Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2014, 08:38 PM
Cult Rookie

Default As Above, So Below

Just checked out "As Above, So Below" at the theater. I thought the movie was good, but the shaky cam was pointless. It didn't add anything to the movie. My biggest disappointment was the film's ending. I did NOT enjoy that at all. In fact, that probably knocks my rating down quite a bit. I'll go 2.5 out of 4 Machetes for this one. Give me The Descent over this any day.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Children (1980)

The Children (of Ravensback) is a creepy little low budget film that doesn't promise much on the surface, but ends up delivering a fairly entertaining little horror film by the time the credits roll.

The parents of Ravensback are all in a panic as their children have not come home after school. The school bus has been way-laid by means of a toxic gas cloud and all the children have become irradiating zombie-esque monsters with a vendetta against adults (particularly their own parents) and a penchant for black nail varnish.

Despite the premise and the budget involved the film manages to carry some tension with decent effect, almost exhibiting a Village of the Damned quality at times ....and although both are certainly very different films, the tone to Ravensback often reminded me of the '60s classic. The effects work is also pretty decent, and although a few of the kills are carried out off-screen there is a decent amount of slaughter and adults vs. children action, which in turn helps he story along with minimal lulls in pace.

The score also reminded me of Friday the 13th, which was no surprise, as having watched the film I discovered that both scores were done by Harry Manfredini the same year.

Overall, I had fun with this one and would definitely watch it again.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
I really like this film! Despite a wave of orthodoxy about it being shit, so I'm glad I found a fellow sufferer, Bizarre_Eye. The hacking of hands is particularly affecting and upsetting... and the whole thing creeps me out. I mean, in the eyes of cinema at large (read - polite society) it's boring and a waste of time, with not even enough real schlock to justify a "yeah, so I'm into bad films" nod for most... but there's a certain magic at work somewhere at its heart, and an undercurrent of grime and unease which cuts through the mediocre everything and the obvious moves.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default The Children

Damn you Bizarre_Teardrop.

You both make me want to buy a film that is seemingly unavailable.
Old 6th September 2014, 12:43 AM
Cult Addict

If you've got a playstation 3/4 'The Children' is on Playstation store for 99p to download and keep.
Otherwise it's on you tube if you're desperate.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th September 2014, 07:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I really like this film! Despite a wave of orthodoxy about it being shit, so I'm glad I found a fellow sufferer, Bizarre_Eye. The hacking of hands is particularly affecting and upsetting... and the whole thing creeps me out. I mean, in the eyes of cinema at large (read - polite society) it's boring and a waste of time, with not even enough real schlock to justify a "yeah, so I'm into bad films" nod for most... but there's a certain magic at work somewhere at its heart, and an undercurrent of grime and unease which cuts through the mediocre everything and the obvious moves.
Totally agree, it is a great little film.
Old 6th September 2014, 10:02 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Like Nos says, it's on YT - uploaded by Troma on their channel - if you want to check it out. Well worth it, in my opinion!
Old 6th September 2014, 10:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Crater Lake Monster (1977)

Not being the biggest fan of 'Creature Features' for the most part, there is a vast cheesy low-budget back log of schlock to which I have not yet endured to experience. The Crater Lake Monster is one of those such films.

A slow, tonally erratic film concerning the discovery of a prehistoric creature in a small town's local lake. This plot itself often takes a back-seat to the capering of two hillbilly types who run a boat rental business. When they're not arguing, fighting and splashing about in the water together slapstick style they're renting boats out to tourists despite knowing there is a creature at large somewhere on the lake. There is also a strange sub-plot involving a bearded man who guns down convenience store staff and patrons alike to then steal a tiny bottle of booze...

All that said, It's impossible not to love the stop motion creature, who despite looking far from convincing (especially in close up when it reverts from a long-necked plesiosaur to a static mini T-Rex style head being moved around by two stage hands) brings a little magic to an otherwise dull and forgettable film.

Old 6th September 2014, 10:58 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Creature from Black Lake (1976)

Another 'Creature Feature', this time concerning Bigfoot.

Creature from Black Lake concerns two companions who travel to the Louisiana swamps to try and find Bigfoot. On the way they meet up with a local named Orville who's parents were killed trying to flee the creature many years before when their car hit a tree. Orville invites the duo to stay with him and his grandparents who have been responsible for raising him after his parents' untimely demise.

The biggest surprise here is how well the characters are fleshed out for such a low budget film. The performances are also solid overall, and the two leads bounce off of one another effectively to the extent that the characters portray an air of believability. This fact, whilst productive to the plot is a bit of a moot point overall considering the Bigfoot action is extremely minimal and fairly tame.

If you're looking for a fun Bigfoot film, I'd point you away from Creature from Black Lake, which came across as more of a character focused drama in many respects than the B-movie shlockfest which I had prepared myself for.

Old 6th September 2014, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

What was the quality of Black Lake like Biz?

I've held off buying the dvd due to it's so called pis poor AV.
Old 6th September 2014, 12:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Over the past few nights I have mostly been watching Christopher Nolan's back catalogue - in particular his Batman Trilogy and Inception. I have Insomnia, The Prestige and Following on the shelf ready to go next and I will have a look for Memento while I am out shopping this afternoon to complete my collection.

Two visits to the cinema planned this weekend Best Offer (which I believe was released on dvd in the U.K. under the title Deception) and Most wanted man. So expect an update soon.
PaulD likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!