Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2014, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Willard
Really enjoyed this one which is down to crispin glovers performance as Willard, a outsider with no friends, a boss who loves to humiliate him, this all changes when he finds out he can communicate with rats, Glover gives us a performance in which gives us a sympathetic and likeable character who you route for. Glen Morgan of x files fame is the writer/ director and we have a little nod to the show in the form of a ginger pussy called Scully. 9/10

Dr mordrid

Another one I enjoyed, ok it's not going to win any awards but a great performance from the underrated Jeffery combs as usual. Was going to be a dr strange movie, would of been interesting to see what that would of been like. Also it could of made a very good tv series. 8.5/10

Well next up my first viewing of hellgate
Rondadoronron likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 17th January 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 17th January 2014, 07:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Deranged (2012).

I didn't dislike this Spanish set British horror movie. However it is difficult to recommend as i found myself groaning at some of the set ups and thought on the whole, the four girls holding the film together to be fairly unlikable.

I found it to be one of the rare films that i could guess plot developments fifteen minutes before they came to fruition, which to some is the sign of a poor film but somewhat of a novelty to me.

The film co-stars Brit film icon Craig Fairbrass. Hmm! I wonder who the killer could be?

Still after all this, i know i'll probably watch it again at some point because although there is so much better out there, there is also so a heck of a lot worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DERANGED-Movie-Poster-2-424x600.jpg (92.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th January 2014, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I think there is something wrong with me I'm enjoying hellgate.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I think there is something wrong with me I'm enjoying hellgate.
There sure is, coughTCM2cough.
Old 18th January 2014, 09:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Iron Sky: The Dictator cut on German blu which adds around 20 minutes of fun to an already enjoyable movie.

I also found time for Demons and the Time Bandits as part of my continuing Project to watch all of my Arrow releases in the first half of 2014.
Old 18th January 2014, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Boardwalk Empire I-III

Over Xmas & NY. I don't think I'll ever enjoy and rewatch a TV series as much as The Sopranos but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed this, it has a lot going for it and is pretty dark, twisted and humourless compared to The Sopranos.

Strong points for me are the character Richard Harrow and the build up and uncovering of the sickening dynamic between Jimmy Darmody, Gillian Darmody and Commodore Louis Kaestner.

Roll on BD release of season 4.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th January 2014, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gremlins

Thought I would give this a watch while there is still a little Christmas spirt left. Another favourite childhood film of mine, a 80s classic and even for all it's violence I still find it a very festive movie. For those who might not know the town square in this is the same one used in back to the future. Very nice looking steelbook 10/10

Hellgate

Not hard to see why this is disliked so much, awful dialogue, bad acting and a confusing story, but it's also very eerie in places and dispite all it's problems I found myself enjoying it and will be getting more viewings. 7/10

Enter the ninja

After completing his training as a ninja frank Nero goes and visits a old war buddy , were he ends up battling Christopher George's ( City of the living dead , the exterminator) camp villains, henchmen when George he finds that his men are next to useless against our ninja, he hires a ninja of his own to take care of him, this ninja turns out to be a rival of Nero's. A enjoyable 80s movie, which only could of been made in the 80s. A whole lot of fun. 8/10

Next up the sentinel
Old 18th January 2014, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict

COP.

A short break in the WIRE marathon to check out this excellent little thriller with James Woods based on the James Ellroy novel Blood on the moon.

Woods plays the almost typical Ellroy cop. A man who is many shades of gray. He's a loving father who sits and recounts the daily horrors of his job to his little girl in order to protect her from going down the wrong path from being disillusioned. He's dirty but not outright evil, more a bastard who is looking to get the job done however he can.

He begins tracking a serial killer who has been stalking LA undetected for many years killing women in some fairly brutal ways. We don't get any on screen slayings but the director certainly does not spare the audience the grisly aftermath either. Even after his murky and disreputable behavior gets him suspended he still continues to track the killer.

COP is an excellent noir-ish tale set in the seedy underbelly of LA. Ellroy's story's can make great cinema when done right and this is one of those examples. Woods is superb in the central role and we also get a great turn from Charles Durning as well.

It's a bit dear at the minute, but seeing as it was an MGM release here's hoping it gets a HD upgrade. Either way, if you get the chance check this one out.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
COP.

A short break in the WIRE marathon to check out this excellent little thriller with James Woods based on the James Ellroy novel Blood on the moon.

Woods plays the almost typical Ellroy cop. A man who is many shades of gray. He's a loving father who sits and recounts the daily horrors of his job to his little girl in order to protect her from going down the wrong path from being disillusioned. He's dirty but not outright evil, more a bastard who is looking to get the job done however he can.

He begins tracking a serial killer who has been stalking LA undetected for many years killing women in some fairly brutal ways. We don't get any on screen slayings but the director certainly does not spare the audience the grisly aftermath either. Even after his murky and disreputable behavior gets him suspended he still continues to track the killer.

COP is an excellent noir-ish tale set in the seedy underbelly of LA. Ellroy's story's can make great cinema when done right and this is one of those examples. Woods is superb in the central role and we also get a great turn from Charles Durning as well.

It's a bit dear at the minute, but seeing as it was an MGM release here's hoping it gets a HD upgrade. Either way, if you get the chance check this one out.
Picked this up this week from HMV for 1.50 in their 70% off sale. Sounds great from your review so might nudge it up towards the top of the 'to watch' pile

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
COP.

COP is an 80's masterpiece... one of James Woods' best! I'd also recommend BEST SELLER to any fans of COP out there, its not as good but its close, and Wood's is on top form again

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Like this? Share it using the links below!