All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179614Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2014, 05:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
^ This is on my 'To get' list.
Considering the elements they had to work with it is an exceptional restoration, obviously a labour of love for all of those concerned.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 11th March 2014, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It really is a fantastic release, one of my favourite purchases from the last 12 months
tele1962 and Dave Boy like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th March 2014, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Burnt offerings

Took a little time to get into this but was well worth sticking with it, a very chilling, atmospheric and well acted movie. A lot of good scenes including a flashback of a funeral with a very creepy hearse driver, a swimming pool and the frighting and unsettling ending. A classic. 9.5/10

Next up the resurrected another film I've not seen before.
Old 11th March 2014, 08:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Burnt Offerings is a great little film. You can see where Stephen King got some of his ideas for The Shining.
Old 11th March 2014, 09:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

The House By The Cemetery
Blue Underground Blu Ray

Wow !

......I mean, WOW! I have never seen the film look this good.
Demoncrat and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL - The word 'genius' was invented to sum up this bizarre camcorder oddity from 1984 which features an uptight christian being 'liberated' by a doll with demonic powers and a rapey attitude. Manages to offend on just about every level, from the consumer tech aesthetic to the image of a pious lady enjoying being violated by a jive talkin' mannequin... why cinema at large felt there was anywhere left to go after this one is beyond me. For all its taboo trashing glory, I prefer the director's follow up, 'Tales from the Quadead Zone', which is somehow even weirder. Both have been rescued from massively over-expensive VHS collector oblivion by Massacre Video.

WEASELS RIP MY FLESH - More no-fi shot-in-your-living room fun with a camera, this time in super-eight. 'Weasels Rip My Flesh' is an homage to Corman era sci-fi monster horror with HG Lewis gore trimmings. It really works when it looks like a Blue Peter montage of abstract universe creation, and works less when it turns into some late adolescents in a room pretending to be men with beards explaining a science fiction type scenario. But then, after the saggy exegesis bit it thankfully reverts to type with freaky monsters beating the shit out of each other and ripping people's arms off. Definitely worth having for its good points, as are all N Schiff's films. I wonder what happened to 'Vermillion Eyes', love to see that one.

JOHN DIES AT THE END - Multiverse reality slipstream stuff from 'Phantasm' guy. I've got to say I was a little disappointed by this after getting my hopes up - I don't know how, but I was expecting it to be even freakier! It is pretty freaky though, and kind of bludgeons its weirdness home to the point of being a bit boring. I stopped trying to follow it after a while and just let it all wash over me, and then had a slightly better time with it. Left me feeling similar to the way I did after I watched 'Detention' ie "I really want to feel bothered enough to watch that again and like it a bit more".

CABIN FEVER 2 - The disreputable sequel to the over-rated 'Cabin Fever'. I don't like 'Cabin Fever' at all, and in fact it's one of the few films I've actually physically thrown away after seeing once and throwing a shoe at my TV. 'Cabin Fever 2' seemed really different, and although I don't go for comedy horror usually, for some reason I liked it. It's a good mixture of 'gross out' teen high school comedy and repulsive gore - maybe it was the jarring combination which somehow made it work. Despite all the hi-jinks, it also has quite a nasty, misanthropic undertone. Well worth a peek for fellow 'Cabin Fever' detesters (I have a feeling I'm not the only one).

HELLRAISER 3 - Had that slightly too slick but somehow still clunky 'nineties' horror look and feel from the word go. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not. In the context of the Hellraiser stuff, probably its not such a good thing. But I ended up enjoying 'Hellraiser 3', which I hadn't seen before I put it on the other day. I think it's because the director just throws in a load of random and often quite slimy weirdness and gore. It's not very well co-ordinated, but it works well enough to be entertaining. Some aspects ie Pinhead's Krugerisms still really grate, but, in the end, even if it's not dead twisted and dark like the original was meant to be, it still manages to be fun when it gets going.
Old 12th March 2014, 01:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted ala CF2 Frank.

Watched Nightmares Come At Night. Did I say WTF enough times??

On the Franco front, I have Baha Blanca up next. No subs either, wish me well!!

Godzilla (or Gojira) (1954, Ishiro Hondo)
Not a frame is wasted with this. Made a good double bill with Them! btw.

Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey (2011, Constance Marks) Regardless whether he is a pederast ALLEGEDLY, this is quite a moving experience, unless he IS, then it borders on creepy ala Happiness...and I always hated Elmo. Such is life!!

CBGB (Randall Miller, 2013). A rather sanitized look at the New York landmark imo. I thought twas CBGB's ahem, oh well, "The Ramones" are fun, and Weasley as Cheetah Chrome (motherf*cker haha)!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th March 2014, 01:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey (2011, Constance Marks) Regardless whether he is a pederast ALLEGEDLY, this is quite a moving experience, unless he IS, then it borders on creepy ala Happiness...and I always hated Elmo. Such is life!!
When I saw this, I had no idea about any allegations about Kevin Clash – this was the first I'd heard about them – and thought Being Elmo was a really good documentary.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 12th March 2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12th March 2014, 01:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
When I saw this, I had no idea about any allegations about Kevin Cash – this was the first I'd heard about them – and thought Being Elmo was a really good documentary.
Indeed, mate who recommended it hadn't heard either. Admittedly after watching it, I feel that he may have been treated unfairly, as of course ANY man with an interest in kids nowadays is condemned as a nonce in a kneejerk fashion.

Except of course Jimmy Saville cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th March 2014, 01:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Indeed, mate who recommended it hadn't heard either. Admittedly after watching it, I feel that he may have been treated unfairly, as of course ANY man with an interest in kids nowadays is condemned as a nonce in a kneejerk fashion.
Clash comes across as a genuinely nice guy, strangely obsessed with making puppets, and a man who just wants to make people happy without any malicious thoughts. I just looked him up on Wikipedia and found he recently came out as gay following some unreported obligations.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 12th March 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!