Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2014, 07:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Dogs (1976)

Dogs is just one example of the mass influx of killer animal films which came in the wake of Spielberg's Jaws. As the film going public were now scared to get in the ocean, all manner of land based fauna became ripe for exploitation to ensure they'd never even want to leave the safety of their own home again for fear of being targeted for extinction by nature's brethren; and with Dogs man's best friend was an easy target.

The film throws in some pseudo science to kick start the notion that the poodle next door would suddenly go for the kill in terms of pheromone triggers, which leads all the once loyal subservient canines of a small town to become aggressive and form packs to hunt down their human masters. The pheromone based triggers which are causing the canine chaos are linked to secret government experiments at the local school's lab, the dean of which refuses to acknowledge that there is an issue whilst he townsfolk are slowly becoming a dog's dinner.

The dog attack scenes themselves are passable, and whilst there are some interesting themes covered, Dogs doesn't stray too far off its mundane leash in terms of plot or building of suspense. Besides the domestic pet angle, there isn't really anything that stands out here when compared to many of the other animals on the rampage films of the same era - it does get bonus points for mimicking the shower scene in Psycho but with a dog, however.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 4th October 2014, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Unhinged

Couldn't get into this a bit to talky and slow with not A lot going on, people will say it's adds atmosphere but not with this film. Even the big shock ending was a let down. 5/10

Doomwatch

This was a lot better. With have a scientist that is sent to a remote island to gather samples for doomwatch a government organisation that investigate environmental problems. While on the island the scientist notices strange behavior from the locals. 8.5/10

Next up one of my favorite vampire films from the 80s which always splits opinion on here. The lost boys.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th October 2014, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Moth Diaries (2011)

The Moth Diaries is unlike any vampire film i can think of from recent memory. Harking back to the days of Hammer and Le Fanu's classic Carmilla novel, American Psycho director Mary Harron has produced a film perhaps more suited to 1961 than 2011. The film features little in the way of gore, or crash bang boom soundtracks and cheap jump scares. What we have here is actually a good old fashioned Gothic horror, albeit set in the present day. Very much influenced by classic fayre such as Lust For a Vampire with it's finishing school setting and Dracula has Risen From the Grave with it's night time roof top wanderings, i found The Moth Diaries to be a very pleasant viewing experience.

The only thing that makes the film relevant to modern audiences is a bit of an angsty suicide sub plot, there are no Twilight style romances to be seen.

The direction is flawless, allowing the viewer to get to know the various girls, whilst avoiding cliched stereotypes that normally infest American high school productions. Lily Cole, whose looks are unusual in their porcelain beauty but are perfect for Gothic horror, is excellent, as are the other two stars Sarah Bolger and Sarah Gadon, keeping the viewer on side with subtle yet strong performances. However it's the photography and lush Gothic visuals that catch the eye, not to mention a raining blood sequence that really impressed.

This film, i'm sure won't be for all. It's subtlety will pass some by, others may think it just boring, however those with an interest in Gothic horror would do well to have a look at it as it really is in the "They do make them like they used to" bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-moth-diaries-poster03.jpg (96.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 4th October 2014, 10:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Moth Diaries (2011)

The Moth Diaries is unlike any vampire film i can think of from recent memory. Harking back to the days of Hammer and Le Fanu's classic Carmilla novel, American Psycho director Mary Harron has produced a film perhaps more suited to 1961 than 2011. The film features little in the way of gore, or crash bang boom soundtracks and cheap jump scares. What we have here is actually a good old fashioned Gothic horror, albeit set in the present day. Very much influenced by classic fayre such as Lust For a Vampire with it's finishing school setting and Dracula has Risen From the Grave with it's night time roof top wanderings, i found The Moth Diaries to be a very pleasant viewing experience.

The only thing that makes the film relevant to modern audiences is a bit of an angsty suicide sub plot, there are no Twilight style romances to be seen.

The direction is flawless, allowing the viewer to get to know the various girls, whilst avoiding cliched stereotypes that normally infest American high school productions. Lily Cole, whose looks are unusual in their porcelain beauty but are perfect for Gothic horror, is excellent, as are the other two stars Sarah Bolger and Sarah Gadon, keeping the viewer on side with subtle yet strong performances. However it's the photography and lush Gothic visuals that catch the eye, not to mention a raining blood sequence that really impressed.

