Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE DEVIL'S ROCK. Yet more WWII Nazi occult goings on but this time the film is really good. This shows what can be done with a small cast, 7 people in total with 4 of them hardly having any screen time, a good script and imagination. Excellent stuff. Highly recommended.
Agreed.
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE DEVIL'S ROCK. Yet more WWII Nazi occult goings on but this time the film is really good. This shows what can be done with a small cast, 7 people in total with 4 of them hardly having any screen time, a good script and imagination. Excellent stuff. Highly recommended.
I also thought it was good – here's my review of the DVD if you're interested.
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
A very solid line-up at Glasgow Frightfest included

Afflicted
Savaged
Proxy
Wolf Creek 2
Sacrament
Video Nasties: Draconian Days
Scribbler
Torment
Mindscape
Almost Human
Killers

Only one stinker, the risible Scribbler while both Wolf Creek 2 and Video Nasties: Draconian Days played very well with the audience. I will provide a more detailed review of the festival over on my Diary thread in the coming days.
Would have to agree that The Scribbler was the weakest movie of the festival and i thought that the movies at this years Glasgow Frightfest were really good and i especially enjoyed Wolf Creek 2, Killers, Almost Human and Proxy.
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Watermen (2012)

A clan of watermen (fishermen) abduct a group of unwary travellers from their luxury yacht and take them back to their island to chop them up and sell them as bait. An intense fight for survival ensues as our intrepid young heroes try to escape with their lives.

The Watermen has everything thrown into the mix in this modern outdoor survival horror. A lot of violence,- Breast implants removed with dirty knives, arms sliced open and pitch forks through legs are just a few of the juicy highlights, as well as the usual gruesome imagery, rape, and a director who seems determined for his leading ladies to flash their boobs at every opportunity.

The film has plenty of minus points. The opening scenes are practically amateur hour with the three lead actresses seemingly reading their lines from cue cards, and the early scenes with the three guys had me almost switching off as Jason Mewes shoved his ball sack into the camera. Fortunately things soon settled down, Mewes stopped the shite impersonation of his popular Jay role from his time working with Kevin Smith and we actually had a bit of characterization. There were also a few plot holes big enough for a trawler to sail through but i can forgive those. The watermen themselves appeared almost inhuman, their voices echoing like ambient sound rather than audible dialogue which was odd to say the least.

Admittedly i'm a fan of survival horror, and on the whole i liked this film. What set it apart for me was the setting. It's very rare for a low budget horror film to be set out at sea making the first fifty minutes quite memorable, so its only the final third that comes onto shore, albeit an island, and the film becomes generic hack n' slash in the vein of Storm Warning. The location photography was very good, at times beautiful, at other times quite foreboding.

I may well be on my own in liking this film. indeed it has an air bordering on misogyny that may put some off, but if you enjoy survival horror then it may be worth ninety minutes of your time.
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I remember catching some of The Watermen on the Horror Channel while drunk and being put off by the leeriness of some of the scenes.
Old 3rd March 2014, 08:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dolls - 1986

Another gem from the director of Re-Animator, Stuart Gordon. Nice Blu-ray transfer from 101 Films. Director commentary being the only extra. Great to see Mr. Gordon's movies receive the HD treatment. Re-Animator, From Beyond and now Dolls get the upgrade they truly deserve
keirarts and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 3rd March 2014, 08:52 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Dolls - 1986

Another gem from the director of Re-Animator, Stuart Gordon. Nice Blu-ray transfer from 101 Films. Director commentary being the only extra. Great to see Mr. Gordon's movies receive the HD treatment. Re-Animator, From Beyond and now Dolls get the upgrade they truly deserve
Agree! Fantastic release. Shame they could not secure the second commentary track or storyboard to film comparison that's on the R1 mgm DVD.
Old 3rd March 2014, 02:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Predator last night on C4. Still my favourite Arnie.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Phantom Of The Paradise ( Blu-ray )
What can I say? This is even better than I remembered it, given a terrific BD release from Arrow. Fab film, fab pq, fab packaging etc. Fab!

Dead Of Night ( Blu-ray )
Superb anthology horror getting the BD treatment.
This is obviously an improvement on previous releases ( as shown by the restoration feature ) but I wasn't blown away by it ( especially compared to the Universal horrors box set / Psycho and so on ). Also the sound is very hit and miss in places too. I hope I'm not being over - critical, but I don't think this is the best it could be.
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:24 PM
Cult Master

Silent_running.jpg

Silent Running

Earth has become barren of all vegitation. Ecologists sail through space in spacestations with greenhouse like pods full of plants trees and wildlife. When the government make the call to destroy all the pods one man makes the decision to save the plants and ignore the orders. After disposing of his fellow crew members Freeman Lowell sets on his journey with three droids the keep the one thing he loves alive.

The films looks great and the relationship between Freeman and the droids is quite moving from teaching them to play poker to the scene where one droid is destroyed and the last two find the remains of their friend.

I really enjoyed this film and the message is more relevent today than when the film was originally released.

Like this? Share it using the links below!