Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2014, 05:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's interesting to note that all the established superhero franchises have under performed in the States.

Spiderman performed the worst out of all five films, Captain America didn't come close to Iron Man's figures as two examples.

I'm not talking major misfires just not as good as hoped.
I'm not really a fan of the new wave of superhero films (however did enjoy Nolan's first two Batman films) and I'd never even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy until people started posting about it here and on Letterboxd.

I think the main gripes the detractors of these films have is how generic and recyclable they are. Basically you could plonk any Marvel character in any of the umpteen films that have been made over the past decade or so and mold the set formula around them with ease. However, that in itself dictates that if you like one of the films, you're probably going to like others - unless you really don't like the character in question. With box office sales dwindling, maybe the churning Marvel conveyor belt has seized up a little as audiences can only take so much of the same thing over and over again (?) As I said, I'm not a big watcher of these films; although I have seen a fair amount to be able to judge on both their individual and collective merits.
Old 14th August 2014, 05:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Must admit i don't think sequels help either. Take Pirates of the Caribbean and The Matrix. Two fantastic movies both of which are devalued in people's estimations by a glut of piss poor sequels.
By and large, there are far too many sequels, remakes and (bestselling) book adaptations in cinemas, with distributors feeling much safer funding a 'product' which is easily marketable rather than a film with subject matter which is unfamiliar to the general public.

In the cinema at the moment, there are the following films:

The Inbetweeners 2
The Expandables 3
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Planes: Fire and Rescue
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The Purge: Anarchy
Old 14th August 2014, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
By and large, there are far too many sequels, remakes and (bestselling) book adaptations in cinemas, with distributors feeling much safer funding a 'product' which is easily marketable rather than a film with subject matter which is unfamiliar to the general public.
I wish they'd film more best selling books. I can't get enough of John Grisham adaptations. I wish they'd take a chance with authors like Karin Slaughter (Absolutely fabulous real name for the stuff she writes) and John Connolly.
Old 14th August 2014, 05:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I wish they'd film more best selling books. I can't get enough of John Grisham adaptations. I wish they'd take a chance with authors like Karin Slaughter (Absolutely fabulous real name for the stuff she writes) and John Connolly.
Good point, but for every one of those, there is a bestselling book series – I perhaps should have been more specific – which also falls into the 'product' category along the lines of Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Twilight and the upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey series.

Some of these films are very good but, again, it shows a lack of ambition on the part of the studios and more original screenplays which will never be seen by the studio executives.
Old 14th August 2014, 06:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Hunger Games,

Seeing as you mentioned them. Are these films any good? I quite fancy seeing them but haven't got round to it.
Vipp likes this.
Old 14th August 2014, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Seeing as you mentioned them. Are these films any good? I quite fancy seeing them but haven't got round to it.
I think they are very good (although a bit like Battle Royale-Lite) and well worth watching.

I suppose the flipside to my argument is that these films encourage people to read the books, and that is a major positive.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Resurrection County (2008)

When two young couples head from the city into the Southern backwoods for a weekend camping trip, they end up in the remote town of Enoch in Resurrection County. There they run afoul of the locals, who do not take kindly to outsiders.

Resurrection County delivers nothing new to the outdoors horror genre, it's all very familiar territory, however where it does differ from it's stablemates is in it's atmosphere. Taking a leaf out of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the film, after the first twenty minutes, turns especially grim and oppressively bleak, the characters situations offering the viewer no chinks of light and not even the remotest bit of humour to lighten things. There's not even a Leatherface to root for, the atrocities we see are all done by "normal" people.

Taking in themes of religious extremism to add to the sadism and sexual violence on show, Resurrection County is a well acted, memorable film and comes recommended to fans of outdoor horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26105-0-6dad1ff35e7896a51f44f3c71a937961.jpg (92.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 14th August 2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:57 AM
Active Cultist

The 10th Victim

Really enjoyed this rather groovy futuristic film, considering its 40 years old, not sure why its still an 18 Cert though, as there are no gruesome parts, no nudity and i dont think any swearing either. The look of the film was spot on for its era, just how they imagined the future. Only complaint was the flesh coloured body armour part.
Old 15th August 2014, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
The 10th Victim

Really enjoyed this rather groovy futuristic film, considering its 40 years old, not sure why its still an 18 Cert though, as there are no gruesome parts, no nudity and i dont think any swearing either. The look of the film was spot on for its era, just how they imagined the future. Only complaint was the flesh coloured body armour part.
I think the 18 certificate (as with a lot of Shameless' releases) is more for the supplementary content (the trailer reel etc.)
anythinggoes78 likes this.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
The 10th Victim

The look of the film was spot on for its era, just how they imagined the future.
I thought that was really clever by the film makers. Showing the future by setting it largely in locations that had been around for hundreds of years, especially the final game in and around the Forum.

That way, costumes aside it will never date, and always look relevant.
anythinggoes78 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!