Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2014, 03:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star crash

Awful script, acting, special effects and big hooters. But god I loved ever silly minute or it. 8/10
Old 13th July 2014, 05:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Stoker

Attachment 139475

Been meaning to watch this for a while because i'd heard good things about it, finally got round to it the other day at a friends house, during the film she said it reminded her of a Hitchcock film but couldn't remember which one. Looking around on google i found that there are some similarities with the set up for the film Shadow of a doubt, but i haven't seen it so can't say anything more,just thought that was QI.
Anyway, I really enjoyed Stoker, for a film with some quite big stars it seemed quite subversive (i'm thinking about the shower scene for instance ).
From the start it's well made and draws you in with nice photography and quite an unusual style and is quite hypnotic i found.
Made by the director of Oldboy(which i think is the only film of his i've seen) from what i can make out it retains his visual style and experimental nature but restrains his excesses while keeping his dark intensity.
Out of the main characters Kidman is the weakest link as the girls selfish self obsessed mother, but she's still good in this.
The geezer who plays the Uncle gives an intense but controlled performance that i thought worked well but Mia Wasikowska stole the show for me and really held the film together.
Parts of this film reminded me of Psycho 2 & 3 for some reason, but thats not a bad thing.
I hadn't read much about it and wasn't aware of any of the story when i watched it and this was a good thing as i just got swept along by the film.
Recommended 9/10
Best film I saw it at a multiplex cinema last year. I was surprised at how much liked it since i have never been a fan of Oldboy.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th July 2014, 06:07 PM
Cult Addict

Well, blinding hangover today. Decided to while away the afternoon with final terror only to drift off asleep. Not a critique of the movie which I intend to sit and watch with a clear head. Can say that the print looks decent. I'm sure it'll get some complaints but since the original materials are long gone it's a miracle to look at compared to other dodgy releases that have been released previously.....

Woke up with a dry mouth and a head that actually felt much better so stuck Brainstorm on.

Directed by Douglas Trumbull this film is perhaps not as well regarded as SILENT RUNNING but certainly deserves a critical re-evaluation. Overshadowed at the time by Natalie Woods tragic and controversial death the film seems to have been remembered for the wrong reasons.

Its a sci-fi feature about a new technology developed by a Two brilliant scientists, one played by Louise Fletcher the other Christopher Walken. They develop a technology that allows people to record their thoughts and feelings. When Fletcher's character dies while recording Walken is keen to experience the recording but the government begins to take over the project and he find's himself locked out. While the positive applications for the technology are made clear from the beginning when the device allows both Wood and Walken's character to empathize with each other effectively saving their marriage. It's clear the military has other ideas for applications.

Made in 1983, the film harks back to the classic sci-fi of the 70's where directors would take bold elaborate ideas and attempt to present them in new and risky ways. Certainly not everything in Brainstorm works but it ultimately does not really matter because the end film is still interesting, absorbing and thought provoking.

Warners have issued it on a region free blu-ray that looks gorgeous. Some may be a little annoyed at the way the film shifts aspect ratios for the big effects sequences but I got used to it after about 20 minutes or so.

Certainly worth checking out.
Old 13th July 2014, 06:08 PM
Cult Addict

Now i'm going to give Rosemary's baby Criterion release a go!
jhippyfro likes this.
Old 13th July 2014, 07:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Next up john dies at the end. Which will be my first viewing
Demoncrat and jhippyfro like this.
Old 13th July 2014, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished john dies at the end, really enjoyed it . Should of knowing I would with who the director is. Think I will get the two books I enjoyed it so much. 9/10

Airplane

A comdie classic which is in my top 3 comedies. A film I never get bored of and every time I watch it I find something new, and don't call me shirley. 10/10
Demoncrat, keirarts and jhippyfro like this.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Camp Dread - simply awful. I really don't know how you can go wrong with a camp-based slasher but I very nearly hit the 'stop' button on this one on a few occasions. The worst thing about this was that it committed the cardinal sin of being boring, which a slasher should never really be (derivative I can take, boring not). Also, it wastes a half decent cast including Eric Roberts and slasher veterans Danielle Harris and Felissa Rose. The twist ending is actually quite clever, which only slightly saves it. 3/10.

Rampage - this has the reputation of being the 'only decent Uwe Boll film' and I can easily see why. This tale of an unbalanced young man going on a, erm, rampage is difficult viewing, which it should be, but it's one of the best treatments of this type of subject matter I've seen, whilst also never losing sight of the fact that it's still meant to be a film with a plot (see the twist ending which is implausible but also very imaginative and novel). Also, a great performance by Brendan Fletcher who (I think) I'd only previously seen in 'Freddy Vs Jason'. Enjoyed this one a lot - 8.5/10
Old 13th July 2014, 10:22 PM
Cult Addict

Rosemary's baby.

The film that pretty much kicked off the modern day set occult chiller on the big screen, Polanski's horror still works for me. Certainly for a more modern audience numbed by countless exorcist knock offs the film will probably seem to be a lot more tame than it was for audiences of its era. The film however is a masterclass of slow burning dread over cheap jump scares and is all the better for it.

I still pick up on little details I missed the last time I saw it and with the wonderful looking release Criterion have put out there's more detail than ever.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:39 PM
Cult Addict

Transcendence.
When Johnny Depp's brilliant scientist is murdered by some sort of anti technology radicals his wife uploads his consciousness into an artificial intelligence computer.
Unfortunately some great ideas are ruined in this confused mess of a film.
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th July 2014, 07:22 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Finished john dies at the end, really enjoyed it . Should of knowing I would with who the director is. Think I will get the two books I enjoyed it so much. 9/10
The book is so much better than the film, which pales in comparison.

Like this? Share it using the links below!