Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2014, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict

I actually quite liked the innkeepers and 1408....

Old 26th September 2014, 01:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Innkeepers is great and Ti West is a really interesting filmmaker. The Sacrament is utterly offensive horseshit though.
Old 26th September 2014, 02:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

PAINLESS - Creepy flick with good production values, in which some kids in pre-WW2 Spain develop an affliction which leaves them unable to feel (physical) pain. They're committed to a mental institution and experimented on by various medics. Meanwhile, in the present day, a neurosurgeon crashes his car, loses his wife and finds out he has leukaemia. The extent to which his past is entwined with the pain-insensitive kids is gradually revealed. Some commentators have criticised 'Painless' for being a bit light on full-on horror, but I thought it was pretty bleak, with plenty of disturbing scenes. For much of its running time it goes for a subtle approach which works well given the subject matter - however, during the last half hour, when one of the painless kids is co-opted by the Nazis and becomes a savage killing machine, it does tend more towards direct to DVD schlocker. Not necessarily a bad thing. 'Painless' is definitely worth checking out.
Old 26th September 2014, 08:10 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I actually quite liked the innkeepers and 1408....

Me too!
Old 26th September 2014, 10:12 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A shame you didn't take to Bloody Moon, shel. It's a perverse fave of mine.
My problem with it is the same criticism that can be applied to most slasher type movies; i.e. I've seen it all before. Its all exacerbated due to the fact movie isn't really about anything and nothing really interesting happens between death scenes (that’s the worst plastic head I've seen in a long time - that should have been shot a distance avoiding any close ups - I watched Vampire Lovers at the beginning of the week and Ingrid Pitt's head was more convincing and that predates it by what ten years?) and all the dubbing people TalkReallyFastLikeThisAndNeverReallyTakeABreatheBe causeWritingActualDialogueThatReallyFitsActorsMout hIsReallyHardToDoAndThisMovieIsntReallyWorthTheEff ortIsIt so the dialogue comes off as watching a teen drama at double speed. The main character cant tell the difference between a dummy that doesn’t even have legs (so essentially a torso on a stick!) and a killer in her room, she was too dumb to live, she should have taken a Darwin award and rolled credits.

Didn't even find it entertainingly bad, it’s just bad. I don't understand why someone would watch this over something like Bay of Blood.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
My problem with it is the same criticism that can be applied to most slasher type movies; i.e. I've seen it all before. Its all exacerbated due to the fact movie isn't really about anything and nothing really interesting happens between death scenes (that’s the worst plastic head I've seen in a long time - that should have been shot a distance avoiding any close ups - I watched Vampire Lovers at the beginning of the week and Ingrid Pitt's head was more convincing and that predates it by what ten years?) and all the dubbing people TalkReallyFastLikeThisAndNeverReallyTakeABreatheBe causeWritingActualDialogueThatReallyFitsActorsMout hIsReallyHardToDoAndThisMovieIsntReallyWorthTheEff ortIsIt so the dialogue comes off as watching a teen drama at double speed. The main character cant tell the difference between a dummy that doesn’t even have legs (so essentially a torso on a stick!) and a killer in her room, she was too dumb to live, she should have taken a Darwin award and rolled credits.

Didn't even find it entertainingly bad, it’s just bad. I don't understand why someone would watch this over something like Bay of Blood.
With 'Bloody Moon', I always find it's a bit dependent on how you approach it - as a slasher film it probably doesn't amount to much, but as a Jess Franco movie, even though it's not really very typical of his output, it's more alluring, teeming with strangeness. I find myself revisiting it every now and then - play it side by side with one of the supposed exemplars of the slasher heyday (ie something like 'The Burning') and IMO the latter will seem straight and a bit lame by comparison.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:43 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Like Frankie, I enjoy it for the perversity and as an anything but atypical Franco film.

I also get more out of these stranger, less formulaic slashers than say something like the F13th series or The Burning which are a little dull to me. Most of the euro-slashers had more of a nutty disposition about them and although they are more often than not a little rougher around the edges, play much more to my sensibilities than their sometimes staler US cousins.
Old 26th September 2014, 11:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I like Bloody Moon as it sticks the knife where many American slashers fear to tread.
Old 26th September 2014, 11:48 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like Bloody Moon as it sticks the knife where many American slashers fear to tread.
i watched Bloody Moon the other day, was a first time viewing, cant compare it to The Burning as i haven't seen that yet, i found it to be a pretty forgettable film in all honesty, two things stick out in my mind the first was the Knife through the womans breast, as i wondered what made that ok to show but not the Blade Nipple in New York Ripper, and secondly was the lovely Mercedes that was used when taking the Woman up to the Saw Mill and to run the little kid down.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th September 2014, 11:50 AM
Cultist

Oh I forgot to mention the bit where the murderer takes a victim to abandoned factory and he proceeds to rope her up and she thinks its just him being kinky. He's completely masked and there's a giant saw blade directly behind her. Yeah just normal kinky sex with a stranger. Nothing unusual here.

Bloody Moon is essentially The Darwin Award movie.
keirarts and anythinggoes78 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!