bad the acting was throughout.

I'd heard the UK critics said it wasn't as bad as the US critics had made it out to be, but the US critics were right – it's another cinematic disaster by Jerry Bruckheimer and Gore Verbinski.
Old 31st December 2013, 08:34 PM
Cult Addict

I've not seen it yet but I read somewhere that Tarantino considers it one of the best films of 2013
Old 31st December 2013, 08:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've not seen it yet but I read somewhere that Tarantino considers it one of the best films of 2013
That says quite a lot about Tarantino's current taste in movies. It's woeful.
Old 1st January 2014, 10:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

As I sit here waiting for a cab to take me into work, I reflect on the few films I've seen over the last three weeks.

HOW TO SEDUCE A VIRGIN - The newish Mondo Macabro edition of this Jess Franco flick from his early seventies heyday. It's a great presentation and obviously worth getting if you're into Franco, which I generally am. As a film, I don't think it stands up to those ones which for me encapsulate what I'm looking for in Franco. It features some of his favourite Sadean themes about the transformation of innocence, but I prefer the delirium of things like 'Erotic Rites of Frankenstein' or the dreamy languor of 'Virgin Amongst the Living Dead'. It does give us some nice moments of bizarreness however ie. a dungeon full of 'living corpses' and Lina Romay's disturbing performance, and there's the usual suffocating erotic intensity.

URBAN FLESH - A really scuzzy shot-on-video offering from late nineties Canada. It's about an outfit of cannibals who seem loosely modelled on those degenerate gangs from seventies exploitation movies like 'Last House on The Left' or 'Candy Snatchers'. They're being followed by a cop with an hilarious moustache. There's quite a lot of "abattoir left overs" type gore, and the last twenty minutes are pretty intense. Maybe some will be put off by the camcorder aesthetic, but, call me naïve, I still think it's pretty punk rock that someone can just pick up some consumer grade electronics, throw in some animal entrails, be relatively mean spirited and nasty, and come up with something worth seeing. If these home grown devices can't divert away from 'Urban Flesh's meandering mid-section, there's always that cop's endlessly fascinating walrus-handlebar combo, and epic French-Canadian metal which sings the praises of depresso philosopher Schopenhauer.

THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE - I occasionally still watch this in the hope that it'll one day live up my former expectations of being something really great, but I usually come away dwelling on all the slightly overlong talky scenes and the bits I didn't like. That said, there are enough vivid moments and sequences for it to work for me - the bleak inner city tableau at the beginning; the desolate Lakes scenery; bursts of trippy electronics on the soundtrack; surprising and pretty gross gore for its time; genuine and unsettling atmosphere in places, and quite a nihilistic feel to it, too. It's just that, whereas shit acting, bad dubbing and awful characterisation can really work for trash like 'Pieces', they undermine and frustrate when there seems to be something genuinely powerful going on. It's just a matter of tone. But anyway, I know TLDAMM is well liked on this forum, and, despite its drawbacks, it's a worthwhile, interesting and probably historically important film.

THEATRE OF BLOOD - Absolutely the best of these four by a few miles, 'Theatre of Blood' is a seventies classic and features the always wonderful Vincent Price as a disgruntled actor bent on killing off his theatre critic opponents via hilariously Shakespearean means. It may be a black comedy at heart, but it's as cruel as it is witty and never flags or bores. For me, it has a feeling I'm always looking for in films from around this time, a feeling that's difficult to define but captures something about how I like to imagine early seventies England - a NEL book cover snapshot of grimy concrete and glass, but with something really weird about to happen. I haven't explained that very well. But, whatever, 'Theatre of Blood' is a joy and a must-see.
Old 1st January 2014, 10:57 AM
Active Cultist

Did a New Years eve movie double with my daughter last night teaching her the ways of the classic action film shop we started off with Die Hard which she thought was great and finished off with Predator a
again she liked it but think she prefered Die Hard. Ill make her an 80s kid like me one day as she certainly enjoys watching the film's. I'll introduce her to JCVD movies at some point too, maybe Universal Soilder that's a good starter or Kickboxer.
Old 1st January 2014, 11:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

There's only one film to watch on New Years Eve for me......

Like this? Share it using the links below!