Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Yeah, I'm going to watch it again (when I have time, so much to get through right now). I was fascinated by the swimming pool scene (the whispers, the rocks) in particular and the ending, as you say, was actually quite moving as it was indeed as if the characters had reached their whole. It's an abstract film and I think we're encouraged to piece together fragments to make our own (conscious) whole - as if being at one with the characters.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm really enjoying watching old TV-horror at the moment. Making my way through the 1977 BBC series SUPERNATURAL currently and its very atmospheric and gothic to a tee. Sure, its a bit theatrical / stagey in places and gets bogged down with a lot of dialogue but some of the performances, especially Jeremy Brett in the "Mr. Nightingale" episode, are superb and the stories are quite unique. Some of it puts Hammer to shame and, like the BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas, its a great lesson in how to make effective horror without the gore.. not that I have anything against blood 'n guts mind

Its a shame the series never got the viewers it deserved on its original run and was subsequently scrapped and never shown on TV again! Thankfully the BFI released it on DVD for Halloween last year. I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys gothic horror, atmospheric sets and slow burning stories of madness, murder, lycanthropy and the like.

EDIT: Just to chime in on THE NIGHT OF THE DEVILS discussion, I'm a big fan of the film. I found it both more entertaining and sinister than Bava's take on the same story (in Black Sabbath). To me, it had that unique 70-s Euro-horror atmosphere but with less cheese than usual + stylish and competent/tight direction. I've watched the Raro BD quite a few times since buying it and it still seems to entertain me.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 23rd January 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1948:
Hamlet - 'Alas poor Yorick...'Two and a half hours of Larry Olivier spouting Shakespeare!
The Fallen Idol - Starts off a little slow but isnt a bad british movie.
The Bicycle Thieves - After 'Rome Open City' I wasn't too sure I liked the Italian Neo Realism genre but this one I quite enjoyed.
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - The Universal monsters that terrified the audiences of the early 30's are now reduced to the comic foils of Abbott & Costello.
Tarzan and the Mermaids - Weismuller's last outing as the Jungle Lord, in yet another generic adventure.
Superman - 'This looks like a job for SUPERMAN' The first live action Superman! Its somewhat wooden and laughable but fun!
Scott of the Antarctic - Great adventure film from Ealing
Rope - This just did not do it for me, although I found Jimmy Stewarts character interesting.
Red River - This just plain bored me, it started out alright but after the initial 'injun' attack I struggled through it!
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
From 1948:
Hamlet - 'Alas poor Yorick...'Two and a half hours of Larry Olivier spouting Shakespeare!
The Fallen Idol - Starts off a little slow but isnt a bad british movie.
The Bicycle Thieves - After 'Rome Open City' I wasn't too sure I liked the Italian Neo Realism genre but this one I quite enjoyed.
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - The Universal monsters that terrified the audiences of the early 30's are now reduced to the comic foils of Abbott & Costello.
Tarzan and the Mermaids - Weismuller's last outing as the Jungle Lord, in yet another generic adventure.
Superman - 'This looks like a job for SUPERMAN' The first live action Superman! Its somewhat wooden and laughable but fun!
Scott of the Antarctic - Great adventure film from Ealing
Rope - This just did not do it for me, although I found Jimmy Stewarts character interesting.
Red River - This just plain bored me, it started out alright but after the initial 'injun' attack I struggled through it!
I usually love a good ol' western but I'm with you, RED RIVER bored me so much I just about made it to the end and promptly sold the Eureka BD

But I disagree about ROPE, for me that is a Hitchcock masterpiece. One of his very best.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 23rd January 2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Galaxy of terror.

Have fond memory's of renting this on VHS and watching it with my mother who loved horrors films, so interesting to see if after all these years I would still like it, and the answers is yes.

Ok it's corny and silly in places and a poor mans alien, but it's also fun and very different than alien and very atmospheric/creepy in places also has a lot more gore than alien and even some nudity, not many films where a giant maggot has sex with a woman. Will also have a likable cast which include a young Robert englund, Sid Haig and the guy who played my favourite Martian. So all in all very enjoyable and brings back warm memories of when life was more simple watching theses type of movies on a Saturday night with mother. 9/10

Next up perhaps one of greatest horrors but definitely the greatest haunted house movie, the original version of the haunting

Last edited by trebor8273; 23rd January 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 24th January 2014, 08:48 AM
Active Cultist

Sat and watched The Seasoning House last night wasnt expecting much but ended up quite enjoying it, will watch it again paying more attention i think, well worth checking out.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
I usually love a good ol' western but I'm with you, RED RIVER bored me so much I just about made it to the end and promptly sold the Eureka BD

But I disagree about ROPE, for me that is a Hitchcock masterpiece. One of his very best.
Same here. I love John Ford, John Wayne and a Westerns, but didn't enjoy Red River very much. Or The Searchers!

Hitchcock's Toke is Excellent in my opinion
Old 24th January 2014, 10:09 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Hitchcock's Toke is Excellent in my opinion
Is that the film he made with Cheech and Chong?
Old 24th January 2014, 10:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Is that the film he made with Cheech and Chong?
damn! That was meant to say R-O-P-E.
Old 24th January 2014, 01:11 PM
Cult Addict

I really like Rope too.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!