Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2014, 05:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Original double bill...

PLANET OF THE APES (1968) BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES (1972)

Awesome double bill. I love the opening scenes when the spaceship lands in the water and the astronauts trek across the barren wastes. Fantastic ending to the first film. I remember when I first saw this. I had no idea what the hell that was Taylor was looking at until the big reveal. Highlight of the second film for me is when Brent and Nova descend into the caves and find the subway systems and Nova finds her voice.

"TAYLOR"..... !
Old 28th June 2014, 06:13 PM
Active Cultist

Friday night/Saturday morning triple bills don't get any better than this -
Out of the Past - What a grim web Jaques Tournier weaves here, the spider appears to be Kirk Douglas's grinning psycho but is actually Jane Greer as the definitive femme fatale. Hapless fly is a brilliant Robert Mitchum, wisecracking his way to the grave. What an incredible film - DVD looks great but blu ray a must.
Ace in the Hole - I'm flabbergasted at how funny, tragic, and above all prescient this movie is. Another amazing Kirk Douglas turn - I usually love cynical characters but Channing Tatum tested even my limits. His dialogue is so good though and so well delivered part of you wants to see him pull it off - and then you think about whats actually happening - a man dying - and you hate yourself. The movie's point In a nutshell, I think - most of our pleasures derive from the misery of others - with globalisation a fact more relevant now than when this was filmed. I'm resolved to see as many Billy Wilder movies as I can - every one so far has been a masterpiece.
Sweet Smell of Success - more hard boiled (20 minutes at least) patter, more classic performances. Story didn't grip me like the first two but I could watch Lancaster and Curtis fire barbs all night and the ending seals the deal. If you want classic Hollywood at its peak all three of these movies are highly recommended.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:32 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE HARRY HILL MOVIE. This frightened the shit out of the little MTDSs at first, but after I assured them that Harry Hill was not the strange bloke with a Bristol accent I'd warned them not to speak to if he approached them, they really enjoyed it. Worth seeing alone for the underwater song with Harry and Sheridan Smith as a shell woman looking like a 70s Dr Who monster.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:42 PM
Cult Addict

Scenes of the crime.

A young mechanic works as a driver for a mobster. He's driving one of his bosses henchmen the day before his wedding and as a result end up part of a kdnap of a rival crook played by Jeff Bridges.

Things go very wrong when the mobster is killed by bridges henchmen (Noah wyle from ER playing against type as a sociopathic killer and Henry Rollins) and a stand of ensues.

This a fun, low budget indie crime thriller from 2001 that does little original with its subject matter but does it well. As part of a four film set that costs about a fiver it was certainly worth my time.

Relentless.

The reason I bought the set. Directed by Bill Lustig the film start Leo Rossi as a new york cop moved to LA and partnered up with Robert Loggia. The pair are at odds at first but soon bond in the hunt for a deranged serial killer played by 80's teen heart throb Judd nelson.

Relentless is an excellent thriller that proves Lustig is a more than capable director with more mainstream commercial material. The film is great fun and genuinely suspensful. There are three sequels all of which are dirt cheap to pick up bar number 2 which is freakishly expensive.

Two more to go but these made the mill creek set worth picking up.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:45 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE HARRY HILL MOVIE. This frightened the shit out of the little MTDSs at first, but after I assured them that Harry Hill was not the strange bloke with a Bristol accent I'd warned them not to speak to if he approached them, they really enjoyed it. Worth seeing alone for the underwater song with Harry and Sheridan Smith as a shell woman looking like a 70s Dr Who monster.
Had no interest in seeing this until I read this post think I'm gonna buy it now when it's out
Old 29th June 2014, 12:07 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Had no interest in seeing this until I read this post think I'm gonna buy it now when it's out
If you have the sense of humour of a 6 and 8 year old, you'll love it. My kids pissed themselves laughing all the way through it.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:11 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
If you have the sense of humour of a 6 and 8 year old, you'll love it. My kids pissed themselves laughing all the way through it.
I find his TV burp show funny even if I don't know anything about the soaps he makes fun of.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I find his TV burp show funny even if I don't know anything about the soaps he makes fun of.
You'll love it then.
Old 29th June 2014, 08:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Last nights trip to the cinema involved a screening of Walk of Shame (or Maedelsabend here in Germany) the latest vehicle for Elizabeth Banks. Its pretty thin stuff. Banks does the best she can with the script which sees her being put into increasingly ridiculous situations as she attempts to get from the bedroom of her one night stand to an audition as a network news anchor woman. Its occasionally fun but her monologue at the end, about the importance of being yourself, seems to be at complete odds with the preceding 90 minutes. Difficult to recommend.
Old 29th June 2014, 10:34 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Last nights trip to the cinema involved a screening of Walk of Shame (or Maedelsabend here in Germany) the latest vehicle for Elizabeth Banks. Its pretty thin stuff. Banks does the best she can with the script which sees her being put into increasingly ridiculous situations as she attempts to get from the bedroom of her one night stand to an audition as a network news anchor woman. Its occasionally fun but her monologue at the end, about the importance of being yourself, seems to be at complete odds with the preceding 90 minutes. Difficult to recommend.
Elizabeth banks seems to have the Jennifer Aniston ability to pick crap movie roles.

Was going to go to the cinema myself tonight but all that's on is Walking on sunshine that looks dreadful and Mrs Browns boys d'movie which I know some people love but I find about as funny as cancer. Then again I also hated Gavin and stacey with a firey passion and I seemed to be in the minority there as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!