All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2014, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Victim. (2011)

Michael Biehn's directorial debut is marketed as a piece of grindhouse cinema, and to me it actually lives up to its billing. There are no missing reels or fake scratches on the film, always a sign of film makers thinking they understand what makes grindhouse cinema yet they are so wrong. What we get with The Victim is a tense, scuzzy, gratuitous, occasionally nasty, fast moving slice of exploitation with an edgy, twisty turny plot that keeps you interested.

The story involving a stripper who witnesses the murder of her friend by two police officers in the woods, eventually hiding out at Michael Biehn's isolated cottage to escape from them, is nothing new to the genre, but it's made with an infectious enthusiasm from all involved. For a first stab at the directing lark Biehn does well in my opinion. It's not perfect by any means, a driving scene is overlong for example, perhaps too many flashbacks, and a twist too many, but he manages to create an intense atmosphere and provide the viewer with a, for want of a better word, roller coaster ride of terror, sex and revenge on a minimal budget and small cast of mainly four people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg victim-dvd.jpg (97.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st January 2014, 11:58 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Victim. (2011)
Thanks for the review and recommendation – another for the Lovefilm rental queue!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st January 2014, 02:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Downtown (JF, 1975). The lure of the growler proved too tempting, must show more will power next time!!

The Bank Job (2008, Roger Donaldson). (Lionsgate uk dvd) Set in movie Lahndahn, the Stath cor blimeys it wif 'er from Deep Blue Sea, 'im from All Or Nothing aaaand Peter Bowles says "f*ck" . Sorted!! Well, more or less...from the writers of Steptoe & Son no less....

Vampire Circus (1972, Robert Young). Synapse dvd. Far more nasty than the version I used to watch on tv "back in the day", this lurid tale of revenge and corruption certainly takes the whole packet of biscuits imho.

The Skull (1965, Freddie Francis). Legend Films dvd. Still as eerie as memory served me, I must get me more of Cushing. Contains some of the worst snooker playing in a film I've seen in years ahem.

Behind The Green Door (1972, Artie & Jim Mitchell) As I'd always wanted to see this, I watched it after VC & TS. How quaint it seems in these days of gagging and anal intrusion cough....
Aaaand of course Clement & La Frenais DIDNT write S&S Cough

Bloody Merlot ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st January 2014, 05:01 PM
Cultist

Watched You're Next last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, some pretty strong violence on show too!
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st January 2014, 06:14 PM
Cult Addict

Watched World War Z last night. Brad Pitt is a UN investigator sent out to find the source (and hopefully a cure for) a zombie plague that has swept the planet.
Not a bad film with some nice effects involving hundreds of zombies uniting to achieve feats such as scaling massive walls and dragging down helicopters.
Something was missing though, not sure what. Some more gore wouldn't have gone amiss but I don't think that's necessarily the problem. Still an enjoyable film with some real spectacle for a zombie film.
Old 21st January 2014, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Finished S1 of 'Breaking Bad', halfway through S2. Amazing show so far, though some eps have been very hard to watch - lost my dad to cancer a couple of years ago, he was only 62.
Probably pause after S2 and get through some more films from my pile. Also have some more TV series to watch - Broadchurch, The Returned and Black Mirror.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict

Tonight I watched Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive.
Really great film that just oozes cool, from it's stylish 80's feel to the sudden bursts of drastic violence to the awesome soundtrack.
And Ryan Gosling surprised the hell out of me with his awesome performance, as did Albert Brooks.
The only other film I've seen of Refn's is Valhalla Rising which while ok didn't really make me crave more of his work, so I was a little indifferent going in, but Drive is great and now I do want to get hold of Only God Forgives.
keirarts and Linbro like this.

Last edited by J Harker; 22nd January 2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:36 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched 3 Frankie Boyle stand up shows in a row. Very funny mix of social comment, filth and stuff to frighten the average Joe.
Old 22nd January 2014, 07:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Burning', Scream Factory blu.
Looks great, for a low budget 80's slasher. Really enjoyed it and, along with Black Christmas and Halloween, the only slasher with re-watch value (for me). Acting is really good and natural, for the majority, and the raft/canoe kill scene is still pretty outrageous - in a good way. Some good extras too, the short interview with Leah Ayres was nice - I like hearing from actors who had a good time making horror films, and don't try to disown them.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Bela Lugosi is up to no good, having his brutish assistant murder people for their insurance money. Good fun. One of the films that Bela made here in England.

Like this? Share it using the links below!