All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2014, 11:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Code 7, Victim 5 (1964)

As with a lot of these Harry Allan Towers productions, Victim 5 is little more than a beautifully filmed travelogue. This time taking place in Cape Town, South Africa, and it's surrounding area. We get fabulous views of Table Mountain, go on a safari, delve deep into the Cango caves, visit an ostrich farm and go scuba diving in the gorgeous blue waves of Cape Town's beaches.

Naturally Towers movies always throw in a convoluted plot line to distract us from the stunning cinematography. This time involving former Tarzan Lex Barker as a New York detective brought in by a wealthy industrialist who fears he will be murdered. As always we are treated to a bevy of beautiful Euro totty and Ronald Fraser shows up to ogle them.

Towers of London productions have their own little charm to them, which i appreciate. Victim 5 is no different and is well worth catching for those of similar train of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg code-7-victim-5-movie-poster-1965-1020203575.jpg (95.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 13th September 2014, 01:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anthropophagus never seen this before but knew about and its notoriety etc etc etc
Was expecting some gore violence etc etc how dissapointed i was. Felt like the film was just plodding along waiting for something to happen but didnt. Slow dull and boring ok some gore was there but for the notority and fact it become of the nasties is a puzzle to me.
The most shocking thing about the eating the fetous scene is how bad and laughable it was and the fact that anyone can be offended by that scene is a joke it was rubbish .
Old 13th September 2014, 09:08 AM
Cultist

I've watched a few nasties this week inclusing Anthropagus and its sequel for the first time. I enjoyed both for what they are, there's some great locations/ sets on the first movie but as you said it's all let down by really terrible unconvincing SFX. SFX much better in the sequel (the dvd is titled Horrible but I prefer the "Absurd" alt. title) but it's a much more unfocused slow plodding movie and the dubbing sounds like they didnt have any kind of translated script but they where ad libbing the whole thing.

"Hey honey which car should we take?"
"This one. It is in front"

Heavy stuff!

Also watched Beast in Heat aka SS Hellcamp aka probably a million other things. That whole thing is so silly to be considered worth banning now. The rape scenes is essentially an ugly dude gurning at the camera for several minutes. Essentially a modern Rolling Stones video. The female scientist has much talent, I can see why she was cast.

Also watched John Russo's Midnight. The interview with the great John Ampas and the interview with the (not so great) Russo was more interesting than the feature.

In a nutshell I've been watching a lot of enjoyable nonsense this week.
Old 13th September 2014, 10:16 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Day of the Reaper (1984)

Day of the Reaper depicts a hooded cannibal killer who stalks five women who are vacationing in Sunnyville, Florida.

I knew that I was going to find this film interesting from the onset, as the beautifully simplistic but raw electro score filled my ears, and which continues throughout the film's duration. You are also treated to extreme use of coloured filters and a disclaimer stating that the film was shot on super 8, the audio having been added later. It then goes on to say that the video transfer was made by videotaping the projected image out of shoe box (!). Therefore, irrelevant of the film's other attributes, I knew I was in for an interesting experience where its sound and visuals were concerned.

The film itself was made for $1000 - and it shows. However, the makers obviously had a lot of passion for film-making and there are some obvious attempts at conveying this, along with some creative flourishes throughout. There is also a lot of padding and it is clear that most of the dialogue is improvised, most of which comes across as strained and unnecessary.

Whilst not something I'll be rushing to watch again anytime soon, Day of the Reaper was an interesting little fan-made and funded film.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
I've watched a few nasties this week inclusing Anthropagus and its sequel for the first time. I enjoyed both for what they are, there's some great locations/ sets on the first movie but as you said it's all let down by really terrible unconvincing SFX. SFX much better in the sequel (the dvd is titled Horrible but I prefer the "Absurd" alt. title) but it's a much more unfocused slow plodding movie and the dubbing sounds like they didnt have any kind of translated script but they where ad libbing the whole thing.

"Hey honey which car should we take?"
"This one. It is in front"

Heavy stuff!

Also watched Beast in Heat aka SS Hellcamp aka probably a million other things. That whole thing is so silly to be considered worth banning now. The rape scenes is essentially an ugly dude gurning at the camera for several minutes. Essentially a modern Rolling Stones video. The female scientist has much talent, I can see why she was cast.

Also watched John Russo's Midnight. The interview with the great John Ampas and the interview with the (not so great) Russo was more interesting than the feature.

In a nutshell I've been watching a lot of enjoyable nonsense this week.

How true.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th September 2014, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched 10 Rillington Place (Richard Fleischer, 1971) on BBC4 whilst shifting some dvds. Grim as always, interesting choice of tribute to "Dickie" I felt. Spotted Rudolph Walker in last scenes, better known now as Patrick Trueman from Eastenders.

I really need glasses cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th September 2014, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Attachment 144293

hunchback of the morgue

Only the third Paul Naschy film I have seen and have enjoyed them all, shame that I only recently discovered the great mans work. Here Paul a plays hunchback (Gotho) that is in love with a terminal ill girl, she dies and Gotho flips out and ends killing two men. He flees into some catacombs taking her body with him. Sometime later he meets a mad scientist Doctor Orla who tells Gotho that he will bring her back if he helps him in his experiment to created a creature. But as always things don't go as planned. Really enjoyed it and Naschy gives a ruthless yet sympathetic performance and you really feel for him. 9/10

Watching jess Franco's Dracula and the small amount I have seen I'm think it's a better film than the francis ford Coppola version
How true.

[B]
Old 13th September 2014, 04:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Default not sure if this counts but.........

recently ive been watching two failed tv shows: xaiver: renegade angel (a show on adult swim),and kaiketsu zubat (a japense show similar to the power rangers). both are extremly bizare and i highly recomend both of them.
keirarts likes this.

oh hai mark
Old 13th September 2014, 06:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Day of the Reaper (1984)

Day of the Reaper depicts a hooded cannibal killer who stalks five women who are vacationing in Sunnyville, Florida.

I knew that I was going to find this film interesting from the onset, as the beautifully simplistic but raw electro score filled my ears, and which continues throughout the film's duration. You are also treated to extreme use of coloured filters and a disclaimer stating that the film was shot on super 8, the audio having been added later. It then goes on to say that the video transfer was made by videotaping the projected image out of shoe box (!). Therefore, irrelevant of the film's other attributes, I knew I was in for an interesting experience where its sound and visuals were concerned.

The film itself was made for $1000 - and it shows. However, the makers obviously had a lot of passion for film-making and there are some obvious attempts at conveying this, along with some creative flourishes throughout. There is also a lot of padding and it is clear that most of the dialogue is improvised, most of which comes across as strained and unnecessary.

Whilst not something I'll be rushing to watch again anytime soon, Day of the Reaper was an interesting little fan-made and funded film.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Is that a Tim Ritter film - his first, maybe? If so, is it available?
Old 13th September 2014, 06:46 PM
Cult Rookie

as of right now im watching begotten.

oh hai mark

Like this? Share it using the links below!