Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2014, 05:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Mate where did you see this.
The Showroom Cinema in Sheffield, had a 1.5 hour train journey there and back by myself just for that film haha.
Old 26th April 2014, 09:41 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

EAGLE SHADOW FIST. Jackie Chan has a supporting role in this tale of resistance to the Japanese invasion of China. A bit slow and talky to start with but by the end all manner of mayhem is unleashed as women are sexual assaulted, eyes are poked out, Jackie gets water boarded before being killed and a couple of children get their spines snapped for good measure.

RUMBLE IN HONG KONG aka THE YOUNG TIGER aka POLICE WOMAN. Fun crime exploiter with Jackie Chan as the head of a gang of street punks searching for a missing purse and being hunted down by a chop stocky police woman. Jackie sports a rather fetching hairy mole on his face in this one.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Colourful and good looking production from the House Of Hammer. Filmed entirely at Bray Studios and not venturing out on location, this movie is driven along more through dialogue than anything else. Peter Cushing was originally up for the role of Dr. Georges Bonnet until sickness caused him to turn the role down. Columbia hid the film away on double bill showings and the film did not get much exposure,but like all of Hammer's films I find it rather awesome!

Old 27th April 2014, 07:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Survivor 1981

Aussie soap Verteran Denzil Howson Boards Robert Powell's Airplane with a bomb in his briefcase,causing the plane to crash killing all 300 on Board. Jenny Agutter walks around like a lemon for half an hour possibly looking for an American Werewolf in Melbourne? as she is apparently a psychic being contacted by a little girl with a cresote stain on her face and her BBQ'd Barbie doll. Little evil Girl soon Off's the psycho Nurse (Adrian Wright) from Prisoner Cell Block H & Martin Healy (Paul Sonika) from Son's & Daughters (who thankfully had no dialogue if his run in S & D is indicative of his acting skills.

Agutter wails and flounders like an alcoholic wasp convincing Powell to time travel to meet his ghostly passengers,she must be a crap psychic to not know he is also dead!

2 creepy scenes,otherwise this is a poor adaption of a Herbert Book,run of the mill yawnfest which frankly bores beyond words.

Beautifulprint from Scorpion but.

Long Weekend

More Aussie Horror. The Actress who Played Susan Rice in Prisoner (Briony Behet) (thank chrtist her acting in this is a vast improvement to prisoner) and her Husband abuse nature by accidentally squashing and mutilating every animal in the Aussie Wilderness whilst tossing fag ends,beer cans & food wrappings all over the beach & wilderness. This is actually a very good film with a fantastic Karma ending for both husband and wife. (Synapse release)

Dark Night of the Scarecrow

I fail to see the appeal of this made for tv horror. What starts off very well soon lapses into an overlong bloodless borefest,even Larry Drake couldn't save this one.

Boy Meets Girl

Not going to waste much time on this so called Horror comedy Samantha Mumba who had 3 songs out in 2000 1 which wasn't too bad has a dead Boyfriend and Brookside's Trevor Jordache (Bryan Murray) for a Father what could possibly go wrong? Not the worst film I have seen of late but It certainly won't be in my top 20 of all time anytime soon either!.
Old 27th April 2014, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Transcendence - 4/10

Very disappointing. It's quite bland and just keeps defying logic, with the bizarre notion that nanobots are capable of EVERYTHING, resulting in magic rather than sci-fi. Also, Johnny Depp's character is completely emotionless and lacking in personality.
Old 27th April 2014, 08:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
Boy Meets Girl

Not going to waste much time on this so called Horror comedy Samantha Mumba who had 3 songs out in 2000 1 which wasn't too bad has a dead Boyfriend and Brookside's Trevor Jordache (Bryan Murray) for a Father what could possibly go wrong? Not the worst film I have seen of late but It certainly won't be in my top 20 of all time anytime soon either!.
I really like this. Seen it a few times.

It's not demanding, just a nice easy watch with fun characters and dialogue and a decent amount of gore. One of the better zombie films from this century in my opinion.
Old 27th April 2014, 08:39 PM
Cult Addict

NOAH.

In his black and wight debut PI, the films protagonist talks about how his mother told him not to stare at the sun so he did and nearly lost his eyesight as a result. It ends up as a metaphor for the whole film, about how forbidden knowledge can be a dangerous thing and man's ability to bring about his own downfall through his curiosity. The film blended modern mathematics with ancient Jewish mysticism in a film that explored both faith and rational science.

Director Darren Aronofsky seems to love exploring mythology. Be it the kabbalah of Pi, The fractured American dream in Requiem for a dream, the time spanning love story of the fountain, the modern american gladiators of the wrestler, and the intense dedication to perfection for art that results in total breakdown and Here in Noah a tale from the biggest selling collection of mythological tales ever produced, the Bible.

Certainly its not the tale those familiar with the King James bible might recognise. The Writer and Director have gone back to the version of the story that predates the edited down version found in modern bibles and tells a much darker, mythic tale than the sunday school version most are familiar with.