This film, i'm sure won't be for all. It's subtlety will pass some by, others may think it just boring, however those with an interest in Gothic horror would do well to have a look at it as it really is in the "They do make them like they used to" bracket.
I'll take a gander at this now, it's one of those films I keep skipping on Netflix but keep coming back to yet never watch.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th October 2014, 11:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'll take a gander at this now, it's one of those films I keep skipping on Netflix but keep coming back to yet never watch.
Just don't be in a "Shit blows up" mood when you turn it on.
Old 4th October 2014, 11:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just don't be in a "Shit blows up" mood when you turn it on.
To be honest Dem all I picked up from your review was "finishing school" and "raining blood". Good enough for me.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th October 2014, 06:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Boobs & blood, Hammer style - 'Vampire Circus', via the Synapse BD.
Great stuff, with some fantastic extras.
Old 5th October 2014, 07:36 AM
Cult Addict

Another day of grimm. Started the day with a showcase of short films. The highlight for me was vomica a lovecraftian horror that really nails the tone of lovecrafts work.

the forgotten

Miserablist ghost story set on a council estate. Dealing with themes of poverty and mental illness. Almost typical british cinema in some respects was still worth watching.

housebound

New zealand horror comedy abkout a young woman under house arrest in her mums apparantly haunted house. Genuinely funny and entertaining this comes highly reccomended.

coherence

Ultra low budget sci fi about a group of dinner guests caught in a quantum anomoly after a comet. Very invetive the film makes the most of its micro budget to deliver an entertaining and thought provoking film.

what we do in the shadows

Nee zealand mockumentary on vampires. Perhaps the funniest film ive seen in a long while. Highly reccomended.

starry eyes

Faustian tale of hkollywood stardom with a great electronic score and a very nasty ending. This one is worth checking out.

zombeaver

Essentially a single joke stretched for 85 minutes. This is a crude, rediculous, trashy yet entertaining film.
Old 5th October 2014, 08:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING (1964)

Terence Fisher directs this short film involving a gas attack on the earth which is leading to an alien invasion. Robot sentries walk the street killing any survivors with a touch and turning them into zombies. A group of survivors hole up in a village inn to plan how to escape and destroy the aliens.
The village where this was filmed is not far from me. The pub, shops and church are still the same. I am going back there this afternoon to have a pub lunch. Just have to make sure I do not knock down any robots. Cheers !

Old 5th October 2014, 09:19 AM
Active Cultist

I've watched a ridiculous amount of films over the past few days - first up an arty double bill, then a noir treble

3 Women - Putting aside what it all means (OK 3 stages of 1 women's psyche seen through 3 interacting characters, if that makes sense) this is a really enjoyable film - a real kick to see Carrie White and Wendy Torrance, sorry Spacek and Duvall back in their 70s heyday - both are brilliant. Lesson learned - unbroken sociables are only for guests.

Persona - Not as out there as I was expecting (after Inland Empire nothing is) but I can see how it changed the game back in the 60s. Looks incredible in this Criterion Blu ray, it's certainly compulsive, but, I have to say I wasn't blown away. Had the same experience with Marienbad - you feel you should be enjoying more than you actually are - a feeling of mild dumbness ensues. Will certainly be giving it another go though.

Kiss the Blood off My Hands - A three hander where each party seems to be in a different movie - tough moody Burt Lancaster is 100% noir, saintly Joan Fontaine is out of a period romance while Robert Newton, in full 'cor blimey chum' cockney mode has wandered in from a sub par Dickens adaptation (he did the same thing in Odd Man Out - Bill Sikes aside, he's just too ham for my taste) As you can guess this film doesn't hang together.

Sorry Wrong Number - Stanwyck at her most shrewish and unlikeable steals the film from Lancaster, who always seems awkward playing schmos. Brilliant hard core ending justifies the countless flashbacks and momentum shifts.

Follow Me Quietly - 60 ho hum minutes garnished with a few nice touches. Too much time spent on a wisecracking romance which plays like a bad Billy Wilder tribute. More time spent on the killer and this could've been a contender.

Like this? Share it using the links below!