Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2014, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy765 View Post
Watched the grudge (again). Amazing movie
I noticed you mentioned 'Ring 2' somewhere as well, the other nosferatu asked if they were the originals, just saying if not you should really watch the originals.
I much prefer them myself.(even though the remake has the added bonus of Naomi Watts)
I find the original 'Grudge' much creepier than 'Ring' myself even though that ones more well known.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th March 2014, 10:59 PM
Cult Addict

Night of the living dead: Resurrection.

Given that NOTLD is completely public domain, it's very easy for anyone out to make a quick buck to co opt the title and stick out there cheap jack Zombie flick in the hopes of finding an audience.

Here we have the first Welsh NOTLD.

It starts with a group of happy slapping, obnoxious chavs which led me to fear the worst but pretty soon we're following a lone survivor (clearly meant to be ben from the b&w original) making his way across country looking for safety. So far so conventional. Then twenty minutes in it throws a totally unexpected twist into the mix. After that it seems to settle into people in house slowly turning on each other, as one might expect from a zero budget zombie film.

While this is pretty scuzzy and low rent I actually found I liked it. The film has a view on humanity that is somewhere beyond jaded and the whole thing has a nasty bitter taste to it that somehow works. It looks dreadful, the actings neither here nor there, but found cheap enough its actually worth a go.

Probably would not have recommended it if the film had not been so misanthropic though.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1951:
The Day the Earth Stood Still - Classic Sci Fi
Superman and the Mole Men - George Reeve's takes on the tights from Kirk Alyn. I laughed out loud when I saw the Mole Men!
Utopia - Laurel and Hardy's final film together, first time seeing this and I was a little shocked at how ill Stan Laurel looked! Still it had a few funny moments but it was a sad ending to one of cinemas greatest double acts!
Quo Vadis - 'Tigellinus pass me the weeping vase!' Ustinov's Nero was just superb.
The Thing From Another World - Sci Fi movie that takes the genre to a whole different level.
Tarzan's Peril - Barker's Tarzans are a little more 'harder' but still somewhat formulaic.
The Lavendar Hill Mob - What a classic, had me chuckling away
An American in Paris - Best Picture Winner at the Oscars but to be honest really didn't do anything for me, the last twenty minutes of musical extravaganza was just too long!
The African Queen - Not seen this this since I was a child and still I have to laugh at Bogart and the leeches!
Old 6th March 2014, 11:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Gone (2006)

A British couple hitch a ride with an American drifter in the Australian Outback.

Gone is one of those film's that you've probably seen ten times before under different titles. There's nothing original about it yet second time around it still gave me feelings of anxiety for the couple with a rising level of tension enveloping everything. As a study of psychotic behavior it keeps you captivated despite one or two minor niggles along the way.

The film stands or falls by the acting of the three leads as for the majority of the running time they are the only characters onscreen. Thankfully they handle things well which adds to the emotional strain for the characters and viewer alike, keeping the story running smoothly and giving us a fairly suspenseful road movie.

Director Ringan Ledwidge in only his third feature has a great eye for the camera and some of the photography is stunning, portraying the Outback as a deadly yet gorgeously beautiful locale.

Gone isn't going to change your life but it should make for an enjoyable ninety minutes entertainment and comes recommended for those who enjoy this genre of film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gone.jpg (55.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 7th March 2014, 10:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

watched angel heart: nicely done film with a fantastic performance from both Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro.
Also watched Mimic, a damn good movie.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

well off to the cinema tonight but looks like i will be forced to see the lego movie, not expecting much has anyone seen it?
Old 7th March 2014, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
well off to the cinema tonight but looks like i will be forced to see the lego movie, not expecting much has anyone seen it?
I took my kids to see it last week, it's absolutely brilliant
mr 420 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th March 2014, 12:49 PM
Cultist

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
I watched this last night. This was quite an experience! Great film, I really liked it. The English was a bit hard for me to follow sometimes because of the dialect but that was not a problem really.
Old 7th March 2014, 01:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
I watched this last night. This was quite an experience! Great film, I really liked it. The English was a bit hard for me to follow sometimes because of the dialect but that was not a problem really.
I was hard to follow for most of the English too!
Old 7th March 2014, 02:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I saw it last Monday and loved it. If I'm not doing anything one day next week, I might see it again. That said, I'm just back from the cinema after seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is absolutely brilliant and one of Wes Anderson's best films. I'm definitely going to see it again, and will go to the cinema next week for a second viewing. The only downside was the projection, which was zoomed in too far, so some of the captions and subtitles were a little difficult to read as they were half off the bottom of the screen.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!