All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2014, 03:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Goddammit! Wish I could afford them.
Mate, if it wasn't for a friend helping me out with these I would really have struggled with the price they were asking.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th February 2014, 05:15 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Demons (Synapse) , stunning. It doesn't get much better than this.
I really wanted these to be crap because i cant afford them now i will have to get them.
Old 6th February 2014, 05:59 PM
Cult Addict

THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER. Pretty good comedy martial arts film, by that I mean, I didn't cringe too much at the humour. Some great set pieces and a fiery final fight. Some fireworks blow up.
Old 6th February 2014, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'Rewind This!' - doco about the rise and fall of VHS, told via directors, distributors, cover artists and collectors.
I loved this, but I'm probably the perfect age for it - I was born in '72, so can remember our first VHS player/recorder and the impact it had.
Told from the US point of view, with a couple of trips to Japan, I would have liked a bit of UK action, but you soon realise it's a universal experience.
Lots of extras, including a cool piece about Laserdisc, a format that I bypassed. (Unfortunately)
The feeling of nostalgia was full on, as I remembered weekly trips to the rental shop with my dad.
And, there is some truly awful direct-to-video stuff on show. So bad, it's terrible!
Old 6th February 2014, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I am thinking back, I think the very first film I rented on VHS was Rollerball..................but then again I might be wrong.
Linbro likes this.
Old 6th February 2014, 07:17 PM
Cult Addict

Mine were the uncut Evil dead and Mad max 2 from some dodgy bloke who'd let kids rent em from his car boot,i was about 10.
Also remember one of the earliest video's i saw was House on the edge of the park uncut at my aunts.
keirarts, Linbro and tele1962 like this.
Old 6th February 2014, 07:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Mate, if it wasn't for a friend helping me out with these I would really have struggled with the price they were asking.
That is a true friend indeed then!

Just watched....

Legend of the witches.

Bit of an obscure find this. £1.99 in a British heart charity shop. A black and white 'documentary' on witchcraft made in Britain in the 60's, seemingly as an excuse to show lots of naked people dancing round fires. That said the B&W photography is actually excellent and the film is very well put together. Not sure if I actually learned anything from the film but glad I watched it!
Old 6th February 2014, 07:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Rewind This!' - doco about the rise and fall of VHS, told via directors, distributors, cover artists and collectors.
I loved this, but I'm probably the perfect age for it - I was born in '72, so can remember our first VHS player/recorder and the impact it had.
Told from the US point of view, with a couple of trips to Japan, I would have liked a bit of UK action, but you soon realise it's a universal experience.
Lots of extras, including a cool piece about Laserdisc, a format that I bypassed. (Unfortunately)
The feeling of nostalgia was full on, as I remembered weekly trips to the rental shop with my dad.
And, there is some truly awful direct-to-video stuff on show. So bad, it's terrible!
Ah the halcyon days of VHS.

My main memory's were rooting through filthy cardboard boxes at car boots and scouring every cash converters across the country (I did a lot of travelling with my folks late eighties-nineties as a kid) and finding all sorts of gems. Cash converters Bedford had Verhovens 4th man! The old embassy pre-cert release! Others in Cambridge and london netted me titles like devonsville terror and scaremaker (aka girls night out)

Finding obscure titles was actually a real challenge and part of the fun.
Old 6th February 2014, 09:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Legend of the witches.

Bit of an obscure find this. £1.99 in a British heart charity shop. A black and white 'documentary' on witchcraft made in Britain in the 60's, seemingly as an excuse to show lots of naked people dancing round fires. That said the B&W photography is actually excellent and the film is very well put together. Not sure if I actually learned anything from the film but glad I watched it!
That's a fine purchase Keirarts. I didn't know you were so up on the occult to have not learned anything.

I've seen it a few times now. The voice over is quite hypnotic don't you think?
Old 6th February 2014, 10:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's a fine purchase Keirarts. I didn't know you were so up on the occult to have not learned anything.

I've seen it a few times now. The voice over is quite hypnotic don't you think?
Yeah. The whole thing was quite hypnotic. In saying I didn't learn anything I was more wondering how much was staged, how much was made up and certainly how much was more the new age occult stuff rather than a study of witchcraft through the ages. For starters that most witches were just harmless women using folk medicine passed down to help people rather than having anything to do with the occult.

Still an interesting watch nontheless.

Like this? Share it using the links below!