Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2014, 05:05 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

As I've not been here for awhile, I've watched a lot of films since last time I posted. The list would be way too long though so I will say last night I went to a good friend's film club in London where he showed a Shaw Brothers double feature of Bamboo House Of Dolls and Oily Maniac which for me were wildly entertaining. Shame the DVD's my friend used are now very much out of print.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 22nd February 2014, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hills have eyes 2 original , ok it isn't particular a good film and nowhere near as good as the original I don't think its as bad as some people make out , but either way worth a watch even if its only once .
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd February 2014, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I might give the DVD another spin at some point to see if it's as crap as I remember, but it's not high up on the list at the minute, I've bought that much stuff over the last few weeks that my to watch pile is backed up until the Summer!

Watched An American Werewolf in London last night that my girlfriend had Sky plussed the other week on TCM.
No further comments needed about this classic film, but the print TCM used was shockingly bad, by the end of it she was fed up with me complaining about how shite it looked

And I'm pretty sure it was trimmed slightly too, will need to pop in the DVD to check
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Rik; 22nd February 2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 22nd February 2014, 06:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Bigfoot Tapes (2012)

Oh dear! Anyone looking for a bigfoot movie move right along now. There's nothing for you to see here in this festival of ass-raping redneck shaky cam shoddiness.

The film makers treat the audience as imbeciles by mentioning the possibility of drug dens in the woods more times than you can imagine thus killing off any likelihood of a twist ending. In fact the only people who don't seem to be able to predict how this deeply flawed affair will end are the three amateur documentary makers themselves.

One scene aside, which genuinely is quite chilling with the sound of stones cracking together around your 5:1 set up creating a lovely creepy atmosphere, the only edge The Bigfoot Tapes had me on was the edge of slumber. Great swathes of the movie involve trekking through woods with our intrepid camera crew moaning about the heat, bugs, getting lost, you know the score by now. No thought is given to any of the characters and other ideas such as demonic cults are forgotten as quickly as they are thought up.

It's only in the last five minutes does anything happen. Unfortunately by then two of the team had been buggered to death off camera and the other had dropped the digi cam as the same hijinks were happening to him. It really is insulting racially stereotypical trash of the lowest level.

The filmic equivalent of being sick down your nose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (99.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:36 PM
Active Cultist

Just watched The Tortured, I would give it maybe 6.5 out of 10. I won't give away any plot details apart from the fact its about a couple who set about torturing the man who murdered their son. Not many jumpy scares but some good torture with varying degrees of are we doing the right thing my main critism is that it needs an extra 5 mins at the end to finish the moral of the story.
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

Nightmare City.

Shooting a zombie film? The script is an illogical and poorly constructed mess?

Don't worry! Just watch this film to learn how to make a film work simply by having stuff happen constantly without giving the audience pause to think "this makes no f*****g sense whatsoever!"

Lenzi's film is many ways is a poverty row mess. The radioactive zombies all look silly and non of the film makes any sense but it's such a fun little movie I hardly care. Watched the Raro blu-ray today. Honestly the PQ isnt as bad as some have made out. I'll be interested to see what Arrow do with it.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1950:
The Blue Lamp - I have to say a great little movie that's fascinating if only for the scenes of how London used to be after the war!
All About Eve - Good movie for a Sunday morning
La Ronde - Pleasant enough
Les Enfants Terribles - OK this somewhat bored me!
The Damned Don't Cry - Wasn't bad, one of the better Joan Crawford movies I've seen
Atom Man Vs Superman - Kirk Alyn returns to the role this time battling Lex Luthor.
The Wooden Horse - Another great british movie.
Tarzan and the Slave Girl - Another Lex Barker jungle pic! Although a little more violent than most.
Rashomon - Wasn't a bad movie! I'd watch more Kurosawa.
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:37 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Nightmare City.

Shooting a zombie film? The script is an illogical and poorly constructed mess?

Don't worry! Just watch this film to learn how to make a film work simply by having stuff happen constantly without giving the audience pause to think "this makes no f*****g sense whatsoever!"

Lenzi's film is many ways is a poverty row mess. The radioactive zombies all look silly and non of the film makes any sense but it's such a fun little movie I hardly care. Watched the Raro blu-ray today. Honestly the PQ isnt as bad as some have made out. I'll be interested to see what Arrow do with it.
It's been awhile since I last saw this, but I pretty much thought exactly the same as you when I was watching it. It was interesting to listen to Umberto Lenzi talk about the film and how the idea came from (I think) a chemical leak from a major plant in Italy and wondering what the effects could be on humans.

The Q&A session will be on the Arrow Video release, and it should be compulsory viewing – I saw it in person and will definitely watch the recording at least once.
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's been awhile since I last saw this, but I pretty much thought exactly the same as you when I was watching it. It was interesting to listen to Umberto Lenzi talk about the film and how the idea came from (I think) a chemical leak from a major plant in Italy and wondering what the effects could be on humans.

The Q&A session will be on the Arrow Video release, and it should be compulsory viewing – I saw it in person and will definitely watch the recording at least once.
Liked the Q&A as well. Thought Lenzi was a witty guy and interesting to listen to. Really interested to see the PQ on the Arrow release.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

In the past week I managed the following:

Knightriders Perhapsmy favourite Romero film and one I could rematch endlessly.

Drug Wars For me this is a bit like Heat. A very slow buildup followed by an extraordinary climax. But neither the climax nor the build up are in the same league as Mann's film. Still worth seeing though.

Heat Drug wars inspired me to watch this modern classic. Sublime.

Some classic horror as I continued my quest to rewatch my Arrow collection:

Cat of Nine Tails
City of the Living Dead
Tenebrae

Darjeeling Limited Brilliant sound track on this super little film from Wes Anderson.

Antisocial Commented on this somewhere above.

Prince of Darkness Picked this up on German blu-ray. I must becoming more forgiving as I age as this wasn't the train wreck I remembered.

And finally an evening in town saw me take in Monument's Men, George Clooney's most recent outing in the directors chair. Lots of references to classic war films (most noticeably The Dirty Dozen and Kelly's heroes) but unlike Tarantino, Clooney doesn't quite manage to make it all gel and what could have been fantastic turns into nothing more than a solid war drama. A good effort, but more attention to script and editing required. Still you have to admire Clooney for trying to get past the normal Hollywood dross in the scripts he chooses to make.

Last edited by SShaw; 23rd February 2014 at 02:30 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!