Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MURDER IN A BLUE WORLD. Lolita grows up and fails to get another job with Stanley so ends up as a serial killer nurse in post "Clockwork Orange" Spain where the Fenn Street Gang roam the streets in gay fetish outfits. Highly recommended.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:47 AM
Cult Addict

nightofhunted.jpg grapes.jpg

crystallake.jpg

Night of the Hunted.

A bloke driving down a lonely road nearly runs down a beautiful woman (Bridgette Lahie) concerned he takes her home, discovering she is an amnesiac who cannot form new memories. Eventually they have sex (because screwing some chick with amnesia is always a great idea) and discover the emotional attachment seems to help her remember. The bloke heads off to work and the amnesiac is soon apprehended by some sinister doctors and taken 'home' to the Black tower. It's a place where amnesiacs wander the halls aimlessly unsupervised and understandably pretty dangerous.

This is an unusual film for Rollin as it feels more like a sci-fi picture. It has overtones of J.G Ballard's high rise and uses its narrative to explore the importance of memories. I really found myself enjoying this one but it's only really recommended for Rollin fans.

Grapes of Death.

Rollins most accessible work, Grapes is his Zombie film, as a young woman off to meet her fiance is attacked on a train by a demented and disfigured man who has killed her friend. She pulls the emergency cord and legs it through the mist into the French countryside. As she makes her way to the vinyard where her fiance works she encounters more and more of the infected in a strange, sinister and dream like film that while more commercially minded than his previous works is still unmistakably a Jean Rollin film. Bridgette Lahie has a nice cameo in the film as a seemingly uninfected woman surviving in an infected village and the villagers zombie attack on the young woman counts as one of the most frightening sequences in any Jean Rollin film.

Crystal lake memories.

Book yourself a spare five hours for this little baby. THE last word on the Friday the 13th series it even includes discussions on the TV series! It made me appreciate the deeply flawed remake more than I had done. My main problem with the remake had been the appalling structure and pacing to the film which made it veer back and fourth from boring as hell to interesting and back. when you hear about the production problems these major flaws become more understandable.
Old 24th February 2014, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Field In England (2013, Ben Wheatley)

I liked it. Definitely a rewatch, but I was in the mood for something else after my recent diet of The Stath and.........

Treasure Island (1972, John Hough) Which I caught several times on Film 4. Odd film, awful print (or is it meant to look like that?), Welles dubbed (??). Kept waiting for Howard Vernon to turn up etc......

The Lone Ranger (2013, Gore Verbinski) 1st film of the director's I've liked since Mousehunt. Best performance from Depp in years imho, can see why it failed as it isn't exactly a "gung ho" film cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th February 2014, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict

Last night I finally got round to watching Demons. Loved it, a new favourite, a classic chunk of 80s parmesan!
One question, being a film I'm not really familiar with. Given Arrows transfer looks and sounds amazing what's so special about the Synapse releases I keep reading about?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 24th February 2014, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
One question, being a film I'm not really familiar with. Given Arrows transfer looks and sounds amazing what's so special about the Synapse releases I keep reading about?
Did you not notice the black level was wrong? I had to set my PS3 to RGB: Full to make it look right.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict

JACK BROOKS MONSTER SLAYER. Hugely enjoyable monster flick with a good sense of humour and entertaining performances. There are also three tracks by The Deadly Snakes with the mighty Greg Cartwright on the soundtrack. Recommended.

THE SQUAD. Blair Witch with soldiers and no real pay off.

CHERRY 2000. 80s made look at relationships and sex via a post apocalypse western wasteland and sex robots. This could have been great had not the direction been a bit slow and flat in places. That said, it's an enjoyable actioner with a female lead in Melanie Griffith who is more cute than tough.

ZOMBIES:WICKED LITTLE THINGS. This starts out brilliantly in full on creepy backwoods manner with hints at folklore and rural hexcraft. Sadly these things are never fully realised as the film descends in to standard zombie siege material. Also the child zombies, rather than looking spooky, look more like street urchin extras from a BBC Dickens production.
Old 24th February 2014, 09:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

FILTH-Superb.

ALICE SWEET ALICE-Still one of the best slasher flicks ever.

SERPICO-One of Pacino's finest performances.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th February 2014, 10:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
Did you not notice the black level was wrong? I had to set my PS3 to RGB: Full to make it look right.
Seemed a little bright maybe so i turned the brightness down on my tv a notch. Looked great to me. Is that it?
Old 24th February 2014, 11:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
JACK BROOKS MONSTER SLAYER. Hugely enjoyable monster flick with a good sense of humour and entertaining performances. There are also three tracks by The Deadly Snakes with the mighty Greg Cartwright on the soundtrack. Recommended.
Didn't you think there was a distinct lack of actual monster slaying going on?
Old 24th February 2014, 11:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Didn't you think there was a distinct lack of actual monster slaying going on?
Yeah, but that was one of the better things about it. I really enjoyed all the scenes in the counselling sessions and the ones with his horrid girlfriend.

Like this? Share it using the links below!