Like Tree179447Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2014, 01:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Inbetweeners 2, 3 words: Funny as ****!
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th August 2014, 04:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death spa

Not spoiling the story for those who have not seen it, but it's a wonderful camp and bonkers 90 minutes. 9/10
Old 13th August 2014, 05:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Serial Mom: what can I say about this? It's an absolute blast. I new it was going to be crazy, being a John Waters film, but it was crazier than I had imagined! Kathleen Turner is brilliant as the perfect mum/neighbour who goes nuts whenever people offend her family values! Brilliant! 8/10

You're Next: Another excellent film! I've heard people talking a lot of shit about this film, but I really enjoyed it! Sharni Vinson is perfect a a woman who's invited to her boyfriend's (well off) parents house (mansion) when things get out of hand! I certainly would not like to get on the wrong side of her!!! 8/10
Glad i'm not the only person to enjoy you're next!
SShaw and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Two nights with two of my favourite directors.

Last night was Only Lovers Left Alive which I think may be Jarmusch's most accessible work for some time. I watched it on German blu-ray which unfortunately has forced German subs when watched in original language.

Tonight I watched the second of my Criterion blu-ray purchases, Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket. I had forgotten almost everything about this film, so it was a joy to rediscover it.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood Cult (1985)

On the surface Blood Cult appears to be a low budget shot on video slasher film, which riffs off the many 'sorority house' style slashers which preceded it. However, this aspect is blended together with a HGL Blood Feast referencing ritual cult element to the killings, whereby body parts are being removed and taken by the killer who leaves medallion 'corpse marker' calling cards on the victims.

Charles Ellis plays the oldest town sheriff in the world who is charged to find and stop the killer before they strike again (or before he himself keels over from a heart attack - whichever comes first). Therefore occult books are referenced at the local library, discussions are had with his daughter and her odd lover, and much Arby's is consumed (even whilst on stakeout). All the while the killer is still at large hacking up victims and leaving severed fingers in salad bowls all across town.

Despite its low budget and the snail's-pace the film often creeps by at, there are some fun and almost arty scenes of occult goings on including lots of OTT eye-makeup, fire, and robes as well as some nicely shot and edited kills throughout, especially considering the budget that was at play here.

Perhaps Blood Cult would have fared better under a bigger budget and a trim of some of its more unnecessary 'filler' scenes, however budget and padding aside, the overall cheesiness that this films expels from almost every pore is part of its underlying charm an makes for an overall bewilderingly enjoyable experience.

Originally posted on the Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
For those of us that own 13:Game of Death, does the remake bring anything new to the table?
It's been ages since I saw the original, Dem, but I remember quite liking it. The tone is different - I remember '... Game of Death' being quite sombre and melancholy, whereas '...Sins' is a bit more wham bam. Both have a (kind of) seriousness of intent, especially the first, but the remake revels in pyrotechnic outbursts more, lurches into black comedy sometimes, is a more knowingly 'bad taste', maybe has better flow, and looked better visually. I remember the original being more elusive, a bit more abstract. There may be some cultural subtleties, the kind of things you often need to be aware of in the first place, but plotwise and in terms of overall 'meaning', very similar. As for 'feeling', the two are miles apart, and, much as I like depresso nihilism with slight artiness, I give the remake the relative thumbs up (I think I just want to be entertained, sometimes).
Old 13th August 2014, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

An exhaustive answer. Cheers Frankie.
Old 13th August 2014, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Inbetweeners 2, 3 words: Funny as ****!
I picked the first one up in Sainsburgers last week but not around to watching it yet. We've just finished watching the series, it had me in hysterics but I think the missus found it a little crude.
Rik likes this.
Old 13th August 2014, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I picked the first one up in Sainsburgers last week but not around to watching it yet. We've just finished watching the series, it had me in hysterics but I think the missus found it a little crude.
If you enjoyed the series, then I'm sure you'll enjoy the films too
J Harker likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th August 2014, 11:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Film4's Frightfest throws up some nce things next week btw, the highlight, imo, being Night Of The Creeps (1987) next friday!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!