Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2014, 04:56 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

HUMMINGBIRD. Jason Statham kisses a nun and hardly maims anyone in this strange film that mixes light social commentary, natural humour and a wonderfully downbeat ending.
Old 1st January 2014, 05:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
HUMMINGBIRD. Statham kisses a nun .
Is that euphemism ???????/
Old 1st January 2014, 05:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Had a late night last night while drinking some beers and watched the following:

NOTLD doc ONE FOR THE FIRE, Return of the Living Dead 2, Night of the Living Dead 1990, The Dead Will Walk doc, CREEPSHOW extras, Return of the Living Dead 2 doc and a doc on ROTLD3, all of that equals a great night and a late night
Old 1st January 2014, 06:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Is that euphemism ???????/
No, but he f*cks a monk.
Old 1st January 2014, 07:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombie flesh eaters

A zombie masterpiece with so many iconic moments, shark vs zombie, the scene with the zombies rising from the cemetery. Has to have the best zombies in the business. A true classic. 10/10

The beyond

Another Fulci masterpiece. Not much more to say that has not already been said about this atmospheric and gripping classic. 10/10

Now watching house by the cemetery then either black Sunday or lifeforce.

And happy new year to one and all.
Mojo, bdc, Pete and 11 others like this.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just watched THE LORDS OF SALEM, Rob Zombies latest. Was expecting it to be fairly rubbish as I haven't really liked a Rob Zombie film yet but it was actually a really fascinating film, full of old-skool horror movie actors... JUDY GEESON, DEE WALLACE, PATRICIA QUINN, MEG FOSTER, KEN FOREE and lots of references to other films... It descends into very stylish, arthouse-almost, full blown psychedelia in the last 15 mins or so which I thought was a brilliantly inventive way to end the film. Prior to this it was all slow-burning suspense, full of atmosphere, not unlike some of Ty West's movies.

Think Rosemarys Baby and To the Devil a Daughter on acid and that sums this film up quite nicely

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
Amazingly this is the first time I've seen this one and really enjoyed it. Excellent performances all round and I'll take those creepy icky sfx over shitty CGI any day. Nice one from Arrow.

Lifeforce
What can you say about this one? Awful dialogue, gloopy effects and barmy performances all round - it's no wonder it's such a cult classic. First saw this one at the pictures back in the day and it's just as entertaining today. Arrow's Blu - ray looks absolutely gorgeous - as does Mathilda May Grab a few beers and enjoy.
Old 2nd January 2014, 06:44 PM
Cult Addict

Really packing them in at the minute....

The Vagrant

Bill Paxton is an annoying yuppie who becomes increasingly paranoid when he spots a scabby tramp living near his new home. Question is, is the vagrant stalking him or is Paxtons character totally nuts? Things get progressively worse for him when people in the neighborhood start turning up dead.
The films deeply flawed in many respects but it's still a fun watch thanks to the great central performance from Bill Paxton and the fact the whole thing is played like a deeply twisted comedy.

The Godsend

A very early 80's British horror from producers Golan and Globas. This is a great little brit chiller reminiscent of a Norman J Warren picture. A couple meet a strange pregnant woman in the woods and take her home (as you do) she has her kid then promptly disappears. The couple decide to raise the child along side their own fairly sizable brood. Soon their own kids start dying off one by one and the chief suspect is the adopted daughter.
This is a neat little chiller with a great story that never feels it has to explain itself with any goofy exposition. The true nature of the mystery woman and her child is never more than speculated upon. I really liked this one a lot and i'm surprised i'd never heard of it before. Well worth checking out.

The outing

Aka THE LAMP. A group teens are lured to the local museum overnight when one of them gets possessed by a genie, gruesome deaths soon follow. Not much more to say about this other than its a fun little horror with some nice effects work. It does nothing origional and it's never going to get any awards it's just a fairly fun, middle of the road horror.

Dungeonmaster

Aka Ragewar. A computer geek at the dawn of the cyber revolution takes time from his new google glass sunglasses to propose to his missus. That night they promptly get sucked into a demonic game after the devil decides this computer malarky is a lot of fun. Only Charlie band could attach his name to a film so nuts yet so weirdly entertaining. The whole endevour feels like the plot was hatched on the back of a matchbook so the three different directors attached to this 77 minute film could go as nuts as they wanted. Worth watching. If you have any drugs take them (kidding! )

Cellar Dweller

Exemplifies exactly what it is I love about Charles band productions. This one is directed by John Carl Beuchler. Jeffrey Combs comic book artist unwittingly unleashes a demonic beast from the pages of his comic book. He kills himself trying to get rid of it. Years later a fan turns up at his house, now an artists retreat, to continue his work. This film has plenty to reccomend it. Decent creature effects, gore, Jeffrey Combs and some T & A. A lot of fun.

Catacombs

From the director of Crawlspace David Schmoeller (who also provides a commentary track on this disc) and Charlie Bands Empire pictures, This is a superb little demonic possession film shot in Italy. A young woman visits a monastery as an ancient evil buried underneath is unleashed. Slow burning and well directed this is surprisingly restrained by empire pictures standards but still a great little movie with some superb photography from Sergio Salvati and another great score from Pino Donaggio.

Contamination 7

Not an Empire films production this is one I was still looking forward to. It's a FILMRAGE production! Yep trashy Italian horror and this one is grade A!

Joe D'amato is one of two directors attached to this American set tale of killer trees that at one point apparently was titled Troll 3. If I say now that the damned film gives Troll 2 a run for its money in the utter shite stakes know that i'm not joking. I loved it. Please bear in mind however my irrational love for god-awful late 80's early 90's italian trash before you watch!

Westworld

Bit of a departure but I had the Blu to hand. Still great piece of cinema after all these years even if Michael Criton did xerox the damn thing for the plot of Jurassic Park. The Blu has the Ted Post directed pilot episode for the never picked up Westworld TV series that while awful in many, many ways is a curio i'm glad to own.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:16 AM
Cult Addict

Well, was going to get started on those westerns but De Palmas THE FURY was sat there unopened and I couldn't resist the little hussy.

I'm sure everyone here's seen the damn film but its a genuinely unappreciated entry into DePalma's filmography in my opinion. He re-visits the whole telekinesis stuff from Carrie and using Farris's novel as a template adds in some espionage and action scenes and hires in the great Kirk Douglas to star alongside New York Director/Character actor John Cassavetes. It's a film that improves with age and the flawless picture quality on the Arrow Blu-ray really sells the film well. There is still perhaps too much story for the film to handle and I would like to have seen more of his son Robins corruption from innocent teenager to rage addicted psychic monster but the film still works for me nontheless.

Watching all the extras I soon realized it had gone 11 and couldn't be arsed making my way through the epic amount of extras on THE BIG GUNDOWN so instead I stuck on the Blu Ray of Carrie.

Extras wise compared to the DVD release it stinks but the picture and sound quality are both excellent. The film is still a fantastic watch and i'm dreading the day I finally see the remake. Forgotten what an asshole Travolta plays in the film.
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

If you want to cherish your memories of the original, don't see the remake – I wish I hadn't!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!