Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2014, 09:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Cheers mate, I would direct everyone to the Artificial Eye sale at Fopp just now -- I got Le Havre for 6 quid (I'll be banging on about Kaurismaki in the near future - my find of the year so far) and The Great Beauty blu is 8. Most underrated label around IMO.
Anyone picking up artificial eye blus would also be advised to check out the Hal Hartley releases!

Went to see GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (again) still lovin it, noticing more details in the film like the slugs from Slither in one of the tanks at the collectors place, Loyd Kaufman in the prison scene and Thomas Arana as the Kree Ambassador!.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Tonight's viewing

They're Playing with Fire (1984)

A bit of an oddity in as much as it was a film experiencing a bit of an identity crisis. At its core it is a student/teacher seduction story, however this is all wrapped up in a murder mystery which quickly becomes a stalk 'n' slash film. The main draw for most of the audience is Sybil Danning who plays the voluptuous teacher Diane Stevens, who seduces one of her students Jay after asking him to help out doing some chores on her yacht. The sexual 'encounters' themselves make for pretty uncomfortable viewing considering Jay looks no older than 14, despite the script shoe-horning in scenes of a jealous love-rival, him drinking at a bar, and plenty of driving; almost as if to sway the audience into believing that he is in fact of age, rather than the baby-faced gimp we see on screen. Add to this the fact that I've never been a massive fan of Danning, and her gratuitous and fairly frequent nude scenes were a little wasted on me.

However, it is after the yacht seduction that the film changes gear slightly as Stevens' corrupt husband Michael is introduced. Together they ask Jay to break into Michael's mother's home one night with the intention of frightening her into a nursing home and the Stevens' inheriting their home and cash. Jay feels used by Diane but agrees to do it, however he is frightened off at the house and runs away. Not long after the house is visited by a trigger happy masked killer who dispatches the occupants. The remainder of the film then turns into a whodunnit slasher interspersed with Danning's baps, her increasingly jealous husband, and teenage capering. Enjoyable enough, and probably even more so if you're a Danning fan.

6/10
Old 4th August 2014, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
[CENTER]They're Playing with Fire (1984)

The sexual 'encounters' themselves make for pretty uncomfortable viewing considering Jay looks no older than 14,
I never noticed anyone else in them apart from Danning.

Have you got the dvd B_E?

When i picked it up a few years back it was around £3 delivered, now it's deleted it's going for £40.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Have you seen Andrew Parkinson's "Dead Creatures"? If Leigh ever made a zombie/horror film this is how it would be. A really interesting take on the zombie genre but one depressing film. It's certainly worth a look for zombie fans to see what can be done with the genre beyond shooting 'em in the head.
Is that the one where a zombie or something is tied to a chair for half the film in a warehouse?
Old 4th August 2014, 10:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you got the dvd B_E?

When i picked it up a few years back it was around £3 delivered, now it's deleted it's going for £40.
I don't, no.

That's the problem with a lot of these films unfortunately, they go OOP and then sink into obscurity.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Is that the one where a zombie or something is tied to a chair for half the film in a warehouse?
Yep and the other half of the film is a room full of women decomposing, arguing and moaning about stuff. It's the kitchen sink apocalypse of British cinema!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Yep and the other half of the film is a room full of women decomposing, arguing and moaning about stuff. It's the kitchen sink apocalypse of British cinema!
I often agree with you, but in this case i thought it was terrible.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't, no.

That's the problem with a lot of these films unfortunately, they go OOP and then sink into obscurity.
Slightly related because it's obscure but i just ordered a giallo i'd never heard of called Tormentor, from 73, starring Robert Hoffman and Susan Scott.

Do you know of it?
Old 4th August 2014, 10:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Slightly related because it's obscure but i just ordered a giallo i'd never heard of called Tormentor, from 73, starring Robert Hoffman and Susan Scott.

Do you know of it?
I've never heard of the title in relation to a '73 film, but a quick search uncovered information that it could possibly be a re-titled release of the fairly decent but slightly dull giallo Death Carries a Cane... ?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've never heard of the title in relation to a '73 film, but a quick search uncovered information that it could possibly be a re-titled release of the fairly decent but slightly dull giallo Death Carries a Cane... ?
Yeah thats it, i've just translated it's proper title into English.

Quite pleased with that as i have Scott's other two "Death" films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!