Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2014, 10:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default The Signal

I managed a visit to the local cinema this evening to see The Signal which is on general release here in Germany.

As it will play Fright Fest in a month or so time I will not give too much away.

It tries hard to do something a little different, but while it has a big ambition it doesn't really work for me and so I found it rather tedious and dull. Lawrence Fishbourne is woefully miscast as an enigmatic scientist.

Tow further visits to the local Programmkino are planned for Saturday and Sunday to see The Life Aquatic and Mistaken for Strangers, both are excellent so I know the rest of the weekends viewing will be better than tonights.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversedBible View Post
Not related to this, but I love your username. 10/10.
You'll never know the struggle I had when Alan Vega dragged me through Leeds small claims court, just so I could go on 'Cult Labs' and sound vaguely enigmatic.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Robocop (2014) Hmmm, the original is far better imho.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th July 2014, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Presidio 7/10
creepshow 2 7/10
fright night 9.5/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre.jpg (26.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 41GWEGRY0AL.jpg (30.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ].jpg (105.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12th July 2014, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Monuments Men (2014)

Even though i'd read what others had said about this film it was still a different beast to what i was expecting.

It's a quiet, languid tale about a small task force of soldiers who have to try and save Europe's art treasures before the Nazi's steal or destroy them all.

Despite the fact there is practically no action whatsoever, which is fairly radical for a film set in the last months of WW2, it's still an interesting and attention grabbing piece which is nicely acted to the point of underplaying by it's top notch cast of George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Cate Blanchett, Jean Dujardin and Hugh Bonneville.

Some may think me loopy but it felt like Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds, but made in the forties and without the QT influence.

I enjoyed it and would recommend it to those who want something a little different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Monuments-Men-UK-Quad-Poster.jpg (97.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 13th July 2014, 07:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The blu-ray of Only Lovers Left Alive finally turned up in my local video store on Friday. The DVD has been available for 2 or 3 weeks. This was my second viewing, after catching it in the cinema earlier in the year, and I remain impressed, perhaps more so. This is easily Jarmusch's best film in some time.
keirarts and jhippyfro like this.

Last edited by SShaw; 13th July 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 13th July 2014, 01:22 PM
Cult Addict

Stoker

stok.jpg

Been meaning to watch this for a while because i'd heard good things about it, finally got round to it the other day at a friends house, during the film she said it reminded her of a Hitchcock film but couldn't remember which one. Looking around on google i found that there are some similarities with the set up for the film Shadow of a doubt, but i haven't seen it so can't say anything more,just thought that was QI.
Anyway, I really enjoyed Stoker, for a film with some quite big stars it seemed quite subversive (i'm thinking about the shower scene for instance ).
From the start it's well made and draws you in with nice photography and quite an unusual style and is quite hypnotic i found.
Made by the director of Oldboy(which i think is the only film of his i've seen) from what i can make out it retains his visual style and experimental nature but restrains his excesses while keeping his dark intensity.
Out of the main characters Kidman is the weakest link as the girls selfish self obsessed mother, but she's still good in this.
The geezer who plays the Uncle gives an intense but controlled performance that i thought worked well but Mia Wasikowska stole the show for me and really held the film together.
Parts of this film reminded me of Psycho 2 & 3 for some reason, but thats not a bad thing.
I hadn't read much about it and wasn't aware of any of the story when i watched it and this was a good thing as i just got swept along by the film.
Recommended 9/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 13th July 2014, 01:27 PM
Cult Rookie

^ Did you notice the strange orb light in one of the rooms in the house where they lived?
For some reason that lamp stuck with me.
A lot of people didn't like this film.
I thought it was really good myself.
Old 13th July 2014, 02:02 PM
Cult Addict

Didn't notice the light, it's weird the little things that stick in the mind, i get that with some films myself. glad u liked it too.
jhippyfro likes this.

Old 13th July 2014, 02:54 PM
Cult Addict

Trick or treat

trick.jpg

Picked this up the other day on a cheap uk dvd(castle home video) with a really crappy cover. Thought i'd use this pic because it's closer to the original VHS one i saw years ago.
Anyway, hadn't seen this since the original release and even though the print was a bit washed out i still really enjoyed revisiting this film.
I've never really been a big 80's metal fan, but remember all the 80's hoo-ha about it being the devil's music and blaming some teenage suicides on certain records. This film is based around that idea with a teenager inadvertently resurrecting his dead rock idol by playing his last album backwards.
The kid gives a likeable performance, he's picked on by the schools popular kids and understandably pissed off he wants revenge, the only trouble is when his idol is bought back to life he basically just wants to slaughter everyone including the kids almost girlfriend.
Figuring this might mess up his chances of getting laid the boy decides enuff is enuff and tries to send the mean mutha back to his grave.
Along the way we get Gene Simmons from Kiss as a radio DJ, Ozzy Osbourne as a preacher talking on TV about rock'n roll being Satan's work (which is great fun) and the undead rocker zapping about the place using electric outlets and stereo speakers and getting thwarted by having his hand stuck down a flushing toilet.
All of this was directed by the little guy in the Untouchables who has a bad time going down in an elevator.
As i said i really enjoyed this, the only thing was there could have been a bit more gore going on, but really entertaining nonetheless.
Recommended if you like cheesy 80's horror. 8.5/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!