Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2014, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'True Romance', region A blu. Great slice of 90's crime, that has held up really well. Forgot how many 'stars' have cameos in this - my favourites were Oldman and Walken. Ton of extras, but they'll have to wait for later.
antmumford likes this.
Old 3rd October 2014, 03:04 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
First day of grimmfest.

house at the end of time

Venuzelan gothic melodrama. Leaps between an aged women released from jail back to her decaying house and 30 years previously when the killing/dissappearance occured. Enjoyable and difficult to review without revealing its twists. Highly enjoyable and worth seeking out.

truth or dare

Nice to see a quality genre outing from a female director. Jessica cameron. It involves a group of youtube video makers chasing sensation for hits get taken hostage by their no 1 fan. Naturally things get nasty and their fan forces the group to participate in an increasingly deadly game of truth or dare. This one provoked its share of walkouts and i suspect it may have a rough ride at the hands of the bbfc. Incredibly tense and very nasty stuff indeed.

she

Short film with almost no dialogue and a spectacularly nasty ending. Interesting and well made but not sure what the film was actually trying to say.

julia

Rape revenge meets a female orientated take on fight club. Looks like ms45 as imagined by david fincher or michael mann. A young clinician is gang raped and seeks therapy from a bizarre cult that turns her into a deadly killer. Genuinely odd and beautifuly shot i really enjoyed this in spite of some flaws. Reccomended.

the well.

A post apocalyptic western where a young girl attempts to protect her home and supplys from a powerful water baron. Low budget but very entertaining the plot has shades of heavens gate. Well worth a watch.

the herd

Well shot and acted short that makes a somewhat clumsy and generalised attempt at depicting the horrors of the meat industry. Perhaps im just grumpy but it was one of those films i could tell was made by vegans.

let us prey

Visually impressive horror with a real john carpenter-esque soundtrack and visual style. Liam cunningham plays a stranger who turns up in town and quite literally unleashes hell. One of the best in show so far and highly reccomended.

suburban gothic

Richard bates jnrs follow up to excision plays more like a 90s indie movie with horror elements mixed in with a hal hartly/richard linklater vibe. Uses its 90 minutes to pick apart suburban racism and millenial angst. Personally i found it very funny indeed. Will certainly pick it up on release.

You going to see Suspiria with the live Goblin score tonight?
SShaw likes this.
Old 3rd October 2014, 04:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Recently watched Cop Land. Quite an average thriller with an all star cast. Acting was excellent, but the film was just good. Not terrible, not great. Just good.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd October 2014, 05:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Disconnected (1983)

Disconnected tells the tale of identical twins Alicia and Barbara-Anne; the latter of whom seems to delight in messing about with the former's boyfriends (and any man she comes into contact with too). Parallel to Alicia and Barbara-Anne's confrontations and relationship escapades we also have a deranged killer mutilating and murdering women, along with Alicia's freakishly bizarre surreal crank telephone calls driving her to the point of madness.

Despite its core plot points, Disconnected is far from your atypical '80s low-budget slasher fare largely thanks to the overall tone and mood of the film, which whilst difficult to pin down in a descriptive sense was a fascinating experience to behold. Whilst the film certainly treads the slasher trail to some degree, it also comes across as an experimental work in many respects steeped in its own odd brand of aesthetic weirdness. The seemingly tacked on police investigation is presented in an almost documentary like state at times too, which further enhances this film's bizarre vibe.

I got more than I bargained for with Disconnected, and whilst it won't be to everyone's tastes - slasher fans not withstanding - I'm personally glad that I stumbled across this little '80s curio.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

About to watch Suspiria at Grimmfest with a live score by Goblin, followed by the Argento cut of Dawn of the Dead. Very excited, my GF not so much
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Killer snakes (1974)

Basically it's willard 1971/2003 with snakes instead of rats. While I had sympathy for the character of Willard, I had no such feelings for the main character in this film, he was just to unlikable and weird. But was a interesting little film and if you like me you are terrified of snakes its unsettling. I don't like snakes evil creatures but dozen of these creatures appear to have been maimed and killed in the making of the film. 7/10

Next up the loreleys grasp.

Last edited by trebor8273; 3rd October 2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Killer snakes (1974)

Basically it's willard 1971/2003 with snakes instead of rats. While I had sympathy for the character of Willard, I had no such feelings for the main character in this film, he was just to unlikable and weird. But was a interesting little film and if you like me you are terrified of snakes its unsettling. I don't like snakes evil creatures but dozen of these creatures appear to have been maimed and killed in the making of the film. 7/10

Next up the loreleys grasp.
My take on the film can be read here.A Sleazy Psychosis With MTDS
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
My take on the film can be read here.A Sleazy Psychosis With MTDS
I used to enjoy reading that thread. You should resurrect it sometime if the mood takes hold.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
About to watch Suspiria at Grimmfest with a live score by Goblin, followed by the Argento cut of Dawn of the Dead. Very excited, my GF not so much

Awesome! Quick cig and a beer, then it's time for DOTD.

Incidentally, any Cult Labbers here, I'm the one in the Army of Darkness t-shirt, cap, sat with a very bored girlfriend
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I used to enjoy reading that thread. You should resurrect it sometime if the mood takes hold.
You are right, it does need jump starting but since I've swapped sex for shit blowing up to get my kicks you'll have to wait until Michael Bay teams up with Jason Statham to remake "The Taming of Rebecca" with giant robots...

Like this? Share it using the links below!