It seems to have become a tale of a man torn between and almost psychopathic level of religious devotion and his own moral compass. There is no god giving easy answers here, its back to the old testament wrath and frankly god comes across as something of a bastard as a result.

Personally I think this makes an excellent addition to Aronofsky's filmography. Its certainly epic, its chock full of human drama and offers no easy answers for anything. It's also bolstered with another great score from Clint mansell.
Old 27th April 2014, 09:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Acolytes

A Great Aussie Thriller about a group of teens who make the mistake of trying to blackmail a murderer,Not quite Wolf Creeks Mick Taylor standard but all the same the film has it's own Merits and is not well enough Known. It also has some shortcomings but that's Ozploitation for you. Look Out for the Fantastic Anthony Phelan who puts in a one scene appearance as a Murder victims Father.

House on Sorority Row.

I revisited this tonight as it was long overdue Enjoyed the 1983 slasher very much so much so I have ordered an upgrade with a copy of the new Blu. Fairly Original for it's setting & era not just a run of the mill carbon copy.
Old 27th April 2014, 11:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

WHITE DOG – From the great Sam Fuller, ‘White Dog’ is about the rehabilitation of a racist hound programmed to attack black people by some sickly trailer trash. A young actress befriends the confused mutt after a close roadside encounter, but understandably freaks out when said beast starts going for her friends. An animal trainer with an agenda of his own is duly enlisted. Is ‘White Dog’ a lost classic? I don’t know, but I really liked it. It manages to pitch its social commentary alongside a fast moving ‘B movie’ quality without seeming clunky… in fact, what I liked about it most was that it just seems so odd (and slightly brave) in concept if not in execution. Ironically (or not), ‘White Dog’ fell victim to the kind of groupthink it was trying to skewer, this time by those crazy radicals at Paramount who suppressed the film, saying they were worried it might appear racist itself… don’t know whether they were being particularly sincere on this count, as the film’s message regarding racial violence is unambiguous, despite the pessimistic tone and ending.

SICK GIRL – About a young woman who struggles to bring up her bullied younger brother whilst her older sib is doing his bit for American imperialism overseas… things are difficult, so naturally she starts murdering and torturing the losers who are making said younger brother’s life a misery. I quite liked ‘Sick Girl’, but was possibly primed for something a bit more transgressive than what was ultimately on offer, having read plenty of reviews zeroing in on supposed oodles of twisted depravity. Well, there are a couple of obvious warped highlights, but nothing to massively perturb (although maybe I should be a lot more worried at the concept and image of bratty prom queen type being anally assaulted by a severed cock mounted on a plinth than I obviously am). There is a nicely bleak, downbeat quality to ‘Sick Girl’ that resonates more than its attempts to shock, and is somehow captured by the post-Carpenter synth dirge soundtrack.

OGROFF, THE MAD MUTILATOR – One for fans of zero budget no-fi fanboy super 8 back yard classics, ‘Ogroff’ is the notorious 1983 debut of Norbert Moutier and has only just made it in the last couple of years to legit DVDdom. I can’t remember whether I’ve reviewed it before now or not as I’ve had one of the many bootlegs for ages (not that I endorse that kind of thing etc etc etc). It doesn’t really improve with repeated viewings, that’s for sure, Basically, there is a silent, murdering psychopath who hangs out in some woods and kills a lot of people. That’s kind of it. OK, no, there are a quite few surprising aspects – ‘Ogroff’s hidden depths include a sort-of love story thread involving the mute psychopath and a fan who just seems to seek him out in his lair, a few political / satirical stabs, a final reel which is all about zombies, and Howard Vernon as a vampire. What really works for me is the dreaminess – the throbbing, pulsating semi-industrial electronics on the soundtrack, the knackered editing, the near wordlessness. The humour at play just seems a bit too cute at times, though. I still really like it. It’s obviously akin to Nathan Schiff, but, if it’s more knowing in its tongue in cheek way, it’s also a lot more ambitious on some levels… an acquired taste, but essential viewing for anyone interested in the evolution of microbudget horror.

DARKMAN – When I first saw this, years ago, I thought “Bollocks to you Sam Raimi, I hate you for not making ‘Evil Dead’ again”. I was a student know-nothing and it was late and I was drunk. Picking a copy up from CEX the other day and sitting down with it for the first time in over a decade I found a highly entertaining piece of hokum which rolled along nicely and threw in enough of its directors pre-big studio ‘wackiness’ (you know what I mean, crazy camera angles, florid outbursts of stylisation, bonkers montages) to keep me intrigued. As I’m sure all are aware, it’s a kind of comic book updating of ‘Phantom of the Opera’, with Liam Neeson as a disfigured scientist visiting revenge on the mobsters who left him for dead. Definitely recommended for those on the look out for trash with panache.
Old 28th April 2014, 10:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really like this. Seen it a few times.

It's not demanding, just a nice easy watch with fun characters and dialogue and a decent amount of gore. One of the better zombie films from this century in my opinion.
Isn't this one called Boy Eats Girl btw?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!