Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2014, 08:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just watched Drunken Master 2 with my beautiful wife at the BFI Southbank, had a grin from ear to ear. What a fantastic day we've had. Gotta love London
keirarts likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 26th July 2014, 08:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Just watched Drunken Master 2 with my beautiful wife at the BFI Southbank, had a grin from ear to ear. What a fantastic day we've had. Gotta love London

Was it the full length version?
Old 26th July 2014, 09:28 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Was it the full length version?
Unfortunately it was the international English dub version which was annoying and the print was shockingly bad, scratches and specks all over the place. Almost vhs like in quality but oh well, still great to see such a classic on the big screen

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 26th July 2014, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The haunting of Julia

Very atmospheric and disturbing film with a great atmospheric score. Not for those who like a lot of gore and action but if like a slow burning film with atmosphere and great acting and really chilling and disturbing ending this is the film for you. 9.5/10
Old 26th July 2014, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

White House Down (2013)

Totally ludicrous action movie about a terrorist coup at the White House.

Unfortunately star Channing Tatum is no Bruce Willis but this is still daft OTT fun in the Die Hard mould.

After a decidedly boring opening half hour the action begins with a flurry, quietens off a little then just escalates as we head into the final hour as director Roland Emmerich (He of that other White House bashing film Independence Day) throws everything imaginable at the screen.

Entertaining as hell yet flawed and cringe inducing at times, i'd still recommend White House Down to all action movie lovers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1370876143.jpg (79.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 27th July 2014, 07:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Some picks of films I've watched lately.

Armored:

Movie about armored car guards, who decide to rob their own delivery. Did not expect anything from this film, but it was surprisingly good fun. Recommended watch for any action/heist film fans.

7/10

Body Double:

A struggling actor gets to house-sit a fancy house with a view to an attractive woman's house, which leads him to go all peeping tom on her Rear Window style.
This film really made a huge impression on me by it's amazing atmosphere. The cinematography was amazing and I was constantly intrigued what was going to happen next. Very much under appreciated Brian De Palma gem in my opinion.
Also the Twilight Time blu-ray looks and sounds beautiful! Hopefully it gets a wider non-limited release someday.

9/10

Dressed to Kill:

Don't know how to describe the plot without spoiling it, so I won't go there.
I was really looking forward to this after watching Body Double as this is another De Palma film, but was slightly disappointed as it wasn't as atmospheric. Still though it was very enjoyable thriller with interesting characters.

7/10
Old 27th July 2014, 05:09 PM
Cult Addict

UNDER THE SKIN. Truly amazing look at what it is to be human from the point of view of an alien sex killer disguised as PJ Harvey. Incredible stuff. Go and buy it now if you don't already own it. Highly recommended.
Old 27th July 2014, 06:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just finished watching The Expendables 3, not going to post much due to spoilers but being a fan of the first 2 this really felt like a step too far, not good.
Old 27th July 2014, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
Just finished watching The Expendables 3, not going to post much due to spoilers but being a fan of the first 2 this really felt like a step too far, not good.
How have you seen that?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th July 2014, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Trans-Europ-Express (1967)

Like the rest of the films in this Alain Robbe-Grillet box set i had no prior knowledge of Trans Europ Express other than a few posts from MTDS, Bizarre_Eye and Keirarts a few months back, so watching these classy, intelligent films is a fascinating experience.

Just as with the previous film The Immotal One, any possible preconceptions are dismissed within the opening ten minutes as i was immediately thrust into an objective versus subjective scenario. The film begins with the director himself boarding the train of the title on a journey from Paris to Antwerp. He sits in a carriage with his script writer and producer and they discuss how the film will develop. Immediately we are introduced to a male character (Jean-Louis Trintignant) and three possible plots, one involving a beautiful prostitute ( Marie-France Pisier). From then on the subjective / objective battle begins. Is the action taking place coming from the discussions of the three passengers or is it actually taking place alongside the conversation? There are suggestions either way although most are rather ambiguous. The nearest film idea wise, is the Audrey Hepburn / William Holden comedy Paris When it Sizzles from 1964, which with it's French setting could have been a slight influence in the back of Robbe-Grillet's mind.

Ignoring the film's concept, Robbe-Grillet again has produced a first class piece of cinema with wonderful photography and lighting, especially the gloomy port of Antwerp which is an industrial hell hole until you actually leave the port and it's vast dock yards. The acting is excellent and the story moves along fairly rapidly incorporating drug deals and murderous bondage along the way.

Overall i didn't think Trans-Europ-Express was as successful as The Immortal One, it's ambiguity holding it back a little, meaning i may not have actually got the directors intentions at all. This withstanding, it is a bold piece of work and one i will certainly return to in the future.

Like this? Share it using the links below!