All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2014, 05:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Hell comes to frogtown

Didn't enjoy this half as much as I thought it would, at best it was average all the characters didn't seem do interesting and didn't really care for any of them, the frogs themselves were probably the only highlight. 5/10

Vigilante

Not what I was expecting, was expecting something like death wish, in some ways it is but it doesn't have the level of shocking violence that death wish did(apart from the boys killing) and at the ending felt rushed and there was a lot more that could of happened. 7/10

Next up the haunted palace
Fella you don't half get through your film watching. Jealous.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 19th January 2014, 05:33 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

PROJECT X. Teen comedy that plays it straight. It has a strange vibe that is half "The Inbetweeners" and half "Superbad" but without the belly laughs. I quite enjoyed it, especially the last third of the film where it switches up a gear and goes crazy.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 19th January 2014, 06:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters. (2013)

Hansel and Gretel have turned pro. Coping with the trauma of their childhood captivity in the gingerbread house by slaying witches for bounty. Things take a turn for the worse with the appearance of the grand witch Muriel.

Anyone who has any idea of where my username comes from will know i like a bit of wicked witchery. So when a film comes along that has leather clad witches on broomsticks, lead by Famke Janssen, attacking a village from the air then i'm in witch heaven.

Seriously, did you read that properly? Leather clad witches on broomsticks attacking a village.... How awesome is that?

Fortunately Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters delivers on all counts, not just the previously mentioned scenes. Its a good old fashioned medieval romp full of folklore and superstition with just the right blend of action which thankfully doesn't rely completely on CGI for its thrills. Added to this is a nice layer of humour, mainly in the dialogue, rather than other methods such as pointless comedy characters, in fact some of the conversation was laugh out loud funny, especially the choice use of expletives.

The film stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton as the titular characters and both do a fine job. Arterton in particular seemed to revel in the madness, be it getting kicked to shit by thugs or headbutting Peter Stormare's sherrif in her opening scenes. The film was directed by Tommy Wirkola, he of Dead Snow, and Wirkola uses similar elements of gore and fun to make Hansel and Gretel a lot more of an entertaining ride than it could have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HanselGretalWH_001a.jpg (98.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th January 2014, 07:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Boogeyman 2;

Few minutes into this and I was hit with the realization that this movie is a remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street 3. Later on I could see Halloween II and the Creepshow segment 'They're Creeping Up On You'. B2 was the unrated director's cut and feature a fair amount of gore and bloodshed. Not bad, but you get the feeling early on that you've seen it all before
Old 19th January 2014, 07:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters. (2013)

Hansel and Gretel have turned pro. Coping with the trauma of their childhood captivity in the gingerbread house by slaying witches for bounty. Things take a turn for the worse with the appearance of the grand witch Muriel.

Anyone who has any idea of where my username comes from will know i like a bit of wicked witchery. So when a film comes along that has leather clad witches on broomsticks, lead by Famke Janssen, attacking a village from the air then i'm in witch heaven.

Seriously, did you read that properly? Leather clad witches on broomsticks attacking a village.... How awesome is that?

Fortunately Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters delivers on all counts, not just the previously mentioned scenes. Its a good old fashioned medieval romp full of folklore and superstition with just the right blend of action which thankfully doesn't rely completely on CGI for its thrills. Added to this is a nice layer of humour, mainly in the dialogue, rather than other methods such as pointless comedy characters, in fact some of the conversation was laugh out loud funny, especially the choice use of expletives.

The film stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton as the titular characters and both do a fine job. Arterton in particular seemed to revel in the madness, be it getting kicked to shit by thugs or headbutting Peter Stormare's sherrif in her opening scenes. The film was directed by Tommy Wirkola, he of Dead Snow, and Wirkola uses similar elements of gore and fun to make Hansel and Gretel a lot more of an entertaining ride than it could have been.
Nice review Dem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gemma-arterton.jpg (28.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th January 2014, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The haunted palace

Not seen this one before, partly based on lovecrafts the case of Charles Dexter Ward, what we have is a very atmospheric film with a good cast including horror legends Lon Chaney jr and Vincent Price. Always surprised how much atmosphere etc roger corman got out of the small budgets of these movies. 9/10

Dagon

based on shadow over innsmouth and not Dagon , the story is transported to mordern Spain, found this to be a very atmospheric lovecraft tale transported to the screen. it's obvious that it's made for TV in some areas eg really poor cgi at times but has some decent acting and as said before very atmospheric and captures the spirt of the authors work and the cthulhu mythos, long time since I've read any lovecraft and after these two I will start reading his works, especially to see how these two movies compare to the writings. 8.5/10

Next up the first movie in the Fernando Di Leo crime collection , Caliber nine

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th January 2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 19th January 2014, 09:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Dagon

based on shadow over innsmouth and not Dagon , the story is transported to mordern Spain, found this to be a very atmospheric lovecraft tale transported to the screen it's obvious that it's macthulhu mythosde for TV in some areas eg really poor cgi at times but has some decent acting and as said before very atmospheric and captures the spirt of the authors work and the cthulhu mythos, long time since I've read any lovecraft and after these two I will start reading his works, especially to see how these two movies compare to the writings. 8.5/10

Whats this? Scottish Lovecraft? I recommend you read a post before clicking submit.

I don't think its for tv at all. Have you ever seen so much gore on telly back then?
Old 19th January 2014, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Whats this? Scottish Lovecraft? I recommend you read a post before clicking submit.

I don't think its for tv at all. Have you ever seen so much gore on telly back then?
I really do need proof read, this stupid iPad has a mind of its own it replaces words with gobbledygook. Don't why I thought it was made for TV .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th January 2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 19th January 2014, 09:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I really need top proof read, .
You don't say.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 19th January 2014, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
You don't say.
It's posssed or it's got gremlins. Instead of possessed it want to put posted ! See it's but posssed instead of possessed!!!!
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!