LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2014, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Just watched Gotham on 5.
Was ok, liked the young catwoman,Penguin was good and Riddler/ivy cameo was ok.
Not really taken with Gordon yet, from 70's comics the Gordon i grew up with is more oldman to me. This seems like a problem seeing as the series is centred around his character.
Nice Production and Gotham setting, but i'm not really drawn in so far.
Will give it another go over the next few episodes but i'm not expecting that much really.
I'm not really a big fan of many new U.S drama series anyway, love Walking Dead and liked the new Battlestar but that's about it really, so i'm a difficult man to please in that regard.
Isn't Gotham basically Smallville for the Batman universe?
Old 13th October 2014, 09:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No, it is good.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
No, it is good.
Smallville was very good once they left school.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DEAD END - AKA 'Hard Shoulder'. Now that Halloween is on its way and Poundland is bulking out with mediocre horror drivel to palm off on the mostly disinterested masses who must buy something BECAUSE IT'S A POUND, I thought I'd make a start on trawling through the very likely 'mixed bag' I purchased today, if only so that fellow Cult Labsters don't necessarily have to do the same. So 'Dead End' - well, it's pretty rubbish really, although I thought it was kind of neat how those responsible for it chose a title which could double as an epitaph. "But wait Frankie, aren't you meant to be into, like, dead rubbish films or something?" Yes I am, and, with this in mind, I have to admit that I rather liked 'Dead End'. It's the lamentable tale of a middle class Brit family waylaid by some awful UK sinister fairground hillbilly types (a criminally marginalised demographic) who, yeah, are obviously brutal torturers. Some predictable stuff happens in a room, then someone escapes and there's a twist ending. It could've all been a load of sub-mediocrity, and to an extent it is but... there's a level of nastiness and ridiculousness which saves it in my eyes. There's some dad-daughter sleaze, a horrible David Mitchellesque creep who gets brutally beaten before his head's rammed down a really shitty looking toilet, fun with spittle, a dodgy rape scene in The Room (which turns out to be 'a room'), sudden shifts into ludicrous CGI surrealism, and a stupidly predictable but nihilistic ending. And some of the acting... the lead guy, or the director, can't do big emotion - "I WANT TO BE THE LEADER! I WANT TO BE THE LEADER!" Many other instances too. I'm warming even more to its image in my memory - the reality of watching it may be rather more lukewarm, but, being the sunny optimist I am, I only remember the good bits. And maybe it's worth £1.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
DEAD END - AKA 'Hard Shoulder'.
As Demoncrat would say. Sold!
Old 13th October 2014, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

I love your reviews Frankie, you've always got a point of view that i feel is considered and worthwhile.
But could you do me a big favour and start a new sentence on a new line occasionally.
When everything sort of flows on it's difficult to follow sometimes.
It's probably just me and i really don't want too offend,but when i've had a few beers it's hard to follow where one sentence ends and another begins.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:44 AM
Cult Addict

Hope i didn't offend frankie.
Anyway. Just watched 'John dies at the end' and have to admit i've had a few beers tonight so anyone with any sense can ignore my thoughts.
I really enjoyed the film, anyone else sense that Don Coscarelli is some kind of insane genius?. The film may not make a lot of sense but it's obviously a cult item that is entertaining and bears repeated viewings.

Like Phantasm,Beastmaster and Bubba ho tep he seems to just throw weird strands together and make a entertaining movie,you can almost hear his thought process- Bizarre jawa like dwarfs,psychic animals, Elvis, bugs, re-animated corpses, other dimensions etc.

I'm not saying the film works all the way through, but i really enjoyed the intro, the main character was likeable enough and i spent most of the running time thinking what the f**K.
Not predictable at all and a refreshing alternative to the by the numbers films that are everywhere these days,for that i commend it.
It also at points seemed William burroughs/Gonzo lite with it's drug fuelled bug insanity, but whatever i enjoyed it and think anyone with a love of 80's creature feature mutant madness and drug induced celluloid insanity should give it a go.
But then i have had a few beers.
8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 14th October 2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 14th October 2014, 07:53 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've said it before but, if you like the film version of John Dies at the End, you should definitely read the book by David Wong as it is so much funnier, more twisted and evocative.
Old 14th October 2014, 07:59 AM
Cult Addict

Prom night.

Years after a childhood prank turns deadly, someone's looking to kill off the kids responsible. Now all grown up into high schoolers. Could it be the child sex offender wrongly blamed for the death? Or perhaps the Greasy Janitor?

Prom night is one of those films that works in spite of itself. Its not especially gory and it takes a good hour or so before the murders start. Still though, I do enjoy it. It may be down to the cheesy disco vibe, or perhaps the great performances. Whatever the reason Prom Night has always been a lot of fun.

The synapse Blu-ray looks bloody amazing, it's certainly a step up from previous releases and well worth checking out.
Old 14th October 2014, 08:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No it's not. No awful teen angst and it's very dark in places. As said before both the young actress playing Selina and copplepot are excellent, especially the actor playing copplepot. Im really enjoy it Gordon is ok as he just starting out and the events in the series will mold him into the Gordon we know. The only one I can't get into is Sean pertwee as Alfred.

Like this? Share it using the links below!