Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
It's on Netflix, if you have it.
No. Physical copies all the way for me.
Old 28th February 2014, 04:35 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED. Rather fine comedy about loss, bereavement, being alive and building a time machine! I really enjoyed this, the humour is warm and the whole film feel has an uplifting quality that isn't forced or intrusive to the plot or characterisation. Recommended.
Great film watched it 2 or 3 years ago, and you described it perfectly
Old 28th February 2014, 09:22 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

EXTINCTION. Big disappointment this one. The write up on Netflix spoke of animals, plants and humans cross mutating and attacking people. I was expecting "Day of the Triffids" meets Carpenter's "The Thing". Nope, no such luck...zombies with shit moss effects on their faces.
Old 1st March 2014, 01:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Original double bill....

Old 1st March 2014, 02:56 PM
Cult Addict

SEVEN BLOOD STAINED ORCHIDS. Blood, boobs, hats, black gloves, fashion, art. I'm not a giallo fan, preferring the stripped down sleekness of their step son/sister, the slasher film. However this seemed to tick every box in my limited knowledge of the genre and managed not to bore me too much. I especially liked the scene with the cats laying on the floor after they had been drugged and couldn't figure out how it was done...the I remembered who the director was and presumed the cats had been either glued or nailed to the floor.

SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS. I liked this one, nothing happens, everything is incredibly slow or static. Whole scenes just come across as odd, by fault or design, I have no idea either way, I enjoyed it...the ending is fantastic and gives me hope of a full and exciting sex life as I enter my twilight years.
Old 1st March 2014, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict

HOLLOW. British found footage film that is like all the others you have seen since BWP except the last 20 minutes are set in a car!
Old 1st March 2014, 07:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
HOLLOW. British found footage film that is like all the others you have seen since BWP except the last 20 minutes are set in a car!
I didn't dislike Hollow.

Once they saw the picture in the book it was obvious how it would end but i was intrigued to find out how they'd get there. I must admit i didn't see it coming that they'd park under the bloody tree for half an hour.

The most annoying aspect was that girl and her sodding inhaler. For someone who can barely walk five steps without it she was damned careless.
Old 2nd March 2014, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Witchcraft (1988)

A required staple of video shops in the late eighties, Witchcraft always pleaded with discerning horror fans to come and rent it. It's cover art is horror heaven - a pentagram and a half naked girl sprawled over an altar of sacrifice. It just had to be a great watch... didn't it?

Sadly no! I could never call this updating / rip off of Rosemary's Baby a great watch. For a film that somehow spawned at least ten sequels it really isn't that good. The effects are dated and it has a distinct eighties tv movie feel to it that is however lessened by the infrequent but enjoyably bloody gore effects. The acting like the dialogue is stilted and contrived and fails to convince.

Having said all that i was never bored by Witchcraft, possibly because much of it features the essentials of Gothic horror - the old dark house, the creepy butler, the lone girl wandering lightning lit corridors in her negligee, the creepy matriarch, not to mention the compulsory coven scenes, so i still found it entertaining in a cheesy way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51T2325CM8L.jpg (42.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 2nd March 2014, 04:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A very solid line-up at Glasgow Frightfest included

Afflicted
Savaged
Proxy
Wolf Creek 2
Sacrament
Video Nasties: Draconian Days
Scribbler
Torment
Mindscape
Almost Human
Killers

Only one stinker, the risible Scribbler while both Wolf Creek 2 and Video Nasties: Draconian Days played very well with the audience. I will provide a more detailed review of the festival over on my Diary thread in the coming days.
Old 2nd March 2014, 05:43 PM
Cult Addict

THE DEVIL'S ROCK. Yet more WWII Nazi occult goings on but this time the film is really good. This shows what can be done with a small cast, 7 people in total with 4 of them hardly having any screen time, a good script and imagination. Excellent stuff. Highly recommended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!