Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2014, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Yeah, but that was one of the better things about it. I really enjoyed all the scenes in the counselling sessions and the ones with his horrid girlfriend.
You see, if they'd called it Jack Brooks - The Counselling Sessions then i may have enjoyed it more.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:00 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Last night I finally got round to watching Demons. Loved it, a new favourite, a classic chunk of 80s parmesan!
One question, being a film I'm not really familiar with. Given Arrows transfer looks and sounds amazing what's so special about the Synapse releases I keep reading about?
The Arrow release looks fine enough. The blacks are too dark perhaps and the color levels are a little muted. The main gripe is the english audio which on the Arrow release is not the one home video fans who caught the film first time around are used too. The synapse transfer corrects all this.

My opinion on the synapse release still stands. Its a better release and worth the upgrade for harcore fans of Demons but for the casual fan I really would not bother as even cheap each steely is costing £35.50 (including postage) through Diabolik. I've even spoke to collectors that have paid up to £48 for it off ebay scalpers. At these nutty prices I would advise casual viewers to pick up Arrows release over Synapses. If Synapse put them out in standard versions at a later release then definitely upgrade.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:10 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Or wait until Synapse releases the films as amaray versions and buy them for a tenner each from Amazon marketplace.
Nemesis and keirarts like this.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:12 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Or wait until Synapse releases the films as amaray versions and buy them for a tenner each from Amazon marketplace.
Which was the point I was trying to make...
Old 25th February 2014, 01:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The Arrow release looks fine enough. The blacks are too dark perhaps
It's the complete opposite, there is no black at all on the Arrow.
Old 25th February 2014, 07:57 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
It's the complete opposite, there is no black at all on the Arrow.
teach me to re-read what I type. lol

There is 'crushed blacks' which are slightly grey and lose shadow detail.

Again though I re-iterate. Unless your a major fan of the Demons films don't bother with the Synapse releases until they put them out in an affordable standard editions. For the casual viewer the problems are not big enough to warrant jettisoning the Arrow release and forking out £71 to Diabolik for.

Their great releases for sure and i'm glad I bought them. I just think someone out there needs to at least throw up this word of caution.
Old 25th February 2014, 08:44 AM
Active Cultist

Watched The Clinic last night, wasnt a bad film, story was a bit far fetched and could of done with a bit more gore, scares and horror but worth a watch, 5.5/10
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th February 2014, 08:59 AM
Cult Addict

Frost.

A couple of researchers discover the team of researchers investigating a glacier has disappeared. cue spooky goings on and strange lights in this Icelandic found footage film. This one did nothing for me whatsoever. It was ok in places but it never seemed to want to reveal anything to the point it ceased being scary and was just annoying. Worse still I found myself looking at my watch at a 79 minute film.

The sinful nuns of St Valentine.

Far to classy for my tastes. This was actually competently shot and light on sleaze. It's a great film in many ways but I demand more depravity with my nunspolitation. Paulo Malco hides out in a nunnery where his girlfriend is one of the nuns. We get a bit of lesbianism, a flogging and Malco nails the mother superior in a bid to rescue his girl.

Gangster Squad.

Not as smartly written or structured as LA confidential and lacks the visual flair of Untouchables, Gangster squad seems keen to be a fusion of the two films and ends up being as good as neither. It's not a total write off, the cast are great, and there are some fun shoot outs. I picked this up on Blu from Cash gen at the weekend for £2.99. About the right price imo.
Old 25th February 2014, 09:59 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The Arrow release looks fine enough. The blacks are too dark perhaps and the color levels are a little muted. The main gripe is the english audio which on the Arrow release is not the one home video fans who caught the film first time around are used too. The synapse transfer corrects all this.

My opinion on the synapse release still stands. Its a better release and worth the upgrade for harcore fans of Demons but for the casual fan I really would not bother as even cheap each steely is costing £35.50 (including postage) through Diabolik. I've even spoke to collectors that have paid up to £48 for it off ebay scalpers. At these nutty prices I would advise casual viewers to pick up Arrows release over Synapses. If Synapse put them out in standard versions at a later release then definitely upgrade.
Personally I'm perfectly happy with the picture quality on the Arrow disc but what's the difference in the English audio track? I have read that a few lines here and there are different, or is there more to it?
Old 25th February 2014, 11:01 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Personally I'm perfectly happy with the picture quality on the Arrow disc but what's the difference in the English audio track? I have read that a few lines here and there are different, or is there more to it?
Different dialogue, audio queues and music come in at totally different places.

You make my point for me perfectly. Had Synapse released this at a lower price point and made it easier for UK fans to import I would have urged you to pick up the synapse releases immediately. They are fantastic releases. But at the sort of money its costing (and bare in mind Diabolik were very cheap at £35.50 with postage) the cost doesn't warrant the upgrade unless your a mega fan or American.

For me Demons (along with stagefright) represented one of my earliest experiences of Italian horror, I must have watched it countless times as my original VHS of it pretty much disintegrated. So for me it was worth the outlay as the synapse version is how I remember it being (abeit amazing picture quality) but for people with less attachment to the film I would say wait and see if synapse release cheaper standard editions.

Like this? Share it using the links below!