Old 7th June 2014, 02:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Quoting myself here.

When you compare the series The Pacific to Band of Brothers, then The Pacific comes across as very dull.

Must be the difference between the two conflicts.
I enjoyed The Pacific a whole lot more when I saw it a second time, though still prefer Band of Brothers, putting the initial disparity between the two down to studying the Second World War in Europe at school and having an interest in the European conflict outside of school, whereas I haven't really been educated/informed about the war in the Pacific.
Old 7th June 2014, 02:57 PM
Active Cultist

Bargain of the moment has to be Grindhouse Releasings blu of The Swimmer for 11 quid on Amazon sellers. I saw it for the first time last night and have been pondering it ever since. What starts off as a strangely cheesy trip through suburban swimming pools becomes a dark meditation on middle age and squandered youth. The fractured mind narrative device surely influenced many a modern head trip - Memento springs immediately to mind. When this ends you immediately want to watch it again and scrutinise every line of dialogue - this equals a successful movie in my book. Burt Lancaster is fantastic in what must be the most revealing role in cinema history. Grab this before it goes of print as it will inevitably do at some point.
Old 7th June 2014, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remo the adventure begins

Loved it! A fantastic bit of 80s cheese. Great cast with interesting characters, especially Chiun. Action and comedy with a little romance in the form of captain janeaway herself Kate Mulgrew. The scene with the dogs had me in stitches, but also a little sad as had two doberman pinscher ( Zeus and Apollo, yes I know not very original ) growing up. A film that I will happily upgrade to blu ray. 9/10
Real shame it didn't to good enough to get more movies or even better a TV series .
Old 8th June 2014, 01:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Contraband (1980)

Perhaps not one of Lucio Fulci's more celebrated films, Contraband is still a fine late example of the Italian crime school. Whilst not up with the best of the genre (My personal favourites are Violent Naples, Rome Armed to the Teeth, The Cop in Blue Jeans, Street Law and Beast With a Gun) it's a film full of action and loaded with Fulci's trademark violence. The film about gang wars, revenge, smuggling and crime bosses is nothing new and doesn't add much to the genre, but it's a film that's difficult to dislike or criticize because it's all done with such verve. The dvd cover depicts a bullet to the head of a punter at the races but that doesn't come close in the grue stakes to the bullet in the neck sequence. So whilst Contraband may not be the most original poliziotteschi, it's certainly one of the goriest.

Fabio Testi gives a fine performance as the films anti hero Luca, and Fulci keeps the story moving fairly quickly as we wait with baited breath to see what else the effects maestro's shatter our senses with.

I tried watching the film subtitled with the Italian audio. Unfortunately its pretty poor and sounds weak and hissy compared to the strong English version. However this gripe aside, Contraband is a very welcome release from Shameless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luca_p.jpg (68.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 8th June 2014, 02:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Went out to the flicks to see A million ways to die in the west which, but for a couple of moments that I won't spoil here, is unambitious, unimaginative and unfunny. A huge, if not unexpected, disappointment.
Old 8th June 2014, 02:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Went out to the flicks to see A million ways to die in the west which, but for a couple of moments that I won't spoil here, is unambitious, unimaginative and unfunny. A huge, if not unexpected, disappointment.
Really not surprised , that's what I was expecting
Old 8th June 2014, 04:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
I thought it was incredibly lazy, poorly structured and overreliant and unfunny dick and fart jokes. Seth MacFarlane is a great voice actor, but a terrible screen actor and I only laughed once, which is when Charlize Theron was laughing and it was a little contagious.

That said, it was a little better than Grace of Monaco, which is utterly abysmal.
Old 8th June 2014, 04:51 PM
Cultist

The Black Cat by Fulci.

I really liked this one! It gets much more shit than it deserves and maybe it was a little slow at certain parts but overall good!
Mojo, bdc, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 8th June 2014, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showdown in little Tokyo

Some great action but it laked that certain something, also the two stars had zero chemistry together. 6/10

Next up rubber
Old 8th June 2014, 07:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Contraband (1980)

Perhaps not one of Lucio Fulci's more celebrated films, Contraband is still a fine late example of the Italian crime school. Whilst not up with the best of the genre (My personal favourites are Violent Naples, Rome Armed to the Teeth, The Cop in Blue Jeans, Street Law and Beast With a Gun) it's a film full of action and loaded with Fulci's trademark violence. The film about gang wars, revenge, smuggling and crime bosses is nothing new and doesn't add much to the genre, but it's a film that's difficult to dislike or criticize because it's all done with such verve. The dvd cover depicts a bullet to the head of a punter at the races but that doesn't come close in the grue stakes to the bullet in the neck sequence. So whilst Contraband may not be the most original poliziotteschi, it's certainly one of the goriest.

Fabio Testi gives a fine performance as the films anti hero Luca, and Fulci keeps the story moving fairly quickly as we wait with baited breath to see what else the effects maestro's shatter our senses with.

I tried watching the film subtitled with the Italian audio. Unfortunately its pretty poor and sounds weak and hissy compared to the strong English version. However this gripe aside, Contraband is a very welcome release from Shameless.
I don't buy many dvds any more but I fancy this. What's the pq like Dem?

Like this? Share it using the links below!