Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2008, 11:44 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

The ending to 'Return' is fantastic. Really tense and brilliantly shot.
Old 27th July 2008, 05:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Blind Dead films are terrific, particularly Tombs and Return.

I have the US 'Coffin' set. I would have bought the ABUK set, but some stupid arse from the BBFC cut 16 seconds from Tombs. Utterly pointless.

The Blind Dead also make an appearance in John Gilling's The Devil's Cross ( 1975 ). Anyone seen it?
Old 27th July 2008, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Can anyone outline the differences between the US and Spanish versions of "Tombs..." and "Return..." ? The Spanish version of "Tombs..." is 97 minutes long against the 83 minute US version, and "Return..." is about 4 minutes longer.
Old 28th July 2008, 06:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

All I know is that the US version was heavily cut for an R to remove a lot of violence. I don't know if they cut anything else.
Old 28th July 2008, 08:49 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sexual violence was cut to get the R rating - do the ABUK versions not contain both versions of the film? The BU boxset does - fans of this collection should check out The Lorley's Grasp aswell. Another Spanish horror gem from de Ossorio.

Speaking of Any Milligan - as anyone seen his short film; Vipors? It's amazing, hard to believe its by the same man who made Bloody Butchers! lol
I've also just bagged his 'Her Flesh' Trilogy - happy days!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 28th July 2008, 10:52 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Last night watched the original "Frankenstein" (1931) and "Bride Of Frankenstein" (1935). Very good and very gothic. Great story with some incredibly comical bits - like the famous girl and the lake scene! lol!

Anyone else seen these films?
Old 28th July 2008, 10:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes I love those old Universal horrors, also including The Mummy, Dracula and The Wolfman. Still entertaining after all these years.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:23 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes great entertainment for me too. The atmosphere in those films is simply unique.
Old 28th July 2008, 02:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Yes I love those old Universal horrors, also including The Mummy, Dracula and The Wolfman. Still entertaining after all these years.
Fans should also pick up the great Invisible Man Legacy boxed set which contains all the studios Invisible Man films & The Invisible Woman.I have the boxed set with the nice resin busts of the other horror classics.I keep meaning to watch the Spanish version of Dracula which is actually supposed to be superior on the whole to the Tod Browning version.Of all the Universal offerings I'd say the Mummy series of films was their lowpoint but they are still watchable on the whole.Unfortunately the stockily built Lon Chaney Jnr makes a far less convincing Mummy than the tall & lean Chris Lee in the 1959 Hammer film.
Old 28th July 2008, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Was wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know if the UK DVD release of Bava's 'Bay of Blood' is uncut and if not how long is it cut by? (Angel and Vince i'm guessing you guys will probably know). I picked it up recently because it was really cheap but haven't got round to watching it yet. If it's cut badly I'll probably just order AB's 'Twitch of the Death Nerve' R1 Version.

Cheers in advance

Like this? Share it using the links below!