Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179587Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2014, 07:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Sunday began with Hanzel and Gretel Witch Hunters which I kind of enjoyed. This was followed by The Pact which started pretty but was let dow by a weak ending. Finally a capped of the weekends viewing with Arrows Hellgate. Not as bad as some on these boards have commented but still a long way from good.
Old 26th January 2014, 08:17 PM
Cultist

As I said in the other post I have just watched Formula For A Murder, pretty sure people wont be disappointed.As for the picture and sound quality it is nothing short of stunning,could almost be watching it on blu ray.
Old 26th January 2014, 09:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Those who are wanting to see Big Bad Wolves, use a VPN based in the US to get on Amazon US and rent it from amazon.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 27th January 2014, 01:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Man Made Monster. (1941)

Lon Chaney Jr plays a circus performer who, after a bus crash, can soak up electricity. Unfortunately he ends up in the care of loony scientist Lionel Atwill and becomes the subject of his experiments.

Man Made Monster was Chaney's first Universal monster and he's excellent as the misunderstood circus performer. His performance up until the final reel is of a character the viewer feels great sympathy for, until he finally goes on a rampage of destruction. The film boasts brilliant effects from maestro Jack Pierce. Chaney looks fantastic when consumed by electricity.

I'd never seen this previously and was really impressed by it. With a short running time of an hour, barely a shot is wasted and the second half of proceedings is really gripping. A highly recommended Universal B picture, Man Made Monster is a little seen delight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4fe2641831e79_249660b.jpg (99.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 27th January 2014, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

One I've never seen, Dem.

It sounds really good too.
Old 27th January 2014, 03:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showed mate Wrong Cops and Room 237. Liked both.

Rewatched Crank: High Voltage.
Have also borrowed The Transporter (and 2nd one) from mate, as I see the first has a comm by The Stath, will probably get my own sharpish.

Also rewatched Revolver. Now, there's a film that insists upon itself hahahaha.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th January 2014, 03:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Big Wars aka Daisenki (1993)

Hard to believe this is from 1993 as it has all the wonderful elements that come with late 70's/early 80's scifi,even bordering on psychedelia at times.

Fans of old school "Heavy Metal type scifi" will love this imho.

I watched it in Japanese with subs,something which adds to the experience I think.

Last edited by bdc; 27th January 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cherry 2000

A likeable bit of 80s cheese, with Melanie Griffith as a bounty hunter/ tracker hired by a man to find a replacement for his sex bot. Which malfunctions after bonking it one too many times. The only place that has this model bot is in a wasteland which is controlled by Tim thomerson and his cronies. As well as Thomerson we have other genre stars such as brion James and Robert z'Dar. 8/10

Time stalkers

Was a nice surprise to find this on netflix and be able to watch it once again. Another wonderful piece of 80s cheese. A few years after William devane wife and child are killed in a car accident. He goes to a old west memorabilia sale along with his friend john ratzenburger(cliff from cheers/ hamm from toy story). While sorting through some stuff he bought he finds a photograph a of a gunslinger ( klaus kinski) wearing a 357 magnum. Not long after this Lauren Hutton appears and seeks the professor help( devane is a history professor) to find kinski. 9/10

Xtro

First time viewing, very gory and also very unnerving and surreal in places, we have a fully growing man crawling out of a woman, a full size action man killing a old woman , a creepy midget clown and aliens. Lots of nudity and gore so not hard to see why it was a video nasty, but I really can't understand why it's only rated a 15. 9/10

Also continuing watch the xfiles up to season two episode the colony .

Last edited by trebor8273; 27th January 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:27 PM
Cult Addict

"The Haunting of Molly Hartley". Okay, I confess that I only watched this as I have a semi hard on for Haley Bennett at the moment (sorry Gemma). It's crap and feels like a 70s TV horror film with the occasional swear word. However as regular Cult Labbers may know, I have a thing for crying women and Haley cries a lot in this film which gives me an excuse for re posting this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2766-156628.jpg (96.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 27th January 2014, 11:46 PM
Cult Addict

12 years a slave.

I approached this fearing oscar bait, gave it the benefit of the doubt on the basis of SHAME which I really rated. Glad to say it's possibly one of the best films about slavery that I've seen. Certainly better than Amistad and even Herzog's Cobra verde.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is excellent as the lead who is kidnapped and taken south to be sold as a slave. The film is full of excellent supporting cast as well all giving 100% in their roles. Honorable mention especially to Steve Mcqueen regular Michael Fassbender as a psychotic and scary slave owner.

The film really does not flinch in its depictions of slavery while avoiding becoming tittilating like goodbye uncle tom. Extra kudos to Hans Zimmer for a great score.

Really hopes this gets a few oscars. (I also want Vinterbergs THE HUNT to win the foreign language oscar)

Like this? Share it using the links below